A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Thoughts on Pizza Master Class by Vito Iacopelli?  (Read 1463 times)

Offline mlb353

• Pizza-making beginner, happy with the results!
Thoughts on Pizza Master Class by Vito Iacopelli?
« on: October 27, 2021, 04:17:39 PM »
Is anyone familiar with this master class by Vito Iacopelli?

https://master-class.pizza/?fbclid=PAAaZgQnwvwpHhq2tUeMHWQ-yJ_tAeyAOW5hL-5kolWfkNiJDJsiHUVXXimUk

I've been learning to makie pizza for a while, but I'm still relatively new. That's why I'm curious about how much this class would teach me. It was advertised to me on Facebook. I haven't heard of Vito before and his website seems a little bit sensational, which makes me think this a class targeted towards impulsive people who want to quickly impress their friends with their pizzas. I might be better of to keep studying on my own, but I want to see what more experienced pizzaiolos think. Are you familair with this masterclass? Would it be worth it to participate?

Thanks for any insight!
mlb353
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 04:27:06 PM by mlb353 »

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Re: Thoughts on Pizza Master Class by Vito Iacopelli?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 05:07:50 PM »
He's quite a salesman.   He's an experienced pizzamaker and I'm sure you'd learn something from him.  He often makes things complicated ("this is next level guys-a") but that does not necessarily make it better IMO.  I'd stay away from his NY pizza material as he clearly has no idea what that style is about.  I hear he makes good "swasage" :D 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 05:11:00 PM by jsaras »
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 05:08:49 PM »
There are lots of online videos that would probably offer you much education on the subject. Don't think I'd pay for a Master Class. Wife received a MC gift for a year and watch several classes on various subjects. She came away unimpressed with the total experience.

I recall watching another Vito video on Youtube and was not impressed.

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 05:56:51 PM »
He's entertaining...
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Online RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 11:35:25 PM »
He's quite a salesman.   He's an experienced pizzamaker and I'm sure you'd learn something from him.  He often makes things complicated ("this is next level guys-a") but that does not necessarily make it better IMO.  I'd stay away from his NY pizza material as he clearly has no idea what that style is about.  I hear he makes good "swasage" :D
"guys-a" :-D :-D That kills me. Yeah, I watched his most recent video on "next level" NY pizza dough, just for entertainment. I couldn't help noticing how he didn't even specify what kind of flour to use, but just says "flour", and also uses semolina flour in the mix, which is obviously way off the mark for this style. I like to use the stuff myself, but I would never call a pizza I made that way "New York style". I can only assume he's using some brand of "00" flour for the bulk, as he did in his first stab at the style, which is also questionable. I don't know if the guy just can't bring himself to make NY style pizza in the true style because of his strict Neapolitan standards or what, but I hope he doesn't repeat the "New York style" thing again without doing it correctly, because you can tell just looking at the pizzas in his video that they're nothing like they should be. I still like the guy, but he either needs to stick with straight Italian style pizzas or do American styles the right way.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline Peter B

• This is a marathon-not a sprint
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 06:59:23 AM »
I would skip it. You are not going to replace the knowledge that you would get from lots of practice and experimentation.
I said to my little one, "come here so I can change you".
He said "change only comes from within".  :-/

Online halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 10:36:50 AM »
For me being a novice compared to most here I've learned a lot from his videos

I've been using his "next level pizza" procedure, poolish, for neo and really like it.   He is entertaining.    I'm not sure what his class offers that he hasn't already put on youtube.  I won't pay for his class

Jerry

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2021, 10:53:20 AM »
I can't comment about the master class but just hearing him say "Soft and CROWNSHY" makes watching his youtube videos worth it!  :-D

Offline jsobolew

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2021, 03:30:03 PM »
I could see his masterclass as a way for a total newbie who knows almost nothing about pizza making and is willing to pay the money to go from start to finish quicker without all the trial and error that most of us probably went through on our own journeys. His videos are entertaining and already provide a wealth of knowledge for those willing to sit through them. I think the masterclass also probably provides a way to communicate with him directly to answer questions and get feedback which I could see as being valuable. If you already have a solid foundation, probably not worth it.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2021, 03:54:55 PM »
One could learn a lot reading these forums while making a lot of pizza.. :D
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline kori

• Supporting Member
  • Let's make pizza today!
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2021, 06:46:48 PM »
 ^^^
I SMILE AND WAVE....

Offline PezPollo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2021, 06:31:25 PM »
"Guys, take a look of this pizza: soft and crownchy at the same time! Amessing"
I learned some great tips from his channel however he is quite the businessman and maybe a bit pushy with the "like and subscribe to my channel now"...maybe that's just me.

Offline Pandasbecats

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2021, 02:50:20 AM »
"Guys, take a look of this pizza: soft and crownchy at the same time! Amessing"
I learned some great tips from his channel however he is quite the businessman and maybe a bit pushy with the "like and subscribe to my channel now"...maybe that's just me.

I like his old tips and tricks videos more than his new content. Too much filler, “wow guys”, and reminders to subscribe. Will take what’s out there as long as it’s free though.
Pizza Party Red 70x70
Pizza Party Ardore
11"x11" Wood Peel
GI Metal Azzurra 8" turning peel
Nutrimill Artiste

Online RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2021, 11:17:52 AM »
I like his old tips and tricks videos more than his new content. Too much filler, “wow guys”, and reminders to subscribe. Will take what’s out there as long as it’s free though.
I think it's probably only a matter of time before he starts to slow down dramatically with the YT content and gets back to running his pizzeria. You can only rehash the same old content so many times. He's been very generous with his time, and he's earned a solid following, but if the pizzaiolo course is his biggest online money maker and he's already pitched it as much as he can and it doesn't blow up, I would think he's got to get back to basics eventually. But I don't know. All those videos, so much monetization through all those ads, maybe he can keep it going for a while yet.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2021, 12:38:58 PM »
This site has more to offer to anyone wanting to learn how to make pizza. Wow guys is entertaining but that’s about it. 

Offline DWChun

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2021, 12:29:20 PM »
I don't think his masterclass will reveal anything that can't be found in the wealth of knowledge already established in this forum. He seems to make good neapolitan pizza and his freely available YouTube videos seem like good resources for brand new pizza making enthusiasts.

In my experience, no class or tutorial can replace getting your hands dirty/doughy.

Offline TurkeyOnRye

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2021, 02:50:36 PM »
I would never pay for a pizza making class when there are so many excellent free resources available. Pizzamaking.com is a free resource, and it's probably about as good as you can get. There are so many pizza makers on the forum willing to share their recipes, ideas, trials, errors, and successes. I just can't imagine Vito's master class being more useful.

Offline Peter B

• This is a marathon-not a sprint
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2021, 05:58:32 PM »
I suggest starting with The Pizza Bible and then use this site as you learn and figure out what questions to ask.

To me, the journey is the reward. Sometimes it is frustrating but unless you do something really bad, you still always have something edible. And eventually, you will have something that gives you a ton of pride. A class like this just seems like a reason to skip the journey. Not to mention, I have never tried his NY style but have seen a lot of comments that he has no idea what the style really is. So how do you even know that you will get what you want at the end of the class?  You might spend a lot of money and end up back here with questions anyway.
I said to my little one, "come here so I can change you".
He said "change only comes from within".  :-/

Offline SonVolt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2021, 09:37:41 AM »
I'm convinced the guy's putting on a fake Italian accent.

Online RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2021, 11:52:19 PM »
I'm convinced the guy's putting on a fake Italian accent.
There are plenty of videos of him visiting his home town in Italy and speaking fluent Italian. It's not fake.