A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Secrets and Pearls  (Read 44584 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
Pizza Secrets and Pearls
« on: December 09, 2015, 09:34:07 PM »
Pizza Secrets
1) there are no secrets
2) practice makes perfect or close enough
3) pictures or it didn't happen
4) there are no dumb questions.  Only questions that have been asked hundreds of times before. 
5) don't believe the hype
6) don't believe the "experts"
7) many paths lead to the same destination (pizza nirvana)
8) don't be a pizza jerk.
9) there is no best pizza.  Only preferences.
10) pizza is not bread, but dough is dough.
11) when in doubt, use the search function
12) give credit where credit is due
13) measure twice, mix once

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pizza Secrets and Pearls
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 09:46:11 PM »
Well said, Chau..good to hear from you!

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 09:50:33 PM »
Keep adding to the list...  :P

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 10:39:50 PM »
14. Get a scale.
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline Stevezilla

• Pizza Hates Me!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 08:36:54 AM »
Im stuck on #8   >:D

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 08:47:53 AM »
15. Don't buy Caputo or other '00' flour unless you can explain why you need it.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 11:48:29 AM »
16) In addition to getting a good scale, learn the rudiments of baker's percents and how to use them. You don't have to be a math wizard. Eventually, you will be able to use the dough calculating tools at http://www.pizzamaking.com/dough-tools.html with the best of them.

17) Read the forum's Pizza Glossary at http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizza-glossary.html; better yet, read it twice. And for the sometimes puzzling acronyms and abbreviations that members frequently use, to decipher them, see the sticky at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=20056.msg196875#msg196875

18) Look for "mentors" on the forum whose work or writings you admire or respect. They usually stand out from the crowd. Study carefully what they say or do and apply them in your own work. When I started my quest to learn about pizza, my "mentor" was Tom Lehmann. I still learn new things from him all the time but there are now several others whose work and writings I admire and respect and study carefully.

19) If at first you don't succeed, don't simply give up and leave the forum. Failure may be your companion for a while, but failure is a better teacher than success and success will eventually follow. Patience is a virtue.

20) Don't bite off more than you can chew. Learn the basics of pizza making and practice them over and over again for a given type or style of pizza until you have mastered them before moving on to more exotic things (like making and using sourdough starters).

21) When trying a recipe, try to follow the instructions given as carefully as possible. That is, try not to freelance or make material changes, in either the ingredients or instructions, since such changes can affect the chemistry or physics of the dough, its performance, and the timing of its use. If this is not possible, ask for help before proceeding.

22) Once success arrives, pay it forward. One way to do this is to become a "teacher" on the forum and help others achieve what you did or help them solve their problems. Remember, also, that most members prefer detail over generalized advice.

Peter

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 12:09:54 PM »
23) In addition to weighing out the ingredients with a scale, make sure to weigh out the dough balls. It is very hard to make judgments about what needs to improved if each pizza is a different size. The pros can scale each ball perfectly with their eyes closed. Mere humans - not so much.

Offline mchidiac

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 02:42:58 PM »
want extra crispy crust without burning the toppings? Try par baking the crust for about a minute or 2 then take it out of the oven and add your sauce and toppings. Throw it back in the oven for another 2-3 minutes and you are done.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 09:58:29 PM »
24). Always have a Plan B for when S$*T hits the fan and you have a total failure of SOMETHING! Murphy is always nearby waiting to hit you with the F.U.B.A.R. I've been FUBARed so many times I'm sure I could claim brain damage from so many hits! :o

25). NEVER, EVER, try something "new" on guests, until you have some mastery of it and have done a few test drives before getting 8-10 passengers over for dinner and it flops, epic fail, F.U.B.A.R. If in doubt see rule 24!!!

jon
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 10:16:07 PM »
26) Don't be afraid to try new ingredients, techniques/methods, pizza styles, ovens, etc.  Don't be afraid to experiment.  This is how you learn, with your hands in the dough.   There is no substitute for experience.  At the very least, you will learn how not to do something.   The folks that are doling out the advice all speak from experience, from both successes and failures.

27) It's ok to walk away from Pizza and the forum for awhile.  Sometimes we need those breaks and to allow time for new ideas to germinate.   
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:27:01 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 10:47:22 PM »
28) I know these things are reiterated throughout this forum and in some of the stickies. THIS thread would be a great sticky for everyone, particularly new folk and as mentioned before, continue adding new stuff, just the gist of it, to act as reminders and head taps!! Good thread just to revisit now and then.

jon
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline jbrod074

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 06:50:26 AM »
29) you can never preheat too long but make sure you preheat long enough.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 07:43:18 AM »
28) I know these things are reiterated throughout this forum and in some of the stickies. THIS thread would be a great sticky for everyone, particularly new folk and as mentioned before, continue adding new stuff, just the gist of it, to act as reminders and head taps!! Good thread just to revisit now and then.

jon
Jon,

I had made this thread a sticky not long after Chau started it and I even put a link to it in the introductory thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=13789.msg194999#msg194999 . However, as you can see, new members tend not to spend much time with introductory material even if it would help them get up to speed sooner and better.

Peter

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 08:01:44 AM »
24). Always have a Plan B for when S$*T hits the fan and you have a total failure of SOMETHING! Murphy is always nearby waiting to hit you with the F.U.B.A.R. I've been FUBARed so many times I'm sure I could claim brain damage from so many hits! :o

25). NEVER, EVER, try something "new" on guests, until you have some mastery of it and have done a few test drives before getting 8-10 passengers over for dinner and it flops, epic fail, F.U.B.A.R. If in doubt see rule 24!!!

jon

I ignored number 25 with my very first little black egg cook. Baked 26 pizzas to order at a party in someone else's home. 

With that in mind.....
#30  Have FUN!
Risa sin camisa, sinvergüenza.

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 08:41:09 AM »
I had made this thread a sticky not long after Chau started it and I even put a link to it in the introductory thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=13789.msg194999#msg194999 . However, as you can see, new members tend not to spend much time with introductory material even if it would help them get up to speed sooner and better.

This topic was originally a reply to a personal introduction (someone coming here for pizza secrets), so I split it off from the intro and moved it here (and made it a sticky topic).

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 09:21:16 AM »
shows how much I pay attention, nothing gets by me :-[ :-\ :P
Jon

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2016, 11:26:04 AM »
31) never under estimate the potential of that forgotten or leftover dough ball in the back of the fridge.  Some of the best pies I've made have been with these old dough balls gently reballed.

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2016, 11:39:38 AM »
#19 and #20 were certainly key for me in developing my pizza.  Everyone learns differently, but I sense that with pizza informed trial and error, with the right attitude and focus, is the path to great pizza.

19) If at first you don't succeed, don't simply give up and leave the forum. Failure may be your companion for a while, but failure is a better teacher than success and success will eventually follow. Patience is a virtue.

20) Don't bite off more than you can chew. Learn the basics of pizza making and practice them over and over again for a given type or style of pizza until you have mastered them before moving on to more exotic things (like making and using sourdough starters).

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2016, 12:32:38 PM »
Perhaps this Thread could be retitled into "Pizza Pearls".

wordpress