A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Tips for making Pizza using a kamado grill  (Read 384 times)

Offline guitartist44

• I Love Pizza!
Tips for making Pizza using a kamado grill
« on: December 21, 2017, 02:02:51 PM »
Hey everybody!  I'm looking to use my cousin's Kamado Grill he just purchased to try pizza in.  Anybody have any experience / tips with this type of grill?  He has a stone especially made to fit in it as well. I've only ever done pizza in my electric oven so I'm looking forward to using something with a hotter temp.  If you need an idea of what the grill is, here's a link to a vid of him using it.  It's also a great vid for smoked chili if you're interested

Thanks in advance for any input.  Really glad to have found this site.  I've been mining through old threads for all the pizza info i could possibly ever need.

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
Re: Tips for making Pizza using a kamado grill
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 09:52:58 PM »
I have a similar style grill, I think your main issue will be getting top heat.   Do a search here on BGE and you will get many hits.  BGE stands for Big Green Egg, which is a kamado style grill. 

Offline joe1515

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Tips for making Pizza using a kamado grill
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 11:14:20 PM »
Set the grill up for indirect cooking.  If you are using a Big Green Egg, here is how I set mine up for making pies;

Plate Setter with legs facing up, then I put the grid on top of the legs of the plate setter, roll up some tin foil or small terra-cotta pots, then put the pizza stone on top of the tin foil balls or terra-cotta pots.  One of the most important things when cooking pizza in a komado style grill is to make the sure the stone gets to over 550 degrees, not the grill but the stone.

Joe

A D V E R T I S E M E N T