A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Tonight's Pie  (Read 155587 times)

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
Re: Tonight's Pie
« Reply #500 on: December 05, 2017, 06:41:53 AM »
Man, that sure is a beauty!!! I'm beginning to crave now.  8) 

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #501 on: December 05, 2017, 08:00:40 AM »
Norm

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #502 on: December 05, 2017, 11:16:21 AM »
Maybe it is the cool weather, Roy.  I'm in Los Angeles; so it only gets so cold.  Either way, no harm done.

The First Street dough is four days old tonight, and for it's birthday, I cooked and ate it.  I gave the oven a good, long preheat so as to get good color on this one.  It was among the best pizzas I've made.  It seems to have matured faster than my GM doughs.  There was really great depth of flavor.  The color was nice, with just the amount of char I like on the bottom.  I've been trying to use a slightly lighter hand on the toppings.  The Sclafanis went on first, then freshly grated Locatelli Romano and Parmesan Reggiano, dry fresh mozzarella and a bit of LMWM mozzarella, the sausage and mushroom, and finally a light-handed drizzle of evoo.  Basil on the way out of the oven.  Everything was in proportion.  I won't say I can't do better because I'm sure someone has.  I will say that it was what I've always wanted my pizza to be.  I could taste each element.  They were well balanced, and the flavors and textures blended beautifully.  Third person:  GB is happy tonight!  Here are some pics.

Most excellent! You really hit it out of the ballpark! What a great looking pie!
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Online quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #503 on: December 06, 2017, 11:25:28 AM »
another iconic pie, gb is back!
"Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good." - Woody Allen

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #504 on: December 07, 2017, 04:12:52 PM »
another iconic pie, gb is back!

Thanks QD!

Here's something new.  A quick video of last nights pie fresh out of the oven.  The dough was now at six days, and I've got to say that I think it peaked at four.  It was a little more delicate and extensible than two days earlier, when it had performed perfectly.  The counter rise may have been a bit longer, which could account for some of that.  It was still very good.  I tried a different fresh mozzarella, a local, supposedly gourmet brand called Murray's.  It was very firm and dry for fresh mozzarella,  and it looks to me as if it barely survived the GB oven.  you can see it's started to break down.  The cheese has a very bubble-marked surface, and I think it's the source of most of that orange oil.  I have no objection to the orange drip, but it didn't contribute much in this case.  Flavor was not bad, but I much prefer my usual brand.

Let's see how this works! 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 04:36:12 PM by Glutenboy »
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #505 on: December 07, 2017, 04:39:59 PM »
Still nice, GB!  (though I know what you are saying)   

Sometimes on my older dough balls, the crust did little to hold heat in. Instead of providing a nice bed of heat, it ended up passing through to the sauce and cheese way too aggressively. One of several reasons I stopped doing longer CF's was that I could not control the density to match the crust I was going for on each effort. The beating my cheese was taking was brutal. Sauce flavors reacted differently, too, and would get too bright and spicy on me.

Roy

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #506 on: December 23, 2017, 10:33:15 PM »
Here's a general question if anyone's looking.  I know quite a few people on the forum have tried and even repeatedly used my basic formula.  I have, however varied the hydration quite a bit over the years, though not much else.  My question is, if you're one of those people, what hydration did you settle on as best for you and what kind of flour did you use?  I've hydrated as high as 70 percent and as low as 61.  I've decided to revisit the lower end and just made a 62-percent batch with First Street bread flour.  It, of course, handled much more easily.  Scaling and balling the dough was clean and fast.  I'm just wondering what insights any of you might have to share from your experience with the GB dough.

Offline Irishboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #507 on: December 29, 2017, 05:54:04 PM »
So many post its hard to see whats been changed?

Do you alow a bulk rise at room temperature of just put in the fridge?

Do you add any sugar since suck a long time used fermentation for food gor the yeast? Out of all your days what do you find the best ?

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #508 on: January 04, 2018, 03:09:35 PM »
So many post its hard to see whats been changed?

Do you alow a bulk rise at room temperature of just put in the fridge?

Do you add any sugar since suck a long time used fermentation for food gor the yeast? Out of all your days what do you find the best ?

I like to do a bulk counter rise for a couple of hours or so before balling and refrigerating.  Many people go straight to the fridge.  That initial rise definitely changes the texture of the dough, making it more elastic and smooth.  How does this affect the final product days later?  Hard to say because I've never done the experiment of dividing a batch of dough and eliminating the initial rise for half of it.  I've never added sugar, but my oven is slightly modified for high heat (I took out the heat sensor so it doesn't shut off); so I don't have a problem getting color on the crust.  If I knew I were using a lower-heat oven for an occasion, I might add sugar or malt to try to get more browning.  I've gotten pretty close, but I've never had a dough ball die of old age in the fridge, even after 2 weeks; so I don't use sugar with life extension in mind.  For me, depending on the batch, days 3-7 are the sweet spot, but I just made one last night with a 9-day-old dough ball, and it was very good.

Here are 3 shots of it.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #509 on: January 04, 2018, 04:08:53 PM »
Thanks QD!

Here's something new.  A quick video of last nights pie fresh out of the oven.  The dough was now at six days, and I've got to say that I think it peaked at four.  It was a little more delicate and extensible than two days earlier, when it had performed perfectly.  The counter rise may have been a bit longer, which could account for some of that.  It was still very good.  I tried a different fresh mozzarella, a local, supposedly gourmet brand called Murray's.  It was very firm and dry for fresh mozzarella,  and it looks to me as if it barely survived the GB oven.  you can see it's started to break down.  The cheese has a very bubble-marked surface, and I think it's the source of most of that orange oil.  I have no objection to the orange drip, but it didn't contribute much in this case.  Flavor was not bad, but I much prefer my usual brand.

Let's see how this works! 

I could hear the sizzle!
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Irishboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #510 on: January 04, 2018, 05:03:25 PM »
I have also found room bulking also give better results for me then straight in the fridge

Offline Lil Ralphie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #511 on: January 17, 2018, 05:43:56 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.

1) Vlap - All Trumps is a high-gluten flour put out by General Mills.  It's a bit hard to get, though if you poke around here, I'm sure you'll find sources.  I got mine from a GM rep I met.  It's the unbleached, unbromated variety.  (You can't get the bromated here in CA unless you bring it in from another state.)

-- GB

Hi Glutenboy I just saw this post beautiful pizza on the first page I also live in Calif. and was wondering about the Bromate  working on a recipe and wanted to try a couple of different flours from Smart and final but don't want bromated and prefer no bleach and was wondering about the bromate for sure not being in the flour I check on ingredients and have not seen bromate listed. I have a bag of Trumps and Power right now. Would really like to get some 00 in a 50# bag or some American 00. The question is I guess for sure no Bromate in California Thanks in advance sorry this is a off topic
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 02:16:46 AM by Lil Ralphie »

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
Tonight's Pie
« Reply #512 on: January 17, 2018, 05:54:45 PM »
I could hear the sizzle!
I know, right??

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #513 on: January 17, 2018, 07:39:36 PM »
I like to do a bulk counter rise for a couple of hours or so before balling and refrigerating.  Many people go straight to the fridge.  That initial rise definitely changes the texture of the dough, making it more elastic and smooth.  How does this affect the final product days later?  Hard to say because I've never done the experiment of dividing a batch of dough and eliminating the initial rise for half of it.  I've never added sugar, but my oven is slightly modified for high heat (I took out the heat sensor so it doesn't shut off); so I don't have a problem getting color on the crust.  If I knew I were using a lower-heat oven for an occasion, I might add sugar or malt to try to get more browning.  I've gotten pretty close, but I've never had a dough ball die of old age in the fridge, even after 2 weeks; so I don't use sugar with life extension in mind.  For me, depending on the batch, days 3-7 are the sweet spot, but I just made one last night with a 9-day-old dough ball, and it was very good.

Here are 3 shots of it.

Love that pie GB! Are you using fresh mozz only or adding some low moisture mozz also?

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
Tonight's Pie
« Reply #514 on: January 18, 2018, 10:36:51 PM »
Love that pie GB! Are you using fresh mozz only or adding some low moisture mozz also?

Thanks!  This one was all fresh mozz.

Hi Glutenboy I just saw this post beautiful pizza on the first page I also live in Calif. and was wondering about the Bromate  working on a recipe and wanted to try a couple of different flours from Smart and final but don't want bromated and prefer no bleach and was wondering about the bromate for sure not being in the flour I check on ingredients and have not seen bromate listed. I have a bag of Trumps and Power right now. Would really like to get some 00 in a 50# bag or some American 00. The question is I guess for sure no Bromate in California Thanks in advance sorry this is a off topic

In California it's my experience that it's hard to get bromated flour without specifically buying it through a third-party vendor from another state; so the chances of getting it without knowing it would seem pretty slim.  If you buy a 50-lb. bag of a GM flour like All Trumps, they're pretty clearly labeled as far as bleaching and bromating go.  I've looked, and it seems to me you can pretty much get any combination from bleached and bromated to unbleached and unbromated.  Just read carefully, and you shouldn't wind up with anything you don't want.  Hope that answers your question.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 09:45:34 PM by Glutenboy »

Offline Nwin

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #515 on: January 26, 2018, 06:32:26 PM »
Oh.my.god.

Just had my first attempt at GB's recipe tonight, and it was a huge success-best pizza I've made yet, by far.

Here's what I did:

All trumps Bromated 100%
Water (room temp) 61.06%
IDY .282%
Salt 2.5%
LDMP .25% (I recall reading a little bit on this, saying that it might make a small difference after 3 days, so I figured I'd try it...no idea if it mattered or not)

I've been trying my hand at a lot of pizza lately, and originally planned to only do a 3-day ferment, but life got in the way and it ended up staying in the fridge for 6 days total (made it Saturday, cooked Friday).

The steel was 540 at launch and I cooked it for about 7 minutes, turning on the broiler towards the end.  I noticed some missing spots when I first moved it, so I added a little more cheese (Galbani sliced from the deli), which explains the pieces that aren't quite as cooked.

Now for some questions I hope you can answer:

1)Do you think the LDMP made any difference at all?
2) This is my first time cooking with AT-bromated.  I can't tell you how great everything tasted and the crust had this amazing chew to it.  Is this due to the dough or the CF?  Basically, do you think I would have the same results with an unbromated AT or even just a normal bread flour?

Thanks for the recipe, man-this was great.
Nick

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #516 on: January 28, 2018, 09:33:14 PM »
Oh.my.god.

Just had my first attempt at GB's recipe tonight, and it was a huge success-best pizza I've made yet, by far.

Here's what I did:

All trumps Bromated 100%
Water (room temp) 61.06%
IDY .282%
Salt 2.5%
LDMP .25% (I recall reading a little bit on this, saying that it might make a small difference after 3 days, so I figured I'd try it...no idea if it mattered or not)

I've been trying my hand at a lot of pizza lately, and originally planned to only do a 3-day ferment, but life got in the way and it ended up staying in the fridge for 6 days total (made it Saturday, cooked Friday).

The steel was 540 at launch and I cooked it for about 7 minutes, turning on the broiler towards the end.  I noticed some missing spots when I first moved it, so I added a little more cheese (Galbani sliced from the deli), which explains the pieces that aren't quite as cooked.

Now for some questions I hope you can answer:

1)Do you think the LDMP made any difference at all?
2) This is my first time cooking with AT-bromated.  I can't tell you how great everything tasted and the crust had this amazing chew to it.  Is this due to the dough or the CF?  Basically, do you think I would have the same results with an unbromated AT or even just a normal bread flour?

Thanks for the recipe, man-this was great.

Nice crumb and great color on the bottom.  I haven't played around with LDMP or bromated flour for that matter; so it's hard for me to give you a good response.  I just wanted to give you my compliments and say I'm glad it worked out so well for you.

Offline Pizzabro

• I Love Pizza!
    • The Right Crust
« Reply #517 on: January 29, 2018, 04:19:41 PM »
Great looking pie! Love the cornicione!
My pizza blog- www.therightcrust.com

Offline Nwin

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #518 on: February 05, 2018, 08:34:09 AM »
So I did another attempt at this pie last night for the superbowl, only with two changes:

1) I used the non-bromated All Trumps
2) It only CF'ed for 3 days

Most notable things were that I had to actually add about 15g of water compared to last time, which boosted the hydration by about 4-5%.  The dough just wasn't coming together as well as the bromated...not sure why.  Also, when I cooked it, there was not nearly as much oven spring.  I'm not sure if that's due using the non-bromated version, or it didn't CF as long as the last one (6 days), or a combination of both.

Still, the pizza tasted amazing...just wish it had a bit more oven spring.  This dough also stretched perfectly...It felt like I could do nothing wrong with the dough. I have a second dough ball still in the fridge so I might wait until that's 6 days mature so I can do a side by side test of the two...maybe that will help me rule out bromated vs non-bromated.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 08:35:42 AM by Nwin »
Nick

Offline Nwin

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #519 on: February 07, 2018, 06:42:37 PM »
Another attempt with the same dough as last time, but with 6 days of ferment time.  The result?  Absolutely delicious, and we think a bit better than using AT-bromated. The bromated seemed almost too...chewy in some aspects?  This dough tonight was wonderful to work with and tasted amazing, with a great amount of oven spring, though not as much as the bromated...I did use a slightly bigger rim when making this.

Still having problems with the dough and cheese sliding when I move from the peel to the steel, so I need to work on that, but it was a great pizza.  Next I'll have to try KABF just to see how much of a difference it is to me.
Nick