Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by jeffver on 05 Apr 2016
  • I just joined the site, have been a passionate home pizza chef for years.  I signed up here to see if I could replicate Zachary's stuffed pizza(Berkeley, CA) as I have made several attempts with varying degrees of success.  Well, with combining various recipes I did a pretty good job.  came out surprisingly similar to Zachary's

Here is what I did:  I used Pizza Garage's Laminated dough recipe using KABF

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30449.msg303645#msg303645

Next, I used a spinach and mushroom filling recipe from Steve on "chicago stuffed" thread reply#8

2 pounds fresh spinach, washed, dried, chopped
    1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, washed and sliced
    1 small yellow onion, chopped
    1 Tablespoon EVOO
    4 cloves garlic
    1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    salt and pepper

Heat olive oil in large skillet, add garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes and cook until garlic is tan. Add spinach and cook over medium high heat until spinach wilts and some of the excess liquid has evaporated.  Drain in a colander and let cool. Blanch mushrooms and onions in boiling water (in separate batches). Drain and set aside until cool. Mix cooled spinach, mushrooms, onions, and cheese in a large mixing bowl and fill the pizza.

next, a sauce recipe of my own:

28oz can crushed tomatoes
    1/2 can diced tomatoes
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper
    1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
    1/2 tsp oregano
    3 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 tsp red wine vinegar
    2 tsp Italian seasoning
    1/2 tsp roasted garlic powder (badia)
    1 T pure OO

heat OO in pan over medium and add crushed garlic for 1 min.  add tomatoes.  bring to low simmer.  add spices/vinegar and simmer for 3-4 min.  adjust seasonings to taste. 

I used 16oz part skim mozz, 3oz romano, 3oz parm

I docked the dough after working. 

I used a stone, and a 14" chicago metallic commercial II pan, which I lined with shortening and 1 T of butter, brushed liberally. 
    baked at 475 degrees for 25 minutes. 

thank you everyone here for all your passion and knowledge that helped me to make this and I'm sure many more in the future.  I moved from California 2 years ago and have been craving this pie since then.  My wife said it even made her remember the old neighborhood while eating it.  couldn't ask for more. 

attached are photos of the result:

-Jeff
  • #2 by PizzaGarage on 05 Apr 2016
  • Glad it worked out for you to enjoy, looks like a nice pie....sauce looks great too!
  • #3 by Ronk on 05 Apr 2016
  • If your wife said it made her remember the old neighborhood, i would say you hit a home run.
  • #4 by mudman on 05 Apr 2016
  • I sure have eaten a lot of Zachary's over the years. Looks as though you did a fine job. Thanks for sharing.
Pages:
Actions