A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
Off-Topic Foods / Re: Today's Bread
« Last post by NYSS on Today at 09:36:22 PM »
Tony is right..you're off to great start. Maybe just go the Forkish way and  try 78...all AP flours aren't completely alike, and the next loaf will be 33.3% more experienced :)

Thanks!

I definitely have the bread baking bug now!
Hearth Ovens / Re: Need recommendations for indoor WFO for our home
« Last post by scott r on Today at 09:17:07 PM »
Scott, thanks for the advice!  Do you have any models that you'd recommend?

I am very knowledgeable about the current commercial offerings, but not about all the many options for residential ovens as the market seems to have exploded lately.   I think you should hear about quite a few options here as others see this thread and try to help out.
Shop Talk / Re: One man shop
« Last post by scott r on Today at 09:11:41 PM »
and you will get LOTS of people that like to talk.   Not to mention emergencies happen, including the need to go to the bathroom lol! 
Hearth Ovens / Re: Need recommendations for indoor WFO for our home
« Last post by JeffShoaf on Today at 08:54:14 PM »
The Fontana Forni commercial ovens are rated for indoor use but I don't know about their residential ovens. I'm sure they can advise you if you call them.
« Last post by Little bean on Today at 08:49:01 PM »
Even when Beddia was in his original spot doing 40 pies a night his register guy was often working harder than he was. Couldnt imagine him doing all that himself. Its very easy to make, cook, cut and box 25 pies. What is not easy is dealing with customers. If you get someone who likes to talk you cant just step away.
Off-Topic Foods / Re: Today's Bread
« Last post by norcoscia on Today at 07:59:40 PM »
Had a bunch of sourdough discard so decided to make a quick garbage focaccia, came out tasting pretty darn good - browned it up about 30 seconds too long under the broiler but that did not seem to impact flavor. 50% discard, 50% BRM AP, 2% salt with water adjusted to ~75% hydration.
Also, Michael, the designer of the oven is a member and surely he is much more knowledgeable about his oven than me.

Michael hasn't logged on to the forum since last January. I hope Breville hasn't abandoned efforts to improve this oven.
« Last post by scott r on Today at 07:22:06 PM »
I agree... you need to expect to have to pay one other person to be there while you are open for business. 
 Hi, Larry answering your post. I'm thinking GF will not react the same as a  flour-based crust. you might want to look at Roberto from Keste's to see what the bake looks like with his GF flour. if it has what you are looking for then it can probably be done with the Breville.
 When I got my Breville my goal was an under 2-minute pizza.
  I looked at what was being done in the P134H electric ovens to produce a under 2 minute pizza. they added height to the stone to get it closer to the top element. so, that is what I tried. I used a .65 thick stone from California pizza stones to get my floor closer to the top. it raised my floor temperature to 825 degrees. my cook times came down by 15 to 30 seconds. the pizza was soft and very close to my wood-fired bakes.
 the reason that I mentioned it not making a major difference is that others are getting good results in stock form. so, this is just my cooking technique and may not help you at all. Also, Michael, the designer of the oven is a member and surely he is much more knowledgeable about his oven than me.
  one thing they did do is go with a white stone for all ovens and they may have found a benefit to a white stone.
 the Breville is an amazing pizza oven. keep experimenting and you will find a method that will get you close to high heat wood oven results.
BUMP OLD THREAD.

My city has opened up and is allowing licenses for street food vendors.  I have a question that maybe somebody here has some experience and could shed some insight.  I've been looking at wine fridges to use so I could have something dedicated to CF the dough in. But as I thought about it, I'm in So Cal, and when summer rolls around there will be nights where it's in the 80s and even low 90s. If I set up at 8PM and am there until midnight, after a few hours out there those temps would reak havoc on the dough.  So my idea is to get a thermoelectric cooler and add a temperature controller on it.  Then I could use it to CF the dough, and crank it up to have it so I could pull a few out and they'd be ready to use in 10-15 minutes.   I know nothing about dough management, except that when I've made pizzas and it was hot in the house (80'ish) there wasn't a long window between the dough being easy to work with. To where I couldn't stretch or launch it and it was over for the night. 

Does anyone have a setup like this instead of a fridge for fermenting? I'm thinking if I got a big enough cooler I could stack like 6 Doughmate boxes in it and it would be perfect for dough management. And it would hold temp even without it being plugged in, so it would be perfect when I'm out making pizzas and won't have access to electricity.

Hi Quebert,

Why won't you use a regular fridge (dedicated to your dough)?
The wine fridge's temp would be around 17C, right? This can also work of course, but you might need a wider window: in these temperatures, you can only make 24H dough, meaning if you don't sell everything... it'll go to waste.
You could then think about having both: a dedicated fridge at 4C (4C at the core of your dough ball so your fermentation is stopped) so they don't move a bit during 2, 3, 4... days, plus a wine fridge where to put the dough some hours -or a night- before baking. Dough would slowly go from 4C to 15~17C, you can keep it longer than if it was at RT (meaning you may still use it the next day); and 0.5-1H before baking you take it out and leave it "proof" at your high RT, timing should be good.
I don't know if I'm clear in my explanations. That's one of the solutions I used to apply myself (and one that I teach to my students!).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
wordpress