A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: poolish with Caputo Pizzeria  (Read 410 times)

Offline old_dood

• I Love Pizza!
poolish with Caputo Pizzeria
« on: November 09, 2021, 10:02:13 AM »
used this recipe

poolish doubled in size after 24 hours.  When main dough created, I thought it was very stiff and a little dry, not sticky at all.  rested it 20 minutes after initial mix and light kneading, another rest, then more kneading, stretch and fold for the next 5 minutes.  Dough could never be made as smooth as I've seen many times on Youtube.  After 24 rt ferment dough more than doubled (really surprised due to the ridiculously small amount of yeast).  After 24hr rt ferment dough was very wet and sticky for the ball separation and creation.  I had to lightly coat my hands with olive oil to do this.

I was wondering if this all sounds normal.  BTW, I have a lab grade scale for measuring the very small quantities of yeast.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 10:05:51 AM by old_dood »

Offline drainaps

• Good pizza makes the world a happier place
Re: poolish with Caputo Pizzeria
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 11:12:02 AM »
Your dough being "stiff and a little dry" for a dough at 62% hydration sounds like there might be a mistake in weighting either flour or water, or your flour needs a little more hydration than PizzApp calls for. 2-3% additional water can go a long way.

VERY wet and sticky dough after proofing at RT sounds weird, much more so if it was stiff and dry when you started  proofing. Doesn’t make sense. Pictures would help. Are you familiar with your flour and with mixing dough? Did you cover your dough for the RT rise? Was it in an aircon room or do you live in an especially humid climate?

Offline old_dood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 11:56:11 AM »
this was my first time using Caputo Pizzeria.  I normally use Caputo Chefs and get acceptable results.  I thought 62% hydration was a good place to start with a dough I'd never tried before.  I had gone up to 65% with the Chefs.  I noticed that when I hit 62% in the Pizzapp, the #62 turned green in the app so I thought that's probably good.

My scale is the one I've always used.  I have a 500g weight that the scale reads correctly.

Yes, RT proof of main dough was covered and placed in an airtight (microwave) environment and the air temp consistent 70.  Had no problem balling as long as I put a little oil on my hands.

what do you think of my comment about not being able to get a very smooth main dough.  Does that indicate not enough kneading?  Is it really that important?  This also happens when I use the Chefs flour.

BTW, I bake in a Koda 16.

Offline drainaps

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2021, 12:37:14 PM »
If it's the first time using this particular flour and you hydrated to 62% and it looked weird, you might want to hydrate further next time. PizzApp has no idea what flour you're using, and much that I like that app, no app is a replacement for a trained eye and acting on water correction if things look weird.

I mix doughs for a living and correcting water % vs. the recipe is something you do on a daily basis. As I mentioned, 2-3% can go a long way.

If your dough wasn't smooth after mixing (guessing as no pictures) it isn't the end of the world as far as the flour is hydrated. A couple of S+Fs can  go a long way. Space them (guessing again) at least 20 minutes, ideally 30 minutes. If you've done a S+F and your dough is still holding its shape (isn't flat like a pancake) it doesn't need the next one yet. But pizza dough isn't as critical as bread dough, so the whole process can accept some variability.

Again, difficult to guess whatever is going on and just sharing some common sense.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 12:39:15 PM by drainaps »

Offline old_dood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 01:07:00 PM »
thanks for your help.  2 balls when in fridge for 2-3 days and 2 went in the freezer so I'll see what happens when the first 2 cook.  If unacceptable, next time I'll take your advice and  up the water 2% and take some pictures but I'm a little concerned based on how much more the dough seemed to be hydrated after proofing 24hr.

Offline drainaps

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 01:16:54 PM »
Dough can't be more hydrated after 24 hours. It will be very relaxed and sticky (different from more hydrated) and way more difficult to handle, but that's the result of what you're doing to the dough... The long proofing and corresponding proteolysis creates just that. If that's not what you're looking for, then go for cold proofings and lower hydration, especially if you're not familiar with this dough texture. Indeed further hydration will only complicate things, but I'm only volunteering further hydration based on your comment that dough is stiff and not smooth after mixing.... Hope this helps anyway.

Offline old_dood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2021, 01:24:56 PM »
ok.  i'll respond back after cook.

FYI, I only did cold ferment of 3-4 days when using the Chefs flour.

Offline old_dood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2021, 01:33:34 PM »
this is what I followed for the cold fermented with Caputo Chefs
https://thepizzaheaven.com/cold-fermented-pizza-dough/

Offline old_dood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2021, 04:29:29 PM »
Happy the way the first ball came out.  Maybe my imagination but, in my Koda 16, this dough seemed more forgiving than dough with the Chefs flour.  I mean less likely to burn.  If there's anything I could be a little less satisfied with I'd say it would be how the bottom came out.  It looked like it could have used another 30 seconds but I didn't want to risk it with the cheese and crust looking as they were.

wordpress