A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Dough balls flatting out and merging together  (Read 448 times)

Offline BradleyJ

• I Love Pizza!
Dough balls flatting out and merging together
« on: November 10, 2021, 06:48:23 PM »
When I use dough trays and leave my dough balls to cold ferment in the refrigerator they all flatten out and merge together. any suggestions ?

Online scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Dough balls flatting out and merging together
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 06:49:06 PM »
Mix longer, dryer mix, less dough balls per tray

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 06:59:11 PM »
put them in bags or individual containers. Or bulk ferment, my preferred method.

Offline DutchOven

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 02:21:00 PM »
In this video all the dougballs merged, and he just cut them out of the box and makes pizza’s out of them.

Offline jsobolew

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 07:43:20 PM »
Happens to me. Usually it's not such a big deal. I think it is a product of dough that is higher hydration (for pizza dough) and no bulk ferment. It it less of a problem if I do a longer bulk ferment.

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2021, 09:58:03 PM »
In this video all the dougballs merged, and he just cut them out of the box and makes pizza’s out of them.

In my experience, overproofed dough makes great pizza for RIGHT NOW. If the pizza sits for any length of time, it is tough and leathery.

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2021, 12:37:56 AM »
In my experience, overproofed dough makes great pizza for RIGHT NOW. If the pizza sits for any length of time, it is tough and leathery.
Yeah, but the topic often leads to the question of when that is. There is not a single point where overproofing happens. It can go all the way to deflation, but at that point it's way overproofed.

If you aim for a 1.7-2x rise, anything over that can be deemed overproofed, but it is a lot more manageable at 2.5x than past 3x. For anyone without much experience in the realm of overproofedness, it can be difficult to identify the state of the dough. Experience and experimentation is what makes all of us better equipped at dealing with various conditions.
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2021, 10:21:53 PM »
Yeah, but the topic often leads to the question of when that is. There is not a single point where overproofing happens. It can go all the way to deflation, but at that point it's way overproofed.

If you aim for a 1.7-2x rise, anything over that can be deemed overproofed, but it is a lot more manageable at 2.5x than past 3x. For anyone without much experience in the realm of overproofedness, it can be difficult to identify the state of the dough. Experience and experimentation is what makes all of us better equipped at dealing with various conditions.

It's true... but I was referring to that video specifically... I can tell that this dough is ALMOST shot. It didn't completely collapse, so it was semi-usable. But I bet if that pizza sat for 10-15 minutes?? The crust would have been tough as boot leather. Also... notice how he says to make sure the oven is really hot?? Because it wouldn't have browned at all at a lower temperature... all the natural sugars have been pretty much depleated.