A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
Pizzeria & Restaurant Reviews / Re: I am in Napoli
« Last post by invertedisdead on Today at 11:18:08 PM »
Pizza was good but there was no wow feeling.

I want to say ; it is not that hard to make as good dough as in napoli.  All you need is %65/%70 hydrated dough. 18/24 hours RT fermentation.  Its all about fresh mozzarella, san marzano tomatoes  from here and of course these beautiful napoletana ovens

What do you think about the tomatoes and the olive oil? Better than what you can typically get or no?
Off-Topic Foods / Re: Today's Bread
« Last post by invertedisdead on Today at 11:13:51 PM »
I was listening to an author of a Turkish cookbook and she mentioned "Turkish bagels."  In surfing around, I came across a few recipes - the one I used was this: http://ozlemsturkishtable.com/2016/05/acma-turkish-style-soft-bagels/

The bread is call "Acma" and has very little to do with a bagel - it is very heavy in olive oil, has quite a bit of milk and is not boiled.  Someof the examples I saw had a hole in the middle, some did not.

So what, it is really a very tasty roll and we enjoyed them a lot. 

There were several recipes on the web here and there - each different than the next - some with olive oil, some vegetable oil, some holes, some not, more milk, less milk, etc.  If anyone on the forum is familiar with Turkish baked goods, it would be great to get comments on the "real" Acma (if that exists).

Definitely worth making and eating.

PS Mine definitely look less browned - I was using an unmalted flour

Perhaps Omid would know?
Off-Topic Foods / brisket, hot and fast
« Last post by quietdesperation on Today at 11:07:59 PM »
2.5 hours at 340 degrees (brisket was about 170F), foiled for 2.5 hours, 30 mins out of the foil and 30 min rest.  End result was very moist but a little over, probably should have foiled for 2 hours but the rest the meal was running behind. I used a blend of mesquite and apple chunks, could have used a little more mesquite. Here in ny, might have gotten a call at a competition but at say Luling City Market, the regulars would rightfully be scratching their heads.

The reason I'm not better at brisket is the price, usually about $6/lb. Make a mistake with an 8 pounder (and I have), that's $50 down the drain. Pork shoulder is 70 cents per pound, it tough to mess up and if I do (and I have!), it's a $10 mistake.
General Pizza Making / Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Last post by invertedisdead on Today at 10:31:19 PM »
Celebrating "National Pepperoni Pizza" day 2 days late. My best Pepperoni Pizza to date.

Pepperoni sliced very thin. Formed pizza round, brushed rim with Garlic flavored oil, spread thin layer of sauce, topped with mozzarella cheese, sprinkle with mild olive oil. Bake 3 minutes (stone 600F Top of pizza 525F), top with pepperoni, and bake another 3 minutes until rim is nicely browned.

--pete--

:drool:
New York Style / Re: How do I make this more into a NY pie?
« Last post by invertedisdead on Today at 10:27:45 PM »
For NY style I like to press the rim out til there's barely one there. It will puff up enough in the oven.
yes my one has a handguard as well but i want to slice the last 1/2 inch as well  :D

I give the rest to my dogs.  they love it.
Pizza Cheese / Re: anyone making homemade mozzarella?
« Last post by HarryHaller73 on Today at 10:22:39 PM »
Start out easy.  Get some rennet, citric acid and lipase and you can make fresh mozz from milk in about a half hour.

Agree, once you get the hang of it, it's like brushing your teeth.
Starters/Sponges / Re: Poolish and Leavening Power
« Last post by CaptBob on Today at 10:22:13 PM »
This is a very interesting discussion. I use a pretty low percentage of IDY in my dough. Typically .05%. For the very reasons that Lou was thinking and what Peter stated, I use half of the total IDY in the poolish and the other half for the final dough mix. My thinking is that, because I like a long CF (3 to 5 days), the first half for the poolish (overnight, 14 hours) helps with flavor while the second half lasts for the remainder of the CF. Maybe not overly scientific but it seems to work for me.......but maybe I don't know what I don't know........
Rolls,

When I was in NYC recently, every morning before my family would start stirring, I would walk to the Ess-a-Bagel bagel shop on 3d Ave (a little over two miles round trip), and pick up bagels for everyone, to be eaten with cream cheese and coffee. The bagels were right out of the oven. I prefer the pumpernickel bagels, and like them toasted, but everyone else preferred the "everything" bagel, and untoasted. Real bagels made the classic way are hard to beat.

Peter

Agree, and you picked a great spot.  I went 9 months straight eating a bagel every morning at one point within various permutations, lox/cream cheese, taylor roll/egg, bacon/egg, plain, buttered, just cream cheese.  I only stopped when I started to hit the gym.
New York Style / Re: How do I make this more into a NY pie?
« Last post by HarryHaller73 on Today at 10:13:01 PM »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress