A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
New York Style / Re: Essen1's NY-style pizza project
« Last post by rparker on Today at 09:14:31 AM »
Very nice looking pie, Mike.  8)
« Last post by norcoscia on Today at 08:16:38 AM »
Masterpiece - I give that one a score of 63 (on a scale of 1-10)  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
Stones/tiles/steel, Pans & Accessories / Re: Question on Cordierite
« Last post by norcoscia on Today at 07:44:04 AM »
Thanks DS!
Shop Talk / Re: Almost dead in the water
« Last post by waltertore on Today at 03:42:58 AM »
Glad to hear it worked out so well, Walter. Think about all those things you donít sell that could have been troubling you. Pays to stay in your lane.

Yes and as my 90 year old mother from Italy often says - if you are going to open a restaurant make 1 thing that is unforgettable instead of 30 things that are forgettable. Walter
Ask the Dough Doctor / no sugar
« Last post by barrelli on Today at 12:30:54 AM »
I watched a  video by Jon Arenas, a pizzaria  owner, who said  he did not use sugar in is NY style dough with a 3 day fermentation. What could I expect from a 60 per cent hydration with no sugar using  the  Dough Doctor's calculator ranges for the other ingredients?

Lou
New York Style / Re: in admiration of the plain cheese slice
« Last post by Josh123 on Today at 12:22:35 AM »
Harry, I think you're right. Most crusts are bland, grande cheese is bland, so what's left? the sauce! and if the pizza maker doesn't build flavor in the sauce, the slice becomes a bland vehicle for toppings. why does every pizza shop have oregano and chili flakes? because most ny slices are bland.

as home pizza bakers, we have the opportunity to build flavor in every element of a pie. for example. I add ldmp to make the crust more flavorful. My sauce has sea salt, good dried oregano, eevo and a pinch of hard cheese. I use a defacto mix of grande east coast and 40 percent cheddar. And the pie is finished with hard cheese, a drizzle of olive oil (sometimes spicy eevo a la craig's Calabrian chili oil recipe) and fresh basil from our garden.

the end product is reminiscent of street pizza but so much more flavorful.  getting there has been a series of incremental improvements but as noted in my op, the addition of the cheddar really put it over the top. Reading replies of people that like toppings, I realize I haven't spent a lot of time trying to strike the right balance to compliment what's underneath.

[email protected] being bland. Dump the east coast blend and use WM.
« Last post by Essen1 on Today at 12:12:22 AM »
14Ē Quattro Formaggi test pie

Mozarella, gouda, formaggio lingoria, gorgonzola, fresh basil
« Last post by HarryHaller73 on Yesterday at 11:58:39 PM »
« Last post by Josh123 on Yesterday at 11:55:22 PM »
we still order toppings when eating ny slices from pizza shops because the slices are generally bland. But at home we've come to prefer plain slices, because the pizza isn't bland.

Why go get crappy pizza?
Shop Talk / Re: Almost dead in the water
« Last post by foreplease on Yesterday at 11:54:07 PM »
Glad to hear it worked out so well, Walter. Think about all those things you donít sell that could have been troubling you. Pays to stay in your lane.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

A D V E R T I S E M E N T