Pages:
Actions
  • #581 by Hermit on 14 Jul 2017
  • Here's the 10H RT PJ clone.  I dunno if this is even a PJ clone anymore, it was one of Peter's recipes that I substituted honey instead of sugar and added in some DMP to assist with same day ferment flavor.  The pizza was baked on 2nd from top rack at 500F for 11m.  I didnt rotate the pizza or use broiler, still trying to get a gauge on this oven.  After putting the pizza in, it dropped down a bit, and gradually went down to 450F and never really did get back up to 500F.  Colorwise, top and bottom looked good, I still need to make a cheese pie and see how the melt is w/o all these toppings.  I'm a sucker for flavor layers and sometimes just throw everything on.

The pizza was topped with 7.5oz of seasoned GV crushed tomatoes, a huge pinch of reggiano, then black olives and bell pepper under the cheese, 1oz of yellow extra sharp cheddar (store brand), 10oz of boars head LMWM mozz, thin sliced onion, bridgeford pepperoni, and white mushrooms.

The pizza started to boil the sauce after about 4 mins which was promising.  I think I am still hiding a lot of the TF in the crust, because the slices were a little thinner in the tip than it should be.  These RT doughs are tough to manage because they're already quite warm.  RT here lately has been between 70-75F depending on the day, somedays almost 80F.

The crust tasted really good, I am actually pretty happy with this formula.  I may tweak the DMP up some, not quite sure yet.  Looking to avoid burned bottoms especially with dough that has this much honey in it.
  • #582 by invertedisdead on 14 Jul 2017
  • Very nice American style, gotta love that caramelized cheese on the rim! Have you made any Italian sausage lately? Thinking I may give it another go for my next thin & crispy. Seen this place on Triple D that claimed their secret was finely ground fennel for better dispersion. Feels like a fine line between under and over seasoning the sausage though from my handful of attempts.

If it's really warm try chilling the dough for 20 min in the fridge before opening.
  • #583 by Hermit on 15 Jul 2017
  • Very nice American style, gotta love that caramelized cheese on the rim! Have you made any Italian sausage lately? Thinking I may give it another go for my next thin & crispy. Seen this place on Triple D that claimed their secret was finely ground fennel for better dispersion. Feels like a fine line between under and over seasoning the sausage though from my handful of attempts.

If it's really warm try chilling the dough for 20 min in the fridge before opening.

Thanks Ryan, and that's a good tip.  I'll have to try that next time.  I think that's why I am getting the orange pool in the center of the pie, that seems to be the low spot.

I havent made any italian sausage in about a month.  That sounds good though, I had initially tried to grind up some fennel seed with my tiny mortar and pestle but it was too much of a pain.  Everything else I have available is for too large a quantity.  Maybe a small spice grinder is the key.
  • #584 by hammettjr on 15 Jul 2017
  • Thanks Ryan, and that's a good tip.  I'll have to try that next time.  I think that's why I am getting the orange pool in the center of the pie, that seems to be the low spot.

You may want to try putting more of the pepperoni towards the sides. They gravitated towards the center and will contribute to the orangeness. (I usually go a little heavier on the cheese around the edges to hopefully end up with a more even result.)
  • #585 by Kreetak on 15 Jul 2017
  • Looks like a PJ pizza for me. Awesome! And in the same day! Can you share your formula (with your modifications)  or it's a secret?  :P :-[
  • #586 by Hermit on 15 Jul 2017
  • Looks like a PJ pizza for me. Awesome! And in the same day! Can you share your formula (with your modifications)  or it's a secret?  :P :-[

Thanks =)

Sure!  No secrets here, I'm all about full disclosure.

KABF (100%):
    Water (50%):
    IDY (0.05%):
    Salt (2%):
    Corn Oil (6%):
    Honey (12%):
    DMP 60-lintner (0.2%):
    Total (170.12%):
    442.28 g
    221.14 g
    0.23 g
    8.85 g
    26.54 g
    53.07 g
    0.88 g
    752.41 g | 26.54 oz | 1.66 lbs | TF = 0.132
  • #587 by Hermit on 15 Jul 2017
  • Going to do some homemade meatballs in sauce with garlic knots for dinner (no pasta), took the dough recipe and converted it to bakers percentages.  Here's the dough recipe for the garlic knots.  This is bobby flays pizza dough recipe which I actually like for these garlic knots.  Adding in some DMP is a good choice too.

Flour (100%):
    Water (53%):
    ADY (1.25%):
    Salt (1.75%):
    Oil (4%):
    Sugar (0.5%):
    Total (160.5%):
    353.27 g  |  12.46 oz | 0.78 lbs
    187.23 g  |  6.6 oz | 0.41 lbs
    4.42 g | 0.16 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.17 tsp | 0.39 tbsp
    6.18 g | 0.22 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.11 tsp | 0.37 tbsp
    14.13 g | 0.5 oz | 0.03 lbs | 3.14 tsp | 1.05 tbsp
    1.77 g | 0.06 oz | 0 lbs | 0.44 tsp | 0.15 tbsp
    567 g | 20 oz | 1.25 lbs | TF = N/A

I like to mix the dough as I would any pizza dough, then let it proof for about an hour or so depending on RT.  After that I spread it out into an oiled surface, shape into a square, oil the top side as well then slice into strips, then twist and tie into the knot.  I then place them on an oiled baking sheet, cover and let proof until doubled in size.  Bake at 400F for about 15 minutes or until golden.  Afterwards I use about half a stick of butter and 1 clove of minced garlic sauteed on medium for about 5 mins, then toss the knots in the garlic butter, top with reggiano and chopped fresh parsley.
  • #588 by rparker on 15 Jul 2017
  • Looking good, Hermit. Looking good.

That cooling the dough thing Ryan mentioned works well.

Ryan, you ever do that with a dough that had already been dropped and partially opened? I bombed a BS bake last week when the dough dried out after having to do a tank change and repeat half the saturation procedure. I thought of this after the fact, by my dough had already been dropped and done my slapping thing. It was about 10 inches by the time I discovered the tank issue.
  • #589 by invertedisdead on 15 Jul 2017
  • Looking good, Hermit. Looking good.

That cooling the dough thing Ryan mentioned works well.

Ryan, you ever do that with a dough that had already been dropped and partially opened? I bombed a BS bake last week when the dough dried out after having to do a tank change and repeat half the saturation procedure. I thought of this after the fact, by my dough had already been dropped and done my slapping thing. It was about 10 inches by the time I discovered the tank issue.

Roy, I have not tried that on a dough I already started to open. I think in that scenario I might brush on a thin coating of oil to help protect the dough, and maybe set it on a pizza screen until I had a chance to finish opening the dough.
  • #590 by rparker on 15 Jul 2017
  • Roy, I have not tried that on a dough I already started to open. I think in that scenario I might brush on a thin coating of oil to help protect the dough, and maybe set it on a pizza screen until I had a chance to finish opening the dough.
    ahhh, thanks. I will try that. It will happen again.  :-[
  • #591 by Hermit on 17 Jul 2017
  • Got a dough going for today, based on a recipe from nick57 found here - https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=18731.msg443590#msg443590

Doing RT all day then baking tonight for supper.  The dough at 2.5hrs after making is very soft and supple.  Hoping that this rolls out like a dream, gonna use it in my 16" cutter pan.

KAAP 373 grams
    water 157 grams
    IDY     .35 tsp
    salt    1 tsp
    sugar 1/2 tsp
    Gaarlic powder 1/2 teaspoon
    corn oil 3 TBL

I didn't add in garlic powder, and used gold medal AP flour instead of KA brand.  Hydrated the IDY, sugar, and salt into the water, then added in the flour, then finished with the oil once the dough started looking like it was coming together.  Dough actually mixed quite well at speeds 2 then 1 on my artisan mixer.
  • #592 by invertedisdead on 17 Jul 2017
  • This is gonna be a good one!

Thin & crispy is the way
  • #593 by Hermit on 17 Jul 2017
  • This is gonna be a good one!

Thin & crispy is the way

I hope so!  I just made up a batch of sauce, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp basil, 1 tsp garlic powder.  28oz can WP tomatoes.  Cooked the juice down and added it in, blended on chop speed so lumpy yet.  Sauce is the hardest part to the pizza IMO =/
  • #594 by invertedisdead on 17 Jul 2017
  • Sauce is the hardest part to the pizza IMO =/

I agree! Hard for me to really hit an amazing sauce.
  • #595 by Hermit on 17 Jul 2017
  • I added in 1/4 tsp of sugar into the sauce prior to this bake, I think it really helped.  Though, I think maybe my pepper grinder was uncalibrated as the black pepper was up front and spicy.  Not too much, but I think I added in more than 1 tsp to the sauce recipe.

So this dough I stretched out about 3hrs ago and it stretched extremely easily and well, almost too well I thought for a thin crust.  I ended up folding it up and putting it in the fridge until right before bake time.  The dough had relaxed even more so I rolled it out a bit more, probably got an extra 1/2" stretch so the dough was roughly 18" round by the time I put it into the cutter pan.  I parbaked the docked crust in the cutter pan at 450F for 3 mins, then out of the oven and topped with 7.5oz of the sauce blend, a huge pinch of reggiano, about 0.5oz of feta crumbles, then 10oz of boars head LMWM mozz, and 5oz of sliced meatballs and about an ounce of sliced pepperoni for the edge.  Pizza was baked in cutter pan on the center rack at 425F for 10mins with convection on.  I probably could have let it go another minute but figured it looked done.  Bottom turned out good.  Crisp texture on the bottom, this reminded me a lot of dominos thin and crispy.  Thin crisp layer on the bottom with a tiny bit of flexibility in a slice.  The finished pizza measured 15" on the nose.

Gonna work on this one a little bit, I think maybe next time I'm going to try KABF and see if the bottom texture changes.
  • #596 by Pete-zza on 17 Jul 2017
  • Hermit,

You have been trying different types and variations of pizzas. Do you have a favorite to date? And, if so, why?

And what would you say helped you the most--maybe the science/math of pizza making, trial and error, the work of other members, finding ingredients that you like, etc.?

Peter
  • #597 by Hermit on 17 Jul 2017
  • You have been trying different types and variations of pizzas. Do you have a favorite to date? And, if so, why?
    Peter,

When I joined the forum it was NY style, and while I still have a special place in my heart for it, Chicago deep dish took the crown and it ain't ever going back.  A couple reasons for it.  Flavor is the big one.  That pizza to me is the epitome in balance of richness of flavor and texture of the overall slice.  The burst of juice from hot fresh whole peeled tomatoes infused with flavor from the sausage applied raw, the thick layer of cheese with buttery crust reminiscent of the most luscious pie crust flavor.  For me that's just the beginning.  When you introduce a layer of veggies and/or meat toppings on top of the tomatoes, it just turns into fresh flavor nirvana.  Workflow for the pizza is the next part.  It's so difficult to screw up, the risk vs reward is so incredibly in the makers favor.  The dough is simple to make, and the stretch in the pan is about as easy as it gets.
  • #598 by invertedisdead on 17 Jul 2017
  • Real tasty looking pie with those sliced meatballs! Looks nice and crispy too  :drool:
    Definitely one to work on  :chef: though I think I'm going the other way - made my last few with KABF and am gonna try KAAP. Might increase my fat% too... I want it ultra tender/flaky/crispy!! I got lots of work to do.

• #599 by rparker on 17 Jul 2017
  • Looks good, Hermit. Love those meatballs on there.  :chef:

What does the Feta add to the blend?
  • #600 by jvp123 on 17 Jul 2017
  • That thin and crispy looks great, Hermit.  I've always wanted to master that style, but have only done it a few times and I never got it exactly the way I wanted.

I'm looking forward to learning more from your experiments.

I may have missed it along the way, but where did you land on your water and oil/fat #s.
Pages:
Actions