A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Chicago Pizza is the most interesting!  (Read 3830 times)

Offline CDNpielover

Re: Chicago Pizza is the most interesting!
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2017, 12:32:52 AM »
Them fightin' words Garvey, I'm not speaking for Ohio or St. Louis but I can promise you that Minneapolis/St. Paul has a pizza shop on almost every corner selling thin that rivals if not beats anything I've ever had in Chicago.   :chef:.

Also this style is ubiquitous across the Midwest, it's even common in Winnipeg.  This is a regional style and Chicago can lay no claim to it - at least until there is some proof that the style originated there (which there isn't).   :chef:

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2017, 12:42:25 AM »
Them fightin' words Garvey, I'm not speaking for Ohio or St. Louis but I can promise you that Minneapolis/St. Paul has a pizza shop on almost every corner selling thin that rivals if not beats anything I've ever had in Chicago.   :chef:.

Also this style is ubiquitous across the Midwest, it's even common in Winnipeg.  This is a regional style and Chicago can lay no claim to it - at least until there is some proof that the style originated there (which there isn't).   :chef:

Sammy's in Duluth is hard to beat!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:08:03 AM by HBolte »
Hans

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2017, 12:11:01 PM »
This is a regional style and Chicago can lay no claim to it - at least until there is some proof that the style originated there (which there isn't).   :chef:

I call BS.  It's Chicago thin.  The burden of proof is on the naysayers.   ;D

Let me check over on the "Midwest Style" board on this Pizza Making Forum real quick.  Oh, wait...there isn't one.   ;D

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2017, 12:26:14 PM »

Let me check over on the "Midwest Style" board on this Pizza Making Forum real quick.  Oh, wait...there isn't one.   ;D

But isn't Chicago more regionally famous for Deep Dish? I grew up in St. Louis, 4 hours from Chicago and never recall seeing a deep dish pizza in my life. But I ate thin crust party cut pizza weekly.

Offline Garvey

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2017, 01:37:08 PM »
But isn't Chicago more regionally famous for Deep Dish?

Rudy Malnati invented a new casserole in Ike Sewell's kitchen, and this freakshow still makes headlines. 

Kim Kardashian is more famous than Mother Teresa, too.   :D

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2017, 03:09:15 PM »
Rudy Malnati invented a new casserole in Ike Sewell's kitchen, and this freakshow still makes headlines. 

Kim Kardashian is more famous than Mother Teresa, too.   :D

Geez... Now I feel like I owe you a beer!   ;D  :-D

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2017, 09:19:47 PM »
But isn't Chicago more regionally famous for Deep Dish? I grew up in St. Louis, 4 hours from Chicago and never recall seeing a deep dish pizza in my life. But I ate thin crust party cut pizza weekly.

Deep dish is for the tourists.  Chi thin is the real deal.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2017, 02:22:02 PM »
Nothing is better than Mall of America style. 

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2017, 02:38:40 PM »
The Gourmandize website says that the Chicago deep-dish pizza is "junk food", at:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodculture/most-popular-junk-food-in-each-state/ss-BBEf6vG?ocid=spartanntp#image=13.

Just sayin'.

Peter

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2017, 07:57:55 PM »
i love junk food!
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline Garvey

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2017, 07:37:46 AM »
The Gourmandize website says that the Chicago deep-dish pizza is "junk food"

It's kinda goofy to put deep dish in the same category as Sour Patch Kids and Kit Kats.  You have to get it in a restaurant, where it takes 30-45 mins to make.  Junk food, IMO, seems more like "pick up and eat", ready-made stuff that is shelf-stable.  Chips, candy...that kind of garbage.  DD is also not cheap at all.  Out-of-town rubes who think Papa John's is edible pizza are annoyed when it costs $35 for a pizza to feed a family of four instead of $12.99.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 07:39:42 AM by Garvey »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2017, 07:48:43 AM »
Garvey,

I agree with you. I often ignore articles like the one I cited, but this one caught my eye because the lede photo was of a deep-dish pizza. I had to click through the photos to learn why a deep-dish pizza could be called junk food. It's actually quite silly. Welcome to the world of click bait advertising  :( .

Peter

Offline PapaLous

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2017, 03:45:59 PM »
Deep dish is for the tourists.  Chi thin is the real deal.

Meh.

Waiting in line downtown at Uno's or Due's is for the tourists.

Deep dish is also the real deal. Having worked at Chicago pizza places, we sold plenty of deep dish pizzas. We sold more thins, of course, but that is also a function of price.

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2017, 10:17:06 PM »
yeah, junk food deep dish is not!!  i love it.  and Garvey your definition of junk food i agree with!!   there were so many awesome places growing up that had great versions of it.  i love lou's, i loved garcias deep dish in champagne.  i loved ginos!  and then i also loved thin crust chicago.  soo many different places even on the burbs like lombard, villa park, elmhurst, lockeport, downers grove, oak lawn had awesome chicago thin.  some places I've never had anything like it again in my life.  there was a gene's or something in lombard as a kid, me and my mom loved it.  it had such a garlic flavor to the sauce that was different than any other place I've ever had again.   dang!  i am missing chicago and the greater proper right now!!

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline Garvey

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2017, 09:40:56 AM »
Having worked at Chicago pizza places, we sold plenty of deep dish pizzas. We sold more thins, of course, but that is also a function of price.

There are really not that many that do both.  And I can't think of one place that does both kinds equally well.  Each style really is a specialty. 

Deep dish at a thin crust place, to me, is like grocery store sushi.  I'm sure it's fine and all.  Just not what I'm looking for.  And it certainly can't be great.

Offline Garvey

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2017, 09:47:34 AM »
soo many different places even on the burbs ... dang!  i am missing chicago and the greater proper right now!!

YES, Mojoman! I was just up there for a week over the 4th, and I had pizza from *six different places in eight days.

-----
*only  :-D :-D :-D

Offline Garvey

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2017, 09:53:27 AM »
The best one of the week: House of Pizza in Hammond, IN. 

Rotating oven.  Housemade sausage.  Crackery crust.  Herby sauce.  Creamy cheese.  Absolute perfection.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2017, 10:48:20 AM »
I think a big part of what makes Chicago pizza so great is its plentiful diversity.  Not too surprising, given the size of the greater Chicagoland, but it seems like there are more available diverse styles than in NYC. Do you find deep dish in NYC?  Probably not (or maybe one place). But there is more than one NYC-style slice shop in Chicago, along with the thin-style, deep-dish, Neapolitan, etc.  I agree about the thin-style: it is more prevalent than deep-dish or any other (and my personal favorite), but if you are willing to do a little driving, there are also plenty of other styles to choose.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2017, 06:38:55 PM »
The best one of the week: House of Pizza in Hammond, IN. 

Rotating oven.  Housemade sausage.  Crackery crust.  Herby sauce.  Creamy cheese.  Absolute perfection.
oh man!  that looks awesome!!! 

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline PapaLous

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2017, 08:14:35 PM »
There are really not that many that do both.  And I can't think of one place that does both kinds equally well.  Each style really is a specialty. 

Deep dish at a thin crust place, to me, is like grocery store sushi.  I'm sure it's fine and all.  Just not what I'm looking for.  And it certainly can't be great.

To you, maybe. Your palate is only an authority on what you happen to like and isn't reflective of the skills of hundreds, if not thousands, of pizza places.

In retrospect, I'm quite certain that I could have blindfolded you and you never would have known the difference.

This, of course, is also true about many things, especially liquor, beer, and wine. Blindfold critics and have them rank and rate beverages without the benefit of visual, price, varietal, temperature, etc., clues and their results usually deviate significantly from their previous results.