A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Where to get training in NY style pizza making?  (Read 571 times)

Offline mister_snrub

• No pizza, no life.
Where to get training in NY style pizza making?
« on: July 04, 2017, 09:17:09 PM »
Hello all!

I am currently working on a project to open a pizza restaurant in Osaka, Japan. The plan is to make classic New York style pizzas. I will be the store manager and head chef. I already have financing approved, so it is going ahead!   :D

Before opening, I need some training and experience to boost my skills. I have been making pizza in a home oven for many years as a hobbyist. But I now need some professional experience to step those skills up to a commercial restaurant level.

Can anyone recommend somewhere or someone that can provide practical training and experience in New York style pizzas? I am thinking that to at least get a grasp of the basic skills, I will need a week of solid learning, followed by a month of practising those skills in an operating pizza restaurant.

For training, I've found these two commercial options:
-"Goodfella's Pizza School of NY" (http://www.pizzaschoolnewyork.com/)
-"Pizza Academy Foundation", associated with Kestè (http://pafacademy.com/5-days-americana-pizza-making-class/)

I've emailed both of these training providers to see if they can also offer a month-long of experience following the training. I've also emailed Tom Lehmann to enquire if he is able to arrange such a training program in his capacity as a consultant.

If anyone has some further suggestions for training/experience opportunities, I'm all ears!  :)

FYI, some details on our plan:
18 inch pies in a classic NY style with 6-7 minute bake
Classic toppings as well as more fancy "gourmet" options on the menu
Using a PizzaMaster electric deck oven (Marsal also exists in Japan, but the prices are hugely inflated!)
Selling primarily by the slice, but with whole pies baked to order

Thanks!

Geoff.

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• I Do It For The Guests.
Re: Where to get training in NY style pizza making?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 09:54:58 PM »
You don't need formal training just practice.

PM members your questions or ask a question right and we can answer them. We'll guide you.
Honestly the quickest way would be to video tape your ENTIRE pizza making process from beginning to end, that way we won't miss anything. Are you comfortable doing that?

The most prominent NY Style pizza makers I know of are , rparker, Hammettjr, Essen1, Norma, Ryan, JD, Josh123, there are more out there.

Offline mister_snrub

• No pizza, no life.
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 10:58:01 PM »
Minolta, thank you. Yes I agree practice is more important. And it is practice that I am essentially seeking. ^^^

Our store is only in the planning stages at the moment. So I do not have the equipment to practice with.

I wish to gain the practical experience prior to construction of our store. The experience will in fact guide our choice of equipment and other design choices.

The original concept was for a Neopolitan style pizzeria. There are many high-quality Neopolitan pizza restaurants in Osaka with highly-experienced chefs that had the capability to provide that practical experience and training. However we have changed the concept to a NY style, for which there isn't a local option.

So I am seeking options for gaining this practical experience elsewhere. Ideally they would also have a history of training newbies!  :P

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 10:46:21 AM »
As important as it is to hone your skills at making pizzas, don't fall into the trap, as so many do, of putting most of your attention into the "creative" side of the operation rather than the "business" side. You need to be both an artist and a businessman.

Best of luck to you in your venture.

Rolls

Offline mister_snrub

• No pizza, no life.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 09:27:41 PM »
Rolls,

Thanks for the tip.

Luckily, I am working with a team of people who are experienced in restaurant establishment and management. The store will be part of a group of restaurants. The business side has been and will continue to be carefully considered.

I can gain general kitchen experience in the other restaurants in the group. But pizza is a new thing for this group, so we are looking for external support for the training/experience specific to New York pizza.

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 07:32:07 AM »
Geoff,

Sounds like you are approaching this in a very sensible manner. As for outside support, you can't go wrong talking to Tom Lehmann. If the website is any indication, the "Goodfellas" school looks very polished and it seems their consulting would encompass elements of marketing and business strategy too. If you're looking strictly for recipes, dough management etc., then the Kesté school might also fit the bill, even though they are known more for the Neapolitan style.

Rolls

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 08:03:32 AM »
Geoff,

Kesté school might also fit the bill, even though they are known more for the Neapolitan style.

Rolls

Only known for NP style.
Hans

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 01:56:42 PM »
I think training on an oven other than the one you will actually be using is going to present some challenges. Will you have any help or are you the only one with any experience making a pizza in the restaurant?

You should post pictures of some of your pizzas too.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 03:48:18 PM »
Hello all!

I am currently working on a project to open a pizza restaurant in Osaka, Japan. The plan is to make classic New York style pizzas. I will be the store manager and head chef. I already have financing approved, so it is going ahead!   :D

Before opening, I need some training and experience to boost my skills. I have been making pizza in a home oven for many years as a hobbyist. But I now need some professional experience to step those skills up to a commercial restaurant level.

Can anyone recommend somewhere or someone that can provide practical training and experience in New York style pizzas? I am thinking that to at least get a grasp of the basic skills, I will need a week of solid learning, followed by a month of practising those skills in an operating pizza restaurant.

For training, I've found these two commercial options:
-"Goodfella's Pizza School of NY" (http://www.pizzaschoolnewyork.com/)
-"Pizza Academy Foundation", associated with Kestè (http://pafacademy.com/5-days-americana-pizza-making-class/)

I've emailed both of these training providers to see if they can also offer a month-long of experience following the training. I've also emailed Tom Lehmann to enquire if he is able to arrange such a training program in his capacity as a consultant.

If anyone has some further suggestions for training/experience opportunities, I'm all ears!  :)

FYI, some details on our plan:
18 inch pies in a classic NY style with 6-7 minute bake
Classic toppings as well as more fancy "gourmet" options on the menu
Using a PizzaMaster electric deck oven (Marsal also exists in Japan, but the prices are hugely inflated!)
Selling primarily by the slice, but with whole pies baked to order

Thanks!

Geoff.

Geoff,

I would seriously consider taking a 5-day course/class for professionals at Tony Gemignani's Pizza School.

http://internationalschoolofpizza.com/american-style-pizza/

He uses Cuppone electric deck ovens, which are very similar to the PizzaMasters, as well as Marsals so you get to train on both. And since he has a "Slice House" concept in place in various locations, he'll be able to give you valuable tips on the business side of things, as well as the creative side.
Mike

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 09:35:26 PM »
I was waiting for someone to mention Tony. Seems to me his pizza school would be the perfect place to learn the art.

Online waltertore

• Lifetime Member
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 11:58:26 PM »
5 days of training is a great start for a home pizza maker but working in a shop is the way to go to avoid train wrecks.  So many variables that will not present themselves in a controlled learning setting will hit you smack in the eye at the craziest of times.  It takes a long time to work as the head pizza guy from my experience.  Make sure you have your pies to top notch before opening.   One bad review is more powerful than 1 good review.  Good Luck!  Walter
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 12:00:36 AM by waltertore »
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline mister_snrub

• No pizza, no life.
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2017, 11:11:54 PM »
Thanks all for the replies and advice.

Yes, I am thinking that the Goodfellas school might be a good choice. The store also has good reviews, which is a plus. The downside is they use a different type of oven (brick ovens with solid fuel or gas). But I can adapt to the electric deck oven through practice before opening.

@invertedisdead:
I will have another chef working along side me. But I do not expect they will have pizza experience. I will be training them.
I have posted a few photos of some of my pizza at the end of this post. They are clearly not a real New York style, but they have a very similar dough (with olive oil and sugar).

@Essen1:
I considered Tony's school also. But the 'American/Sicilian' class covers quite a few styles, not spending as much time on New York as I am probably looking for. The only remaining class for the year is also sold out already: http://internationalschoolofpizza.com/calendar/

Some pics are attached...

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 01:00:43 AM »
Regardless of the type of oven you use, it will, for sure, bake differently from the one which you will have in Japan. This is reflected in the much repeated rule that "Every oven is a law unto itself and only itself". Additionally, keep in mind that gas ovens bake somewhat differently than electric ovens. This is not to say the electric ovens are bad, they just bake differently due to the dry heat so you may need to bake your pizzas longer and at a lower temperature using your electric oven regardless of what kind/type it is. One of the laws of physics says that dry air in an electric oven doesn't conduct heat as well as moist/humid air in a gas, wood or coal fired oven. Depending upon the type of oven you are planning on, one trick that works well in electric ovens is to bake the pizza right on the deck and then "dome" it for the last few seconds (this is where you lift the pizza using your oven peel into the dome of the oven to finish the top of the pizza).
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor