A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Should I care about a seamless dough ball?  (Read 133 times)

Online csnack

• I Love Pizza!
Should I care about a seamless dough ball?
« on: July 17, 2017, 02:15:02 AM »
Hi Tom, I was curious how important you think it is that the dough ball be nice and seamless before going into fermentation. I read some advice on here how the guy does things like spanking his dough ball around it to make it seamless so as to help eliminate any cracks or other imperfections when opening it into a skin. But on this video here starting at about 2:05 you're pulling the sides down and tucking them under and rolling them a bit on the table and that's it w/o much concern for seamlessness. Obviously then that's all that's necessary if that's how you're doing it, so then what's your opinion on the method I described? Is it futile to make a seamless dough ball? Actually, at about 2:55 into the video I guess you're rolling the ball sort of <i>into</i> the table w/ the edge of your hand and I guess sealing it that way and that's enough then?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Should I care about a seamless dough ball?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 10:28:46 AM »
All of the work that we've done over the years shows that it is not necessary to that a seamless dough ball just SO LONG AS THE SEAMS ARE ON THE BOTTOM OF THE DOUGH BALL WHEN PLACED INTO THE DOUGH BOX. The weight of the dough ball will cause any open seams to close up. Open seams on top of the dough ball will cause the dough ball to open up after being placed into the box which typically results in the dough ball expanding more in size and flowing into another dough ball which makes handling the dough ball after fermentation just that much more difficult.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor