A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Slow roasted grape tomatoes  (Read 925 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Slow roasted grape tomatoes
« on: August 27, 2017, 03:23:32 PM »
Decided to try slow roasting some grape tomatoes since there are so many in the garden.  Worked out well and the sun-dried (convention oven slow roasting method) made some mighty sweet tomatoes.

Norma

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
Re: Slow roasted grape tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 04:06:53 PM »
Wow, those look great Norma - we are knee deep in sun golds from our garden - over a pound a day - what temp and time did you use for your slow roasting ? 
Norm

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 04:17:02 PM »
Those look great.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 05:23:18 PM »
Wow, those look great Norma - we are knee deep in sun golds from our garden - over a pound a day - what temp and time did you use for your slow roasting ?

Norm,

Thanks!  Your sun golds should do well to slow roast.  The temperature used for the convection oven was 175 degrees F.  It took a little over 3 hours to slow roast the grape tomatoes, but was at market working anyway.  Sprinkled some fine sea salt over the cut ones before the bake.  Depending on how much moisture there is in your sun golds how long they will take to slow bake.  Parchment papers was put on the 1/4 size sheet pans.

Those look great.

Thanks Craig!

Norma

Offline foreplease

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 11:47:25 PM »
Yes, don't those look teriffic! I may need to try that while there is still time left this season. Sadly, I have no garden at all this year but I'm working on a good sized one for next year.
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 06:26:34 AM »
Yes, don't those look teriffic! I may need to try that while there is still time left this season. Sadly, I have no garden at all this year but I'm working on a good sized one for next year.

Tony,

Let us know your results if you decide to try slow roasting.  It was easy to slow roast those tomatoes, but just takes time.  Might try some of Craig's Calabrian chili peppers, using the same method, to infused with honey.

As the slow bake was coming near the end it was fun tasting some of the grape tomatoes, and seeing if they were roasted enough.  Was going to try some San Marzano tomatoes but knew they would take a lot longer to slow roast. 

Norma

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 08:42:16 AM »
Thanks for the idea Norma - we made some from sun golds from our garden. We used an electric air dehydrator that only went to 160 but it did work. We had them out in the garage but forgot about them and left them out overnight (about 18 hours). We wanted to have a sun dried tomato texture but these were crunchy (but still great).

My wife zipped some in the grinder and made a fantastic tasting tomato powder - we used it in the pizza sauce and sprinkled some on top of the finished pie - best part was we got to say "BAM" when we tossed it on the finished pie :-)
Norm

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 12:34:48 PM »
Thanks for the idea Norma - we made some from sun golds from our garden. We used an electric air dehydrator that only went to 160 but it did work. We had them out in the garage but forgot about them and left them out overnight (about 18 hours). We wanted to have a sun dried tomato texture but these were crunchy (but still great).

My wife zipped some in the grinder and made a fantastic tasting tomato powder - we used it in the pizza sauce and sprinkled some on top of the finished pie - best part was we got to say "BAM" when we tossed it on the finished pie :-)

Norm,

Your sun gold tomato dried tomato powder was really inventive.  Interesting to hear the tomato powder on top of the finished pie gave you a “BAM” new flavor.  Great idea!

I had a few crunchy slow roasted tomatoes even though I kept watching them.  Like you they still tasted great.

Thanks for the photos!

Norma

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 12:47:20 PM »
Norma,

Between your pizza, spaghetti sauce and roasted tomatoes, you definitely have the golden touch!

One way I like to use up small tomatoes from the garden is to cut them length-wise, remove seeds/gel and then lightly salt them to draw out more water. I drain them in a colander and then stuff them with cooked risotto (leftovers are fine for this) and bake them in a tray with some oil/ parsley and other aromatics. My tomatoes are slightly larger than the grape size. Makes a visually striking and tasty side dish.

Quote from: Norma
Might try some of Craig's Calabrian chili peppers, using the same method, to infused with honey.

In southern Italy dehydrated chili peppers are known as "peperoni cruschi" and some of the most prized are from a town called Senise in the Basilicata region. These peppers can be used in numerous ways in all sorts of dishes.

Rolls

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 12:56:05 PM »
Norma,

Between your pizza, spaghetti sauce and roasted tomatoes, you definitely have the golden touch!

One way I like to use up small tomatoes from the garden is to cut them length-wise, remove seeds/gel and then lightly salt them to draw out more water. I drain them in a colander and then stuff them with cooked risotto (leftovers are fine for this) and bake them in a tray with some oil/ parsley and other aromatics. My tomatoes are slightly larger than the grape size. Makes a visually striking and tasty side dish.

In southern Italy dehydrated chili peppers are known as "peperoni cruschi" and some of the most prized are from a town called Senise in the Basilicata region. These peppers can be used in numerous ways in all sorts of dishes.

Rolls

Rolls,

It just takes some experiments to make some decent stuff. 

Your idea of the one way to use up small tomatoes from the garden sounds great!  Can only imagine what a visually striking and tasty side dish that would be. 

Interesting what dehydrated chili peppers are called in southern Italy.  Love the name “peperoni cruschi”.  ;D The name just sounds so delicious.  Just might have to try that.  Would slow roasting give about the same result as a dehydrator?  I don't have a dehydrator.

Norma

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 01:27:34 PM »
Would slow roasting give about the same result as a dehydrator?  I don't have a dehydrator.

No, I don't think roasting them would work. In Italy the peppers are left on their stems and tied together in bunches. They are then either sun-dried (shorter process) or shade-dried (longer process). The peppers are then cleaned and dipped in boiling oil for a few seconds, creating the crunchy exterior ( "cruschi" ). They are then packaged in cellophane bags. From there, there are different ways of handling the peppers for use in dishes.

Rolls

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 06:27:44 PM »
No, I don't think roasting them would work. In Italy the peppers are left on their stems and tied together in bunches. They are then either sun-dried (shorter process) or shade-dried (longer process). The peppers are then cleaned and dipped in boiling oil for a few seconds, creating the crunchy exterior ( "cruschi" ). They are then packaged in cellophane bags. From there, there are different ways of handling the peppers for use in dishes.

Rolls

Rolls,

Thanks so much for your explanations!  Looked up "peperoni secchi" and the look beautiful. 

http://thisitalianlife.blogspot.com/2014/06/auntie-pasta-pepperoni-di-senise.html

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 08:06:10 AM »
Going to try to slow roast these tiny tomatoes on the vine today.  They were just picked this morning.

Going somewhat on what this recipe says to do.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/slow-roasted-cherry-tomatoes

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 08:51:06 PM »
The tiny vine ripened slow roasted tomatoes turn out delicious.  They were so sweet that they were better than candy.  Ate all of the slow roasted garlic.  The garlic was very good when soft.

Took along some San Marzano tomatoes, just picked from the garden and just cut them haphazardly.  Some kosher salt was applied and they were also slow baked along with the vine ripened tiny tomatoes.  The interesting thing about the San Marzano when slow roast with the skins side up was they tasted very much like a beef jerky in texture.  :-D They also were very good.

Right from the vines and made into things almost just as fast as Stanislaus tomatoes.

Norma

Offline foreplease

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 09:14:14 PM »
What are we gonna do when summer is over? Shame on any of us northerners who don't make the most of it.

You have so many great ideas, Norma.
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 10:00:27 PM »
What are we gonna do when summer is over? Shame on any of us northerners who don't make the most of it.

You have so many great ideas, Norma.

Tony,

Don't know what we are going to do when summer is over.  :( It is already getting a lot cooler here already.  The summer really wasn't hot like it usually is.  We also had a lot of rain and didn't have to water the garden plants very much. 

Could come up with more ideas for tomatoes but don't have time to try them.   :-D  There are many kinds of tomatoes just hanging on the vines and on the ground.  Am trying to figure out what to do with some of the little yellow pear tomatoes.  Have any ideas for them?  Still have to can some of the San Marzano's.

Norma

wordpress