A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
New York Style / Re: rparker's NY Style Mis-adventures
« Last post by rparker on Today at 09:03:47 PM »
I baked my next step up in weight pie tonight. 635g, .088TF, 30hr CF. 18" with 355g moz and 25g cheddar. I needed more sauce. 225g seemed to look very unsubstantial and it baked up that way. Another ounce of sauce the next time. Another minute or so would have been good, too. 

I mixed my good flour instead of the bad flour and it showed right from the start. I'm messing with my next-day dough procedure a bit. One more tweak. This crust did taste better developed than the last few of the short term efforts. Trying to find that perfect balance. I did no degassing efforts on this one again. This one puffed up a bit too much, but came out alright at stretch. I was VERY pleased with the stretch. Nice and even. Great bite, chew and crumb texture.

Very pleased with the way these big ones are shaping up. Kind of amazing to know I can do these monsters at home now.  >:D  This is still not as thick as that professional dough I got last weekend. That's the next weight step up. 18", 675g. I'll probably stop there. I liked this one tonight.

I need to stop using extra bench flour every time I make that next "biggest one ever" pie.  >:( >:(    Full disclosure, though. Still.... 

Hearth Ovens / Re: Gustavsen wood grill (ved grill)
« Last post by TXCraig1 on Today at 09:00:55 PM »
I won the Chef's choice at a recent BBQ cookoff with a burnt ends pizza baked on the GG. All the BBQ guys were scratching their heads (and cussing) about how a pizza won the big prize!
Ask the Dough Doctor / Re: Factors that cause dough strength
« Last post by Jr07 on Today at 08:39:18 PM »
Higher protein content flour..the higher the better.
No fermentation.
Dough mixer to full gluten development
5% salt.
Optimum absorption for the flour.

If you plan to use the dough for a crust:
Higher protein content flour.
Limited fermentation (about 6-hours)
Dough mixer to near full development.
2.5% salt.
Optimum absorption for the flour, maybe a little more...

We used to open a 16-ounce dough ball to approximately 36-inches in diameter without it tearing.

It also helps a lot to know how to coax the dough out that far too.
There have been some competitions to see who could open a fixed amount of dough to the largest diameter.

Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

5% salt by weight? So 2kg of dough , 100 gr of salt?
General Pizza Making / Re: Hermit's Pizza Fare
« Last post by CaptBob on Today at 08:26:59 PM »
LOVE the look of that one!! :chef:
General Pizza Making / Re: Hermit's Pizza Fare
« Last post by Hermit on Today at 07:55:06 PM »
16" NYish style white pie, half with chicken.   Made dough for 7H RT ferment.  Reballed it an hour after it was mixed.  Topped with 2 cloves of fresh pressed garlic in 2 Tbsp EVOO, then a huge pinch of reggiano, 2oz of cabot sharp white cheddar, rotisserie chicken on half, 6oz of LMPS mozz, and about 4oz of ricotta with dried basil/oregano, black pepper and parmesan.  Baked in oven at 475F on screen, center rack with convection for 9m30s.  Crust had a nice flavor for a short RT ferment, the texture was nice and chewy with a bit of crisp on the outside.  Loved this pizza!

Bread Flour (100%):
Water (58%):
IDY (0.13%):
Salt (2%):
EVOO (2%):
Honey (2%):
DMP 60 lintner (0.6%):
Total (164.73%):
346.03 g
200.7 g
0.45 g
6.92 g
6.92 g
6.92 g
2.08 g
570.01 g | 20.11 oz | 1.26 lbs | TF = 0.1
New York Style / How does this skin look?
« Last post by hammettjr on Today at 07:22:11 PM »
Can you rate my dough based on this skin? Unfortunately I didn't take any other pics of it.

General Pizza Making / Re: Capt. B's pizza journey.......
« Last post by CaptBob on Today at 06:59:18 PM »
Thanks QD......
Ask the Dough Doctor / Re: Weak in the middle
« Last post by The Dough Doctor on Today at 06:52:09 PM »
You use the word "collapse" and when I hear this word in conjunction with a pizza crust it is indicative of a crust that has "collapsed" after baking. The center of a pizza is the last part to bake and if not baked properly it WILL collapse upon removal from the oven. To address this try baking longer (this might mean baking at a lower temperature too) and pay attention to how you are dressing the skin, DO NOT dump the toppings into the middle of the skin and spread them around, instead, dress the skin so the toppings are a little heavier out towards the rim/edge of the pizza and sparse in the center, as the pizza bakes the toppings will flow to the center. This allows for the center to be better baked, all things equal. Too much toppings or sauce can also contribute to the problem. This is where the pics come into play as it allows us to see what the pizza actually looks like so we can more accurately determine what the cause is, once we know what the cause of the problem is it's pretty straight forward to figure out how best to address the problem.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor
Ask the Dough Doctor / Re: Factors that cause dough strength
« Last post by Pete-zza on Today at 06:52:02 PM »
If you had to enunerate these what would they be? For the sake of argument lets say you wanted to develop a dough that could be stretched to the max without ever breaking is that possible?

I have read salt is a key item... then fermentation time? Where more is not necesarily better, in fact the opposite

I want to see if I can factor in a step to my process that makes my skins more tear proof when stretching

J
J,

What Tom discussed in his first example is what is often called an acrobatic dough. If that is what you are interested in, you can find several posts on the subject, including a couple of dough formulations, by searching the forum using acrobatic dough as the keywords.

Peter
Ask the Dough Doctor / Re: Weak in the middle
« Last post by werty20 on Today at 06:49:37 PM »
I actually dont have any pictures of when they collapsed in the middle. ... i just tried a different technique of stretching by not pressing down in the middle and the pizza was more consistently thick  all throughout, but i could not stretch it more and ended up with a smaller pizza. I will start another thread about strength
do u know what is your dough temp before u open it ?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress