A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: First Sicilian Attempts and Questions  (Read 615 times)

Offline Trossite

• I Love Pizza!
First Sicilian Attempts and Questions
« on: January 23, 2017, 07:26:42 PM »
Wasn't sure i should start a new thread for this, but also didn't want to hijack someone else's thread.
I'm attempted to make a Sicilian twice and now and both times had a little issue with the dough that i'm hoping you guys can help me solve.
Both times i've really enjoyed the pizza and it's tastes great, however, the middle never seems to fully cook, it's still doughy.

The first time i thought it was because i put raw peppers on and the water from them leaked down and didn't allow the dough to cook.
I actually think this was part of the issue, but not all of it.

The 2nd attempt this weekend was better, but still a little doughy in the middle say 2.5" in from the edges.
I'm not doing a Detroit style where i have the sauce on top so maybe that's part of it too, but i want to have the sauce under the cheese.
the 2nd time i brushed a little bit of olive oil on the dough before i put the sauce down thinking this might help keep some of the moisture from the sauce out of the dough.
I wasn't sure if i should start par-baking them a little, but it seems like no one does that.

My formula that i've been using is:
Flour - 100%
Water - 68%
IDY - .25%
Salt - 2.5%
Sugar - 1%
TF = .135

Baking was at 500 in a gas oven with convection about 13min
The 1st 2 pics are of the 1st attempt and the 3rd pic is from my 2nd attempt.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Re: First Sicilian Attempts and Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 07:39:02 PM »
What kind of pan are you using?
Hans

Offline justazaguy

• ZAZAZAZAZA
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 12:51:17 AM »
I use par-baking regualrly, and find that to be a great way to prevent this. Additionally if you sauce a bit with the par-bake, and then sauce again post par-bake with the toppings you get the delicious mixture of cooked/uncooked sauce.

It seems like those that don't par-bake, put the sauce on top so that they can cook it longer without burning the cheese

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 08:33:32 AM »
I use par-baking regualrly, and find that to be a great way to prevent this. Additionally if you sauce a bit with the par-bake, and then sauce again post par-bake with the toppings you get the delicious mixture of cooked/uncooked sauce.

It seems like those that don't par-bake, put the sauce on top so that they can cook it longer without burning the cheese

I don't think par baking and cheese burning are related at all. I get a great bake on the dough and the cheese without par baking. I get the balance by using oven position to get top and bottom finished together. The pizza in the photo was not par baked and sauce was applied post bake. In the second, sauce was applied pre bake.
Hans

Offline Trossite

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 10:12:51 AM »
I'm just using a 9x9 non stick cake pan that we have.  I want to get a true pizza pan, but just started to get into making these types of pizza.
Trying to get more variety in styles of pizza over the normal NY types i make.

Offline justazaguy

• ZAZAZAZAZA
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 05:24:20 PM »
I don't think par baking and cheese burning are related at all. I get a great bake on the dough and the cheese without par baking. I get the balance by using oven position to get top and bottom finished together. The pizza in the photo was not par baked and sauce was applied post bake. In the second, sauce was applied pre bake.

ok then what's the problem if you're getting a great bake on the dough? I thought you were saying it was undercooked.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 07:14:32 PM »
I think you are baking it too hot and fast for that thickness.  500 convection is about the same as 525 non-convection.  If the outside is well done and the center is not, then that seems to be what is happening.  Everyone's oven is a little different so you do not have to follow exactly what others are doing in that time/temp.

I bake mine (about the same thickness) in the 450-475 range for 20 - 25 minutes.  If the top is getting done too fast, you can shield it with a big piece of foil and let the pie bake through.
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline Trossite

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 07:53:39 PM »
I think you are baking it too hot and fast for that thickness.  500 convection is about the same as 525 non-convection.  If the outside is well done and the center is not, then that seems to be what is happening.  Everyone's oven is a little different so you do not have to follow exactly what others are doing in that time/temp.

I bake mine (about the same thickness) in the 450-475 range for 20 - 25 minutes.  If the top is getting done too fast, you can shield it with a big piece of foil and let the pie bake through.

That's a good point I should try reducing the temp and baking a little longer.  I was cooking at that temp as i was doing an NY at the same time and was trying to time them to come out together.  I put the NY in about half way through the Sicilian baking.

ok then what's the problem if you're getting a great bake on the dough? I thought you were saying it was undercooked.

Justazaguy that comment was from HBolte not me :-)

Offline Duke Lecker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 10:45:02 AM »
I also attempted Sicilian the first time and I think it was a dud--overall it was too cakey and the crust wasn't very crunchy.  I used roughly a 50/50 split between semolina and all-purpose flour.  I cold fermented for 48 hours, proofed for two, cooked for 24 mins at 450 on a stone.  Before putting the dough in the pan, I coated the pan with 1/4 cup of olive oil.  Should I have used butter instead?