A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Cracker Crust - stone vs cutter pan?  (Read 1196 times)

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
Re: Cracker Crust - stone vs cutter pan?
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2017, 06:04:04 PM »
How did yours break?

Not sure, just seems to happen with these cheap thin stones. I don't want to replace another one so my next one will be a lot more durable.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2017, 06:23:16 PM »
...I've gotten by using regular 9x13 pans but the straight sides make it hard to get a spatula under to remove...

Anyone have a trick for this? My pan has straight walls too and getting the pie out is always an adventure.
Matt

Online bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2017, 06:44:55 PM »
I broke 2 of the thinner stones (about 7/16) that I bought at the local restaurant supply for about 12 bucks.  Both broke when I took the oven over 500 degF.  The first time too.  I had baked on both a handful of times in the 450 to 475 degF range with no problem.

I went to an Old Stone Cordierite stone and no cracking at oven max for a couple of years now.  Reading up on Cordierite kiln shelves they say you can take them out of the kiln and throw them in a snow bank with no problem.

I also do cracker in a dark anodized cutter pan on the stone.  If I parbake (2.5 to 3 mins) I finish off directly on the stone after topping it out.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 06:46:37 PM by bigMoose »
All the best, Dave

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2017, 12:16:01 PM »
Anyone have a trick for this? My pan has straight walls too and getting the pie out is always an adventure.

Usually greasing a pan with a solid fat saves the day but even that hasn't been fool proof for me lately. I think a different pan is the best option though as the straight sides make it hard to check how the bottom is coming along; I ruined two trays of pull apart rolls on Easter because I couldn't check the bottom lol.

Offline jlgreen

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2017, 01:09:09 PM »
I prefer using a stone. My stones are broken as well but I just push them together and they still get hot and transfer the heat like they're supposed to. I've used pans before but don't enjoy washing, drying and putting them back in the cupboard.

Soon to be graduating to a backyard wood fired oven which will not need either.