A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Finding eager Employees  (Read 2041 times)

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
Re: Finding eager Employees
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2017, 11:49:13 AM »
Im, sorry, but that statement is a total load of crap! We have young adults with zero life skills who are functionally illiterate, there is no base to even build on to train many of these younger adults. When I have applicants showing up solely to meet their work search requirements with no ontention of finding gainful employment, it is nothing but a waste of time for the employer.
Then you have people in their 20's applying for their first job ever, and they expect management positions!

True story,
I interviewed and hired a young married veteran with a child on the way who is/was working for Dominos under $8/hour for almost 3 years.
Right off the bat my compensation package is double what he is currently making.

the day before he is supposed to start, he calls to tell me that  the "D" offered him a management position, So I asked how much more money he'd be getting.
I get a long pause so I ask again, He is not making more money, they are giving him a name tag that has "Manager" printed on it. He tells me he will join our team only if I make him a manager. I ask him what part of the restaurant he wants to manage. He just repeats "I want to be a manager"
So, he stayed at Dominos.

I interview another guy, during my dough stretching demo, he tells me that he wants to use cornmeal to stretch dough, not flour. I explain that we do not use cornmeal, he argues with me telling me I am wrong, my process is stupid, and he'll do things how he wants.
 What the hell am I supposed to do with that?

So it is not a management problem, it is a incompetency and inability to follow directions problem.
Many f these kids were never told they have done anything wrong, they have never been corrected when they did something wrong, so when you do correct them, they have a meltdown because for the first 18 years of their life, no matter what they did, they were told they are superstars and gotten trophies just for showing up and they cannot handle otherwise.

We are batting about .800 with our high school and college students. We had to let a couple go because they were too slow but all came on time, dressed appropriately, adhered to our no cell phone policy, and interacted appropriately with customers and staff.  The ones we have are dead on honest, hard working, old school ethic, kids. Teaching public middle/high school for 25 years sure has helped with screening and managing this age group.  Our biggest failure group has been non disabled adults. We have deemed them another social cause for the most part and with our current social cause we can't take this group except when a normal/well grounded person appears :)  I would quit the restaurant business if we had to rely on this group for our employees. Our special needs employees are batting close to perfect.  We  had to let one go mostly due to their parents dysfunction.  She lived with them and their baggage was too much to deal with.  Walter

We keep a help wanted sign in the window.  That and a free listing on the college job board is all the advertising we do.  The window sign says to call the shop between 2-4 to discuss the job.  If people come in during open hours and ask about the job I tell them to read the sign and basically scratch them off the list as not one has called back as they have to find our phone number and not get immediate response.  The goal is to attract customers as employees as they know our cause, us, and our pizza.  It has worked well. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 02:05:32 PM by waltertore »
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2017, 06:24:25 PM »
Im, sorry, but that statement is a total load of crap! We have young adults with zero life skills who are functionally illiterate, there is no base to even build on to train many of these younger adults. When I have applicants showing up solely to meet their work search requirements with no ontention of finding gainful employment, it is nothing but a waste of time for the employer.
Then you have people in their 20's applying for their first job ever, and they expect management positions!

Then a 5 Guys burger chain opens down the road, which has very good service, efficient workers, mostly highschool and 20+ year olds, employed from the same demographic, just different management style and company ethic.  If you ever watch Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, you'll see 90% of the time, it's not the employee pool, it's poor management with an owner who thinks it's everyone else's fault.

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2017, 07:33:04 PM »
Then a 5 Guys burger chain opens down the road, which has very good service, efficient workers, mostly highschool and 20+ year olds, employed from the same demographic, just different management style and company ethic.  If you ever watch Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, you'll see 90% of the time, it's not the employee pool, it's poor management with an owner who thinks it's everyone else's fault.

I think Gordon Ramsey is the nightmare, not the kitchen. Scary guy.
Marty

Offline kmb

• Lifetime Member
  • getting a crash course
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2017, 07:50:09 PM »

There's something to be said for hiring kids who came up in the chains, and/or figuring out what they do. Many of chains are doing something right - I am amazed and delighted going to my local chic-fil-a. The kids have gracious attitudes and are constantly moving.

Also, I suggest reading Setting the Table - there's something to Danny Meyers' philosophy on staff and service. We have taken to heart what he says about creating an environment where staff is having fun and likes each other - guests like coming in and feeling like they're going to be part of something that feels good to the staff.

Something to give them ownership in what's happening helps too - get special suggestions from them and mention them on social media if you use their special, ask their input on problems or areas that need improvement. If they ask for something reasonable to help them do their job better, take action and make it happen. (I've had staff thrilled that we got more squeeze bottles when they asked!)

Staff are more likely to stay if they are working with their friends. Every so often we close the restaurant and do something fun. Even went to the beach for a couple of days. It is a huuuuge expense, but worth it. Staff comes back having bonded and with a new energy.

Are you visibly enjoying yourself when you're there?  Modeling the attitude you want staff to have is important.

kristen

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • On the journey
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2017, 08:49:12 PM »
There is also the fact that most of these jobs are easily replaceable as far as income goes.  When I was working minimum wage in my teen years there was always talk amongst emploeeys of going to quit to work for company b for 50 cents more an hour.  These folks liked their job and co workers they just wanted more money.  Smart.

Management is no doubt very important but there still is an amazingly large group of younger aged applicants who are willing to quit their job for threat of having phone privlidges.  They think it's that important to occupy their own perceived "free time" on the company's dime texting or watching youtube.

I would also say the reason you're seeing all-stars working at chic fil a and 5 guys. The manangers probably already fired the poor employees and sent them on their way.

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2017, 11:36:09 PM »
At 60 years old I am old enough to be old school :)  I was raised knowing people are paying you to accommodate them when you work for them.  Very simple way to run a business and employees either accept this or move on.  Walter
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline carnut

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2017, 12:41:28 AM »
Pay,Fun...I would say we pay pretty good for our area. All of our employees are part-time/high school, they average $9.50 hr. One cashier makes $11.00 hr,the other newer one makes $9.00.They both also make tips which average another 10.00 hr.Every Friday & Saturday after we close we eat pizza & wings to unwind.Christmas bonuses are between 300.00 & 1500.00.I have taken my employees on fishing charters,zip line tours & a few years back when we had a great crew I took everyone to the Vegas pizza expo.They payed for their airfare,I payed for everything else.I'm not afraid to spend money on my employees.When I hire someone I tell them they can be a min. wage employee or a $20.00 hr employee.The choice is theirs.BUT is seems nobody is even interested in working a restaurant anymore.They want a job but they don't want to work or they just want to sit around & play on their phones & expect to make the big bucks.After reading some of these post I do see I am not the only one having this problem.

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2017, 02:21:57 PM »

It is not a matter of "Keeping" employees, it is a matter of getting competent people in the door to fill out an application or to drop off their resume.
When I left, my crew was with me for 3 years, and they are still there with the new owner.
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2017, 02:29:19 PM »
It is not a matter of "Keeping" employees, it is a matter of getting competent people in the door to fill out an application or to drop off their resume.
When I left, my crew was with me for 3 years, and they are still there with the new owner.

It's amazing what rebranding and a fresh coat of paint will do to encourage the applicant pool.   These things are a function of mgmt.

Kids enjoy the comraderie and work culture at modern chains.  No surprise kids don't wanna work for a grumpy old guy who hasn't changed the dining room carpet in 40 years.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2017, 03:01:05 PM »
The problem is rampant here in Kansas too. What do you mean I will be expected to work for five days a week? I go out with my bro's three nights a week and that would interfere with my social life! Do you mean I've got to work to get paid??? What a rip-off! Mind you, we are looking for both line workers as well as managers.....nearly impossible to find these days. If you do find a good fit, don't ask about coming in to cover an absent employee (get paid time and a half) it ain't gonna happen. It will interfere with their "social" life.
When I was actively interviewing applicants for positions at AIB one of the most commonly asked questions was "How long will it be before I make Vice President? One even went so far as to query how long it would take for him to make President!!! Heck I was only hiring lab techs!
Go figure.
When I had my shop back in the 60's people used to come to me asking for a job that they could work at and get paid for, I fear those days are gone.  :(
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2017, 06:38:34 PM »
I'm recently retired civil engineer.  The young folks I worked with were pretty damn motivated, hard working, strived to learn and were mostly a joy to work with.  As professionals they worked for a salary, not a wage, and put in the extra hours when needed.  They were treated with respect, paid a competitive salary and decent benefits.

I'd guess the "independent" pizza biz is not able to provide all of that.  Until you can, I think you'll get what you are willing (or able) to pay for.

Bitch all you want about "youth today", but remember that there is a whole world out there that you are not aware of, or choose to ignore.

Offline schold

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2017, 07:21:33 PM »
I'm recently retired civil engineer. 

I guess that was the gist of what you wanted to convey :-D

On a more serious note, I believe this predicament is caused by the current lack of respect in much of Western culture for vocational jobs combined with the Zeitgeist credentialism, leading to a ridiculous degree (pun intended) of educational inflation. Working in a pizzeria is thus something few are willing to do, and which even fewer will bother to take seriously.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 07:23:54 PM by schold »
Cooking is not a recipe, it's a philosophy - unless it's pastry, then it's chemistry.

- Marco Pierre White

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2017, 08:05:39 PM »

On a more serious note, I believe this predicament is caused by the current lack of respect in much of Western culture for vocational jobs combined with the Zeitgeist credentialism, leading to a ridiculous degree (pun intended) of educational inflation. Working in a pizzeria is thus something few are willing to do, and which even fewer will bother to take seriously.

They would take it seriously if the pay was right.  The top pizzerias in NYC pay $20-$30/hour to the pizzamakers, and many of the guys been with the same pizzeria for many years.

When you analyze what is wrong with the pizzerias that can't hold employees, it's the same story.  minimum wage (or close to..), and deplorable work conditions, often overworked. 

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2017, 09:02:42 PM »

Not at all.

The point is, there are many, many, highly motivated young people.  They just are not working in pizza joints for minimum wages.  Why would they?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 10:42:02 PM by parallei »

Offline schold

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2017, 07:41:40 AM »
Not at all.

Haha, you are so simple to read :-D

The point is, there are many, many, highly motivated young people.  They just are not working in pizza joints for minimum wages.  Why would they?

I can think of a million reasons. Maybe because he is passionate about pizza and fascinated by the intricacies of dough. Maybe because he wants to practise each day to become really good at something, a quality which is so rare, to transcend mere technique, to master a craft. Maybe because he loves the rush of service, the heat and noise of the kitchen, standing directly in front of the guests, and receiving, instantaneously, their honest feedback as they have their first bite. Maybe he enjoys coming home from work, sitting in the sofa with a cold beer, feeling tired and knowing full well that he has put in a hard day's work. The pay aint great, but it's OK for his current life situation, and besides, he knows that hard work and dedication always pay off in the long run. Maybe he has plans in his head, he will work hard and learn as much as possible, for one day it will be his name on the door.

Add a cute wife and a few kids and that doesn't sound like a bad life to me.
Cooking is not a recipe, it's a philosophy - unless it's pastry, then it's chemistry.

- Marco Pierre White

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2017, 10:45:51 PM »
Turnover is expensive and can destroy a business.  The wage issue is simple, although apparently poorly understood:  A job is worth exactly what someone is willing to fill it for.  There are 2 schools of thought on the subject:

Pay as little as possible that ensures warm bodies, while also ensuring a high turnover.

Pay a good and increasing wage, after a probationary period to weed out the slackers.

As an example, our company, before we were bought out by a large public company (because we were doing so well), had an average of better than 20 years of service for the sales personnel, an average of 10 years for drivers and office personnel, but only a 5 year average for yard help (2 of 6 of the yard men being 20 year employees).  That means, basically, we have 2 good yard help and 4 that are replaced regularly, and expensively.

The moral being, once you find someone worth a crap, pay them.

Offline GotRocks

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2017, 11:00:23 AM »

The moral being, once you find someone worth a crap, pay them.

I am in full agreement, the problem sits squarely on finding those worthwhile individuals

Offline GotRocks

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2017, 12:18:06 AM »
It's amazing what rebranding and a fresh coat of paint will do to encourage the applicant pool.   These things are a function of mgmt.

Kids enjoy the comraderie and work culture at modern chains.  No surprise kids don't wanna work for a grumpy old guy who hasn't changed the dining room carpet in 40 years.

Dude, get your head out of your ass.
When you own a business, come back and talk.

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2017, 08:45:32 AM »

Dude, get your head out of your ass.
When you own a business, come back and talk.

I've worked in kitchens at michelin rated restaurants to small luncheonettes and pizzerias.  Small businesses like yours are out of touch, that's all.  Like that middle aged guy at the club.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2017, 12:36:49 PM »
Out of curiosity, is there a particular age group from which potential candidates for pizza jobs are found? I know that a lot of chain pizzerias hire high school and college kids but that may not be the case for independents who are looking for workers that will be around for a while. And I would imagine that Millennials are not a targeted age group although I have read of college graduates having to settle for jobs unrelated to their areas of specialty and paying far less than they had hoped (like college graduates working as baristas at Starbucks). The graphics below give some idea as to the different cohorts in terms of size and labor force participation.

Peter