A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Rocco's, Florence NJ  (Read 613 times)

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
Rocco's, Florence NJ
« on: April 14, 2017, 03:58:07 PM »
So, I wasn't on a pizza quest at all today, but hey, this was pretty good.

Was doing an errand away from home base today in the tiny town of Florence NJ.  Wrapping things up, it was definitely time for lunch before heading home. Looking for a sandwich I could eat in the nearby park, I was referred to Rocco's Pizza..they had sandwiches. Yup. And they had  "pizza"  in their name. And let's face it, am I a member of  Sandwichmaking.com? I think not  >:D

The slices looked pretty good...as good as cold slices look in the counter display case before reheating. But the one that my eye..the one you don't see every day, was the Trenton tomato pie. Fresh-looking sauce on top, post-bake snipped basil. Two, please.

Reasonable enough, two  slices and drink, 6 bucks. The test..pie eating. Definitely very tasty! Excellent cheese/sauce ratio.. There was some oil in the dough as well as, I believe some applied to the pir before bake. Standard deck ovens. On reheating, there was a very nice light crisp to the bottom..not crunchy or crackery at all. Dough flavor was way better than most  I try.

Ate it in the park overlooking the Delaware River..nice! Two slices? Yeah, eyes bigger than stomach. Offered one  to some fellow park visitors, but getting no takers, it came home with me. It was good pie..it needed a good home. :)

Sorry pic back-focused..one handed cell phone pic in bright sunlight..didn't prefocus

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
Re: Rocco's, Florence NJ
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 05:35:13 PM »
That is a great looking slice. And great scenery.  You should do errands there more often  :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 05:38:03 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 06:41:17 PM »
It was really good, thanks..It's fun to find a place at random like that  :)

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 07:28:19 PM »
Being from jersey, are you experienced with tomato pies? Or are they uncommon in your area.
Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 08:07:21 PM »
Bill,

Looks very tasty!

Norma

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 09:24:22 PM »
Still a beginner..Delorenzo's mainly, Pappa's once...that was enough. I'm a little more than half hour from the closest tomato pie

Thanks...I think you'd like it Norma

Offline petef

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 10:41:09 PM »

Here's a top 25 NJ Pizza list someone sent me the other day that lists as #12 "Old World tomato Pie" in Florence, NJ.  I was surprised to hear that because I'm close by and never heard of this place before.
http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2017/04/njs_best_pizzeria_is_one_of_the_most_unique_in_ame.html#incart_river_home

I'll have to make a couple of trips to Florence, NJ to try both Rocco's and Old World tomato Pie.

Thanks for posting!

--pete--

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 11:40:04 PM »
Looks like a good amount of hard cheese on that slice.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 12:48:58 AM »
Not sure, Ryan..I didn't pick up on that flavor. It might be that what you're seeing is the (out-of-focus!) light reflections on the sauce..it was quite juicy, and , ,tomato-ey
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 07:55:29 AM by Jersey Pie Boy »

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 07:56:13 AM »
Thanks PeteF...Sounds like I've got some pizzas to try.

Edit: Whoops..Looks like maybe don't rush to Old World...they seem to be closed without a new location, and the Yelp and google reviews were terrible. Photos of their pies didn't look to impressive. Better stick with Rocco's for the moment :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 08:05:09 AM by Jersey Pie Boy »

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 09:23:31 AM »
looks great and I have been wanting to try there.  There is a place on my side of the river in Yardley called Franco's and they make a pretty good tomato pie.  Actua;;y the only tomatoe pie i know of on this side of the delaware
tom

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 10:45:19 AM »
Come on over :-)   I's a tiny place really, but they were plenty busy. The little park/boat launch has a few benches and is a nice spot for lunch  on a sunny spring day.

Did you make it over to Liberty Hall in Lambertville?  We were in L'ville just about a week ago, but tried a barbecue place new in town ..they used to be in Stockton Market...very good beef and pork..tried both on different trips   https://www.yelp.com/biz/more-than-q-lambertville

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 10:56:52 AM »
Clarification...a few posts up when I said "that was enough" I was referring to my one visit to Pappa's..not that II'd had enough tomato pies..not by a long shot  :-D

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 08:53:25 AM »
Come on over :-)   I's a tiny place really, but they were plenty busy. The little park/boat launch has a few benches and is a nice spot for lunch  on a sunny spring day.

Did you make it over to Liberty Hall in Lambertville?  We were in L'ville just about a week ago, but tried a barbecue place new in town ..they used to be in Stockton Market...very good beef and pork..tried both on different trips   https://www.yelp.com/biz/more-than-q-lambertville

Have not been to the Liberty yet but this coming saturday I will be chauffering the girls to a Swarovski event and will be coming thru Lambertville on the way back so I am going to suggest we stop.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 09:21:19 AM »
That would be a nice stop along the way ..if there's time . there's a very nice little ice cream shop just a few doors closer to downtown ,it's great ice cream!

http://www.owowcow.com/lambertville   

Jewelry, pizza, ice cream..now that's a plan for a day!

wordpress