A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Using fresh yeast for the first time, have a question  (Read 510 times)

Offline kuhne

• I Love Pizza!
Using fresh yeast for the first time, have a question
« on: April 20, 2017, 12:27:20 PM »
I am using a recipe that asks for fresh yeast. I normally use IDY because its the easiest to find for me but the local baker had some spare fresh yeast and sold me some.

I've never used this before. The recipe says "at this point, crumble in the fresh yeast"

That's all it says. I was always under the impression that fresh yeast has to undergo some sort of process itself before you actually use it as an ingredient, kind of the way ADY has to go through but I imagine it would be even more complex being this is fresh yeast. Yet this recipe says nothing of the sort, it just says to crumble in 5grams of fresh yeast.

Is the recipe assuming I am not an idiot and should already know that the yeast has undergone that process? Or is activation and/or whatever else the yeast needs to undergo, not necessary here? Since I still need to leave the whole thing hours and hours in the counter for it to rise?

Thanks!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Using fresh yeast for the first time, have a question
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 01:46:11 PM »
kuhne,

I think that this post by Tom may answer many of your questions:

Reply 11 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=39239.msg392751;topicseen#msg392751.

Peter

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 04:19:33 PM »
Kuhne;
The recommended/preferred method to add fresh yeast (compressed yeast) CY is to simply crumble it up and add it just as it is into the flour. Just don't let it come into direct contact with the salt or sugar. If you are hand mixing your dough you may find it easier to incorporate the CY by first suspending it in the dough water. No special precautions are necessary, just add the CY to the water and whisk until completely suspended then proceed in making your dough in your normal manner.
Don't forget to use the correct conversion for CY from IDY (about 2.5 times as much CY as you were using IDY) or if you want to go from CY to IDY use 40% as much IDY as CY.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline kuhne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 02:03:51 AM »
Thanks both of you for helping me once again.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T