A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Size  (Read 443 times)

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
Pizza Size
« on: April 20, 2017, 10:29:39 PM »
For calculation of TF, and other discussions here, when is the diameter of the pizza measured, pre- or post-bake?

Thanks

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Pizza Size
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 12:26:55 AM »
Pre-bake. Different dough formulas, management procedures, forming technique/method, types/styles will all influence the amount of bake shrink a pizza exhibits. If we measured the diameter post bake everybody would be using a different size pan, screen, disk or hand forming to a different size all to make the same size pizza in the end. When calculating thickness factor/dough loading again we use pre-bake diameter.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 06:43:03 AM »
Ah, thanks Tom...So I'm ordinarily making 14 in pies, not 12's. The TF didn't make sense to me because my crusts are pretty thin , so  when I thought they were considered 12's, it didn't really seem on target.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 08:30:43 AM »
Bill,

It has never been clear to me whether pizza places, such as the chains, use the baked pizza sizes when they say their pizzas are 12", 14", 16", and so on. But I know that when I have measured baked pizzas that I bought from pizza chains, the pizzas were smaller than the represented sizes. I even remembered reading an article where Domino's was charged with shortchanging customers by selling them undersized pizzas. Of course, the easy way to get around this problem is to use descriptors such as personal, small, medium, large, etc.

I remember getting into some of the sizing issues when I tried to reverse engineer and clone the Papa Gino's pizzas. The sizing issue was important to me since I was trying to come up with the dough ball weight that corresponded to the PG pizzas as related to the nutritional information for the pizzas that I was analyzing. At the suggestion of a member who was a professional with the Sbarro chain (in the Philippines), I ended up stretching the PG clone skins to about 15" so that the finished pizza sizes were about 14". You can read about some of my travails in this regard at Reply 59 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=8167.msg70978#msg70978 and at Reply 77 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=8167.msg71109;topicseen#msg71109. Of course, in a home setting, little of this matters since no one is getting out a ruler to measure your pizza sizes :-D.

Peter

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 09:29:25 AM »
 :)  Thanks Peter..I'll check out those links