A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Blackstone Longevity  (Read 486 times)

Offline lakebilly

Blackstone Longevity
« on: August 26, 2017, 08:25:22 AM »
Hi All

Thinking about purchasing a Blackstone.  At less than $250.00 for one of these, I have pretty low expectations of quality and durability.   If I keep this covered and under a balcony where it will only get wet during rains with a strong wind, what would be the expected lifespan?  I would be pretty happy if it would last 6 to 8 years, while not becoming an eyesore on my deck.

Any input from experienced users would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks in advance.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Blackstone Longevity
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 09:16:28 AM »
They first appeared on this forum a little more than 4 years ago, I don't think I've ever heard of one being sent to the scrap heap. If you take care of it, I don't think there is any reason it won't last for 10 years or more. You'll probably need to replace the motor at some point, and maybe the burner someday, but that's not a big deal.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 09:16:53 AM »
I have one I bought 3 years ago and it is still running on the original motor. I did the bearing modification (no longer a relevant modification) and I've greased that bearing a few times. The oven is kept in a garage but I have used it in snowy/rainy weather. When in use, snow will accumulate on the shelves, but not the dome. If you time it right, you can get one for close to $200 from Amazon or Walmart. I've enjoyed mine. I paid a little over $300 for it at a Lowes and have no regrets.

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 10:48:13 AM »
I bought one when they first came out in 2013, and while they were around $400 ,  IIRC,  I had a similar concern, how long would it last.  Mine sits outside year round, not under a balcony or deck.  I have a cover that stays on it when not it use. I have used it in the rain and snow.  I use it  nearly every week since I got it and it is still going strong. Every year I take apart the burner and clean out the rust, and brush off the surface rust on the oven and hit it with high heat paint, though it really haven't had much surface rust -  except when I forgot a  weeks ago to put on the cover, and  it rained every day  before I noticed.  You may need less maintenance if it is under a balcony.  As Craig says, the motor is probably the weak link, but they are pretty cheap and easy to replace.  No regrets at buying one for me.

Offline lakebilly

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 08:24:08 AM »
Thanks guys.  For such a small investment, it sounds like a no-brainer.  I'm a few weeks away from pulling the trigger, but I will post some pics once I get it and  get the hang of it.  Thanks for the picture Jon.