A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Advantages of wood burning oven over Blackstone?  (Read 500 times)

Offline DoouBall

Advantages of wood burning oven over Blackstone?
« on: August 30, 2017, 05:11:59 PM »
Are there any major advantages of a wood burning oven over a Blackstone?

I've had my Blackstone for several years and it makes some amazing pizzas with very even browning/charring, so I'm trying to understand if a wood burning oven is really an upgrade. It seems like a fun project, but I see several potential downsides - need to stock up on wood, longer warm up time, necessity to manage the wood actively, necessity to turn the pizza actively, potentially more cleanup. Is there anything that makes this extra work and time worth it?

I imagine that a 90 second pizza would taste about the same baked with wood vs gas. It just doesn't seem long enough for significant amounts of wood flavor to penetrate the pizza. I've also never detected any wood or smoke flavor in pizza made in restaurant wood burning ovens. Am I wrong on this?

Thanks,

Alex

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Advantages of wood burning oven over Blackstone?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 05:52:43 PM »
You are right about the wood flavor.

I started with the WFO thing over 15 years ago when there were far fewer options. If I were starting out today, I would probably opt for something like a Pizza Party. The flexibility of a high-dome WFO like mine has allowed me to turn out all kinds of non-pizza dishes, but these days I pretty much only fire the WFO up for Neapolitan-style pizza and bread. I doubt any other method of baking bread can compare with the WFO. For other dishes like roasting meats, poultry, etc., my smoker, grill, and SV rig get most of the action. 

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 09:26:04 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Bill! When you say you would probably opt for a Pizza Party, are you referring to the gas version, or would you still use wood in it?

You are right about the wood flavor.

I started with the WFO thing over 15 years ago when there were far fewer options. If I were starting out today, I would probably opt for something like a Pizza Party. The flexibility of a high-dome WFO like mine has allowed me to turn out all kinds of non-pizza dishes, but these days I pretty much only fire the WFO up for Neapolitan-style pizza and bread. I doubt any other method of baking bread can compare with the WFO. For other dishes like roasting meats, poultry, etc., my smoker, grill, and SV rig get most of the action.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 09:29:25 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Bill! When you say you would probably opt for a Pizza Party, are you referring to the gas version, or would you still use wood in it?

No idea. Not really interested in getting a new oven. It's just the photos I've seen from Pizza Party users, even newbies, are impressive.

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 10:38:54 PM »
Yeah, it seems impressive for a small and relatively inexpensive WFO.

No idea. Not really interested in getting a new oven. It's just the photos I've seen from Pizza Party users, even newbies, are impressive.