A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Modding of GGF Micro  (Read 553 times)

Offline flateric

• I Love Pizza!
Modding of GGF Micro
« on: September 14, 2017, 04:50:01 AM »
Hi everybody,
I have a Fimar Micro1c oven which is basically a GGF Micro, with glass door.

I bought it last winter and I'm happy of it especially because I paid it less than half its official price, second hand and only used a few times by its first owner. First mod I made was to apply a 3.2cm biscotto from "fornace Saputo" of Casapulla.

Pasts week I ordered a 2100W Fagor 74X2310 top heating element which is on its way. The point is that once I disassemble the oven I would like to improve its insulation, and once I buy some insulating fiber I would also like to insulate the door by applying a stripe of insulating woolrock on the glass and blocking it with a metal plate which I plan to solder to the door.

Then I have two questions:
- any suggestion on the insulation to use?
- did anyone ever do any of the mod I planned?

Thanks everybody!

Offline sjarvis77

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Modding of GGF Micro
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 07:42:27 AM »
Hello.

I haven't done work on the Micro 1c specifically but (and after reading plenty about the GGF/Fimar/Effeuno) I picked up a GAM MD1 and replaced the upper element (800W > 2000W), swapped out the thermostats (350>500C), and replaced most of the insulation (which was some sort of basic ceramic fiber) with Morgan Thermal Ceramics bbio-soluble "Superwool Plus". It seems to be available on Ebay but i got it from a local company here. It was about $50 for 7 meters (but this is not a to consumer price). It's a lot denser than the ceramic wool.

The Micro already is equipped with 500C thermostats so presumably the insulation is sufficient but if you want to upgrade it, it's probably best to remove/replace the current insulation. The Superwool does a good job, but it does still get hot on top and on the side, and you don't want to lose any existing airspace (someone on an italian forum double wrapped the oven and ended up with a hotter exterior). At these temperatures, the control compartment sits around 45 degrees usually (about 20 over ambient).

I've seen some people voicing concerns about the need for improved wiring, but everything in the GAM, and the Micro looks the same, is 16AWG which is sufficient. Is the door double pane glass? I got the idea from someone (maybe Sub?) to jam some insulation in between the panes. Won't solder melt at those temperatures? I have no idea about that stuff.

You've probably seen this but it gives an idea about what you might find inside. http://laconfraternitadellapizza.forumfree.it/?t=67488240

THe whole thing was a real challenge but worth it. 60 second pizzas are easy now. Any questions I'd be happy to help out.

Offline flateric

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 06:36:47 AM »
Hello.

I haven't done work on the Micro 1c specifically but (and after reading plenty about the GGF/Fimar/Effeuno) I picked up a GAM MD1 and replaced the upper element (800W > 2000W), swapped out the thermostats (350>500C), and replaced most of the insulation (which was some sort of basic ceramic fiber) with Morgan Thermal Ceramics bbio-soluble "Superwool Plus". It seems to be available on Ebay but i got it from a local company here. It was about $50 for 7 meters (but this is not a to consumer price). It's a lot denser than the ceramic wool.
Thanks for the hint, I'll see if I find something similar here too.

Quote from: sjarvis77
The Micro already is equipped with 500C thermostats so presumably the insulation is sufficient but if you want to upgrade it, it's probably best to remove/replace the current insulation. The Superwool does a good job, but it does still get hot on top and on the side, and you don't want to lose any existing airspace (someone on an italian forum double wrapped the oven and ended up with a hotter exterior). At these temperatures, the control compartment sits around 45 degrees usually (about 20 over ambient).
umh... then I'll probably install the new upper element and give it a try to see how hot the exterior becomes. I mean dismounting the oven doesn't look such a hard job.
Quote from: sjarvis77
I've seen some people voicing concerns about the need for improved wiring, but everything in the GAM, and the Micro looks the same, is 16AWG which is sufficient. Is the door double pane glass? I got the idea from someone (maybe Sub?) to jam some insulation in between the panes. Won't solder melt at those temperatures? I have no idea about that stuff.

You've probably seen this but it gives an idea about what you might find inside. http://laconfraternitadellapizza.forumfree.it/?t=67488240

THe whole thing was a real challenge but worth it. 60 second pizzas are easy now. Any questions I'd be happy to help out.
No, the door isn't double pane glass. And yes, I suspect solder could melt, I need to think a bit more about how to improve door insulation. And once again maybe just replacing the upper element is enough to get lower than 90sec for a pizza.

Thanks for your help! I'll share the updates in the next days.

Offline sjarvis77

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 03:24:57 AM »
If you use the often suggested Fagor element I'd say easily. The chamber in mine is just 8cm but 90sec is nothing now. 60 is easily achievable (around 475 degrees). With a 2k top element and by raising the stone that'll probably be sufficient. Look forward to seeing how it goes!

Offline Pirmin1996

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 06:38:46 AM »
Hi everybody,
I have a Fimar Micro1c oven which is basically a GGF Micro, with glass door.

I bought it last winter and I'm happy of it especially because I paid it less than half its official price, second hand and only used a few times by its first owner. First mod I made was to apply a 3.2cm biscotto from "fornace Saputo" of Casapulla.

Pasts week I ordered a 2100W Fagor 74X2310 top heating element which is on its way. The point is that once I disassemble the oven I would like to improve its insulation, and once I buy some insulating fiber I would also like to insulate the door by applying a stripe of insulating woolrock on the glass and blocking it with a metal plate which I plan to solder to the door.

Then I have two questions:
- any suggestion on the insulation to use?
- did anyone ever do any of the mod I planned?

Thanks everybody!

Hello,

i also have the ggf micro.

I also wanted to get some stones in it and aditional isolation.

What i found out is that you dont have to do any of it.

Only clip of the thermometer of the top heating element.

So the element doesnt stop heating.

It can heat the stone way above 500 C within 60 min.

But you need to conpletely turn of the element from time to time so that it cant get to high.

Some of the inner plastics melted as i was trying to get max temp at 550

You need to use a pizza sceeen!

Bottom at 450 and top 500.

Here some results
respect the craft

Offline flateric

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 06:55:36 AM »
Hello,

i also have the ggf micro.

I also wanted to get some stones in it and aditional isolation.

What i found out is that you dont have to do any of it.

Only clip of the thermometer of the top heating element.

So the element doesnt stop heating.

It can heat the stone way above 500 C within 60 min.

But you need to conpletely turn of the element from time to time so that it cant get to high.

Some of the inner plastics melted as i was trying to get max temp at 550

You need to use a pizza sceeen!

Bottom at 450 and top 500.

Here some results

Thanks for the suggestions! Great results!

What temperature do you normally set up the lower heating element? Do you use biscotto?

Offline Pirmin1996

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 12:35:44 PM »

What temperature do you normally set up the lower heating element? Do you use biscotto?

thanks!

lower heating element is on 450 top on 500.

Yeah the results were good but i couldn't reach a 90 sec bake. Only 110 or so.

I am a little nervous about putting a stronger heating element.Because the pannel where the controll lamps are is already on 100 C

Is this normal?
respect the craft

Offline Pirmin1996

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 12:37:11 PM »

i am still using the original stone
respect the craft

Offline sjarvis77

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 11:51:24 PM »
I'd have to guess the temperature there will primarily be dictated by the overall internal temperature of the oven. If you don't make it any hotter i doubt the external will get any hotter. It may be worth looking into ways of better isolating the inner chamber from the control area though. I will check the temperature of the front panel next time.

With the 2000w upper element i'm using, i was able to get the following results in 60-70 seconds pretty consistently at a temperature of 450-460C. Preheat time about 30 minutes. Never actually taken it to 500 even though the thermostats go that high. It's getting that proper balance between the stone and the top heat that seems to matter the most. a 500 or 550 degree oven I think you would end up with a burned bottom and lagging top. Just IMO.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 09:59:37 AM by Pete-zza »