A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: When to make the sauce (tomato sauce)  (Read 357 times)

Offline schibetta

• I Love Pizza!
When to make the sauce (tomato sauce)
« on: July 25, 2021, 05:04:36 PM »
Hi,

When do you guys make the sauce when making the pizza ?

Lately I was doing my sauce two days in advance. I make it and keep it in the fridge covered

My sauce is a mix of peeled tomatoes, tomato paste, olive oil, sugar, oregano, salt and some fresh basil

Is there a better time to make the sauce ? maybe two days in advance might deteriorate the sauce I don't know.

maybe I should make it the day I cook the pizza.

what do you do in this regard ?

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Re: When to make the sauce (tomato sauce)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 06:09:07 PM »
One or two hours ahead is all I do.  If you’re going to refrigerate it, let the sauce come to room temp before use.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Papa T

• Supporting Member
  • When the moon hits your eye...
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 06:20:44 PM »
Oxidation is what can dull the sauce over time. If you're going to use all of it, I don't think you will notice much if any degradation in quality by storing it for a couple days, as long as the container doesn't have too much air space in it above the sauce.

The canned ingredients stay on the shelf for a couple years and remain fine, so the key to keeping it fresh in the fridge after making it, is reducing the surface contact of the sauce with the air in the container.

I mix the sauce in amounts that I will use over the next 7 to 10 days, and keep it in the fridge. I put the mixed sauce in a container of appropriate size for the batch, and then cover the sauce in the container with a piece of plastic wrap so it makes contact with the sauce. This reduces surface contact with the air in the container. As I use it up, I keep the plastic wrap on the surface of the sauce in the container when going back into the fridge. I haven't noticed any degradation of the sauce flavor or brightness from the extended cold storage storing it this way.

It's sort of like some higher quality ice cream containers have the piece of film on top that one should keep to re-cover the ice cream as it's being scooped and used over time. The ice cream stays fresher longer that way, and your sauce will too.

Hi,

When do you guys make the sauce when making the pizza ?

Lately I was doing my sauce two days in advance. I make it and keep it in the fridge covered

My sauce is a mix of peeled tomatoes, tomato paste, olive oil, sugar, oregano, salt and some fresh basil

Is there a better time to make the sauce ? maybe two days in advance might deteriorate the sauce I don't know.

maybe I should make it the day I cook the pizza.

what do you do in this regard ?
Everything sounds better in latin.
Omnis pizza 'est bonum.
Every pizza is good.

Making good pizza is not that hard, unless we choose to make it that way.

The best pizza you'll ever make for someone is making the one they ask for instead of making it the way we think it should be made.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 06:46:48 PM »
30 seconds before use. Open can of crushed tomatoes and spoon on. ✅

Offline schibetta

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 11:55:37 AM »
Thanks for the answers

One or two hours ahead is all I do.  If you’re going to refrigerate it, let the sauce come to room temp before use.

what is the point to let the sauce coming to room temperature after refrigerating it ?

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress