A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Today's Bread  (Read 343819 times)

timgiuffi and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline the1mu

• Lifetime Member
Re: Today's Bread
« Reply #4360 on: January 21, 2018, 09:08:50 PM »
English Muffins:

Finally got good at nooks and crannies.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4361 on: January 22, 2018, 01:03:20 PM »
"Stirato" bread - an Italian baguette made with a ciabatta dough.  Very easy to make the dough, mix and ferment.   The only challenging part is transferring the gloppy strips of dough from the counter to the parchment covered peel so that it can be launched on the stone.  So, we got a very artisanal look!  8)

The recipe is from Samuel Fromartz - "In Search of the Perfect Loaf", published here:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/stirato-3414708
https://blog.kingarthurflour.com/2015/02/07/search-perfect-loaf/

I made the KA version - the only difference being the dough had a shorter room temperature ferment and then was cold fermented overnight.  Worked well with my schedule.

Great crust and crumb.

Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #4362 on: January 22, 2018, 02:16:52 PM »
Those look delicious.

Offline foreplease

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4363 on: January 22, 2018, 04:49:44 PM »
Those look delicious.
^^^  Porchetta please. May be a little narrow for it but perfect crumb for IMO.
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

Offline the1mu

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4364 on: January 22, 2018, 09:22:49 PM »
A bit darker than my wife likes, so, more for me!!!

Offline tinroofrusted

• Experimenting....
« Reply #4365 on: January 24, 2018, 10:30:38 AM »
English Muffins:

Finally got good at nooks and crannies.

Those look really great.  Also the bread is quite beautiful. 

I've been baking my bread covered for 20 minutes instead of 30 lately for a more delicate outer crust, which I've been enjoying. 

Any tips for us would-be English muffin makers Mu? 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 10:32:49 AM by tinroofrusted »

Offline the1mu

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4366 on: January 24, 2018, 10:32:53 AM »
Those look really great. 

Any tips for us would-be English muffin makers Mu?

So far, my best results are moderately high hydration and a very long and slow proof.

Basically, I let them sit out on the counter for 6-8 hours after a short-ish bulk (my kitchen is pretty cold at the moment - I’ll have to adjust as temps warm up).

Offline yarbrough462

• An American in Italy
« Reply #4367 on: January 24, 2018, 02:32:24 PM »
For the bread experts, is there any reason I couldn't use TXCraig's sourdough prediction model on bread?  I ferment my pizza at 65 degrees right now because that is the temp at my house.  It also happens to be the perfect temp to make amazing pizza on a 48 hour ferment.  I was thinking I could use the Tartine recipe that has been producing great bread but proof it at 65 degrees for 16 hours.  I would do everything with the same workflow but use the TXCraig ferment schedule.  It shows that I should be good at 16 hours at 20 percent sourdough at my normal kitchen temp of 65 degrees.  So basically, I would do the autolyse with starter, mix the last of the water and the salt and then start my stretch and folds.  After the dough was right, I would dump in the basket. When 16 hours had passed from the start of the stretch and folds, the dough should be close to perfectly proofed.  I would start checking a few hours before so I don't go over.  Thought on this?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 02:35:21 PM by yarbrough462 »

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4368 on: January 24, 2018, 02:44:40 PM »
For the bread experts, is there any reason I couldn't use TXCraig's sourdough prediction model on bread?  I ferment my pizza at 65 degrees right now because that is the temp at my house.  It also happens to be the perfect temp to make amazing pizza on a 48 hour ferment.  I was thinking I could use the Tartine recipe that has been producing great bread but proof it at 65 degrees for 16 hours.  I would do everything with the same workflow but use the TXCraig ferment schedule.  It shows that I should be good at 16 hours at 20 percent sourdough at my normal kitchen temp of 65 degrees.  So basically, I would do the autolyse with starter, mix the last of the water and the salt and then start my stretch and folds.  After the dough was right, I would dump in the basket. When 16 hours had passed from the start of the stretch and folds, the dough should be close to perfectly proofed.  I would start checking a few hours before so I don't go over.  Thought on this?

I've often wondered the same thing but forget to try it. If you do some experimenting please share!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline yarbrough462

• An American in Italy
« Reply #4369 on: January 24, 2018, 02:46:54 PM »
I've often wondered the same thing but forget to try it. If you do some experimenting please share!

I will absolutely be trying this soon.  It seems like it has to work...

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4370 on: January 24, 2018, 02:54:10 PM »
I will absolutely be trying this soon.  It seems like it has to work...

If I were to guess, and if I'm way off please say so, Craig or anyone, I think for bread, doubling the yeast amt from the chart would end up being a sweet spot. But flour is cheap, start at the target amt and adjust from there, just thinking ongoing amts will end up a titch higher, my 2c
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline yarbrough462

• An American in Italy
« Reply #4371 on: January 24, 2018, 02:56:11 PM »
If I were to guess, and if I'm way off please say so, Craig or anyone, I think for bread I think doubling the yeast amt from the chart would end up being a sweet spot. But flour is cheap, start at the target amt and adjust from there, just thinking ongoing amts will end up a titch higher, my 2c

Why would you think double?  I am using sourdough starter so that would be a ton of it...

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4372 on: January 24, 2018, 03:00:10 PM »
Why would you think double?  I am using sourdough starter so that would be a ton of it...

My bad, I had IDY stuck in my head......pay no attention to the man behind the curtain ::)
Jon

Offline yarbrough462

• An American in Italy
« Reply #4373 on: January 24, 2018, 03:02:15 PM »
My bad, I had IDY stuck in my head......pay no attention to the man behind the curtain ::)

No worries.  You could still be right...

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4374 on: January 24, 2018, 03:53:28 PM »

I use chart often for guidance on an SD bread.........like pizza, you may have to adjust for your own starter, process, etc. but the relationships are reasonable.
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4375 on: January 24, 2018, 05:38:01 PM »
20% Starter at 65f over 16hr sounds right.  I've been making bread using 40% Starter at 55-57f over 12hrs.  You can tweak the starter percentage, temp, and time to your schedule. 

Offline hbrochs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4376 on: January 24, 2018, 06:05:02 PM »
First olive loaf

Offline foreplease

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4377 on: January 24, 2018, 06:05:55 PM »
First olive loaf
I love the look of that! Enjoy it.
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

Offline the1mu

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4378 on: January 24, 2018, 07:03:38 PM »

I’m not sure about the sourdough model, but for the yeast prediction model, in a weird way, it works to predict the bulk ferment, not the total fermentation time. So it may be the same for the sourdough model....

Online timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4379 on: January 24, 2018, 08:45:00 PM »
Best one for me in a while. 20% white sonora, 10% red fife, 5% rye.
Tim

wordpress