A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Would this topping combination work?  (Read 558 times)

Offline DustinA

• I Love Pizza!
Would this topping combination work?
« on: January 17, 2018, 11:04:32 AM »
I am working to convert a favorite pork recipe at my house into a pizza.  Here is the rundown on the original dish.

Pork Chops in an apple brandy cream sauce.

Pork is marinated in Apple Juice concentrate, Brandy, garlic, salt and pepper for 3 hours.  It is then removed and grilled.

Sauce is a combination of Butter, Shallots, Heavy cream, Apple juice concentrate, brandy, salt and pepper.

While it sounds like it would be a sweet dish, it is actually rather savory and buttery.

So here is my idea.

1.  Marinate the pork as I normally would.  Instead of using pork chops, I use a pork butt and slow roast it until I can shred it.

2.  I omit the shallots from the sauce (to be used later) and add some kind of thickener to get it to a consistency that would be usable as a pizza sauce.

3.  I use smoked mozzarella to replace some of that grilled flavor I lost by roasting the pork.

4.  I slice the shallots and do a quick pickle in apple cider vinegar and mustard seeds before patting them dry and putting them on the pizza.

My questions is, does this sound even remotely appetizing?  I thought about hitting it with some fresh spinach when it came out, but didn't know if that would be going to far.  Your thoughts?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Would this topping combination work?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 11:56:00 AM »
Sounds interesting! To thicken the sauce you might try using grated Parmesan cheese, giving you something a little like an Alfredo sauce, as for dressing the baked pizza with spinach....sounds GREAT!
Keep us posted.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline DustinA

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 12:43:09 PM »
That's a great idea!  Parmesan cheese would be perfect!  Thanks Tom!

Offline Beth in Denver

• I made a pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 02:37:46 PM »
I'd like to hear how this turns out.   Sounds good to me. 

Do apple slices work on a pizza?  My taste buds are wondering if they would add anything to your experiment?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 05:05:23 PM »
We work with thin slice apples all the time and they work just great! Be sure to soak the apple slices in some lemon water though to prevent them from browning after slicing. Granny Smith apples are the preferred apples, but just about any apple will work. Be sure to leave the peel on for the added flavor.

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 10:24:20 AM »
Pics when you make one of those beauties
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 01:22:38 PM »
In adding "another log onto the fire" dates are something else that really works well on pizza, you don't even recognize them as dates when they are use as a pizza topping. I used them first when I was working in Saudi Arabia and then I used them again when working for a pizzeria in southern California, it was date season (fall) and we wanted to promote dates.

Offline bradtri

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 09:01:47 AM »
In adding "another log onto the fire" dates are something else that really works well on pizza, you don't even recognize them as dates when they are use as a pizza topping. I used them first when I was working in Saudi Arabia and then I used them again when working for a pizzeria in southern California, it was date season (fall) and we wanted to promote dates.
One of my latest pizzas that is getting great reviews is the BaconDater.  Bacon, dates, blue cheese on a small amt of Alfredo sauce and topped with a post-bake drizzle of Bourbon Sauce.  The hardest part of making this pizza is dealing with chopping up the very sticky dates.  Any good techniques for this? 
A Taste of Naples Pizza
www.atasteofnaplespizza.com
https://www.facebook.com/ATasteofNaplesPizza/
"Let Us Bring A Taste of Naples To Your Next Party"

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 09:55:09 AM »
When using dates I normally don't chop mine, I just cut them cross wise into slices about 1/8-inch thick and put them on the pizza just like that.

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 04:02:38 PM »
One of my latest pizzas that is getting great reviews is the BaconDater.  Bacon, dates, blue cheese on a small amt of Alfredo sauce and topped with a post-bake drizzle of Bourbon Sauce. 

Certainly is an interesting recipe.
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline Beth in Denver

• I made a pizza!
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 09:45:16 AM »
One of my latest pizzas that is getting great reviews is the BaconDater.  Bacon, dates, blue cheese on a small amt of Alfredo sauce and topped with a post-bake drizzle of Bourbon Sauce.  The hardest part of making this pizza is dealing with chopping up the very sticky dates.  Any good techniques for this?

Would popping the dates into the freezer for a bit help?

Your BaconDater (Great name!!!) looks delicious!

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 11:59:23 AM »
Beth;
Yes it does. When I use dates though I just tear them apart with my fingers. I like the larger, irregular size pieces I get that way as it adds interest and flavor to the pizza experience.

Offline bradtri

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 05:56:32 PM »
I tried freezing before attempting to run through the sliver blade on the food processor and that was a sticky disaster.  For hand cutting, I found that slicing once lengthwise first seemed to help.  I might try the doc’s tearing methodbug I’d like something I could do a larger volume with that isn’t overly tedious. 
A Taste of Naples Pizza

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 07:54:46 PM »
When you find it let me know as I've not discovered it yet. Dates are a sticky situation no matter how you "cut" it. If ya just gotta have then in bits 'n pieces you can buy them as chopped dates and save yourself a lot of trouble, that's how we did it in production when we made date nut cakes and muffins.

Offline bradtri

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 06:12:01 PM »
When you find it let me know as I've not discovered it yet. Dates are a sticky situation no matter how you "cut" it. If ya just gotta have then in bits 'n pieces you can buy them as chopped dates and save yourself a lot of trouble, that's how we did it in production when we made date nut cakes and muffins.
Here's my first attempt, and it didn't turn out half bad giving me lots of irregularly shaped pieces.  I tossed some whole dates along with 2-3 T of corn starch into the bowl of my food processor.  Did some processing for 20-30 seconds, didn't really time it, just stopped and checked them every now and then.  When done, I rinsed the cornstarch off of the dates. 

Whaddya think? Will it work the same for a larger batch, say 1/2 pound of dates all at once?

A Taste of Naples Pizza

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 07:51:07 PM »
Looks good! Have to remember that. Now let's see how it works with a larger batch size. Things can get outta hand rather quickly when trying to make larger batches in a food processor as it doesn't turn over as quickly so a portion can become a paste in you're not careful. You've got my curiosity up, keep us posted.

wordpress