A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
General Pizza Making / Pizza party
« Last post by MBTD on Today at 06:04:28 AM »
Hello people,

I am looking for some advice/guidance please. I am going away with a group of friends next weekend and the place we are staying at has a pizza oven. Iíve volunteered to make pizzas for everyone one evening but Iím getting apprehensive about this, having never used an outdoor oven before (aside from an Ooni). Iíve had great results using a conventional oven and pizza steel at home but feel like this is an entirely different ball game (I might be wrong). Basically, I want to make the process as enjoyable as possible and any guidance for front-loading stress/being prepared is most welcome.

**I guess you could call this a pizza party and Iím sure there have been posts like this before which I could be directed to**

Many thanks in advance

Matt
Shop Talk / Re: Logo
« Last post by hammettjr on Today at 05:56:16 AM »
Dunno if this would work, but what about:

Move the word "Pizza" to go across the center of the inner circle, basically dividing he circle into 2 halves.

Top half of the circle has the hand twirling dough. Bottom half has one peel horizontally.

Then slide the word "Hilda's" over so it's the center of the arch.

Edit: I had missed the entire page of comments, but after seeing it, I 100% agree about paying a professional. What they could do in 5 minutes will likely far surpass a bunch of random ideas from Pizza folks on the internet. That said, below is my entry  :-D

Off-Topic Foods / Re: Pasta Carbonara- A new rabbit hole
« Last post by Jackitup on Today at 03:13:48 AM »
I bet she could beat MOST of us arm wrestling!!!💪
General Pizza Making / Re: Do you over ferment?
« Last post by Swinger-mike on Today at 03:09:51 AM »
So Mike, you feel the point is very subjective. By that definition, tonight's bake was not on point. It was like fairly dense and ate heavy. Flavor was good but not in love. Opened and handled very nicely. But photos quite misleading; looks airy and open. The ferment and proof went pretty far..too far? Craig, what would your call be? Blend of 47% PPower Flour, 43 Graincraft NP 00, 10 Bob's Red Mill Ww. 5% moby,, 3 oil, 2.7 salt 70 HR. 3 and 3:30 bakes.
Can't be sure if it's a flour blend issue or being over..or also the SD ?

To me judging by the looks of this dougball its overfermented, but it is indeed subjective.

pizza looks good though.
« Last post by Jersey Pie Boy on Today at 01:45:05 AM »
I used to late ball, but just as you noted, the dough suffered..many thin areas. An issue resolved by balling sooner
« Last post by Yael on Today at 01:26:42 AM »
Any idea how much the ball has expanded at that point? And how long time in balls vs total time?
[...]

During this pizza class I mentioned in your old thread, there was my Italian friend and pizza instructor Ermanno Furlanis who was saying "the pizzaiolo needs to take some risks" while talking about when using the dough. "Most of them don't want to take risks", he said.

I very seldom use individual container, I use plastic dough tray/box, so I don't how's the dough under, but it somewhere between 2 and 3 times the original size.

Thing is, in order to know when to ball, there are many factors to take into consideration:
- hydration
- flour strength
- room temperature
- mixing technique

And from my experience:
- higher hydration = later balling;
- higher flour strength = sooner balling;
- higher RT = sooner balling;
- longer mixing (what we call in French "intensive" mixing, I'm not sure about the equivalent in English, it basically means a long high-speed kneading) = sooner balling.

Then you have to juggle between all these factors in order to reach the best result.

On the face of it, a later balling seems safer than a sooner one because the dough kind of get a second life, but, in addition to the low level of sugar remaining in the dough that a late balling can lead to, once the dough already fermented for a while the gluten network starts to be very obvious, very present, and this kind of late balling may yield an uneven dough ball, with a lot of "nerves", that can be problematic for the dough opening.

Hope you guys get my meaning  :-D
« Last post by Loarina Vega on Today at 01:06:01 AM »
I Feel Like My Sweet Spot is 44-53 hrs.  CF at 40 į   24 hrs After that it seems to collapse to the point of no return .....i often wonder if that Flatbread kind of bake That ChicagoPizza n Grinder Co.... is made from their Overproofed Blown out dough ...I toss it.... but thinking to try it  🤔
Off-Topic Foods / Re: Pasta Carbonara- A new rabbit hole
« Last post by Quebert on Today at 12:44:40 AM »
I figure you would appreciate this one!

https://www.facebook.com/reel/287000343634688?fs=e&s=cl

INSANE skills, if I tried that there would be 37 eggs on the floor. I struggle using 3 or 4 eggs in a well and always end up with it busting open and egg running all over the counter.  That entire video would have to be CGI FX's if it was me doing it lol.
« Last post by Jersey Pie Boy on Today at 12:27:11 AM »
So Mike, you feel the point is very subjective. By that definition, tonight's bake was not on point. It was like fairly dense and ate heavy. Flavor was good but not in love. Opened and handled very nicely. But photos quite misleading; looks airy and open. The ferment and proof went pretty far..too far? Craig, what would your call be? Blend of 47% PPower Flour, 43 Graincraft NP 00, 10 Bob's Red Mill Ww. 5% moby,, 3 oil, 2.7 salt 70 HR. 3 and 3:30 bakes.
Can't be sure if it's a flour blend issue or being over..or also the SD ?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20