A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]
Sicilian Style / Re: Avoiding large air pockets forming under the dough
« Last post by jsobolew on June 25, 2022, 09:44:56 PM »
Yesterday I baked 6 pizzas with Spectrum brand vegetable shortening in my Lloydís pans. I didnít measure but I probably used about a tablespoon per 12x18 pan. It really did help the dough keep its shape and not shrink back while proofing in the pan. I also added some olive oil around the edges before baking. They were some of the best baked Iíve done in this style and I did not have this same problem again. I sold them all by the slice to my pop-up customers and they were gone in 2 hours. I canít say whether or not it was the shortening or the longer pan proof or a combination of both. I didnít do a control with just olive oil. Also my dough has been doing really well with the warmer weather recently. Anyhow, I plan to continue with the shortening.
General Pizza Making / Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Last post by RHawthorne on June 25, 2022, 09:43:58 PM »
Well bugger me, the boffinatin' has spilled over into the daily picture thread. :-D
Yeah, it is probably time to take this discussion to a different thread. Anyone can start one any time.
Pizza Ovens / Re: Consolidated Halo Topic
« Last post by andrea85 on June 25, 2022, 09:36:33 PM »
New attempt and definitely an improved dough this time. However I am struggling to get the biscotto to reach the temperatures that others got. You get at best 700 in the center. As a result even at 5 min bake I donít get a good browning of my bottom and cornicione, and if I go longer I burn the top. My stone may be a tad thinner than Mikeís since they didnít have the 1.5íí available, but that shouldnít be the culprit. Ideas?
Pizza Ovens / Re: Cob oven?
« Last post by wotavidone on June 25, 2022, 09:07:04 PM »
Perhaps we should just do this. :o

Pizza Ovens / Re: DIY Oven carts
« Last post by scooter on June 25, 2022, 07:40:45 PM »
Well the ss cart it is built on provides all the structural stability. The fence slats are purely cosmetic. I do have to go carefully over the patio joints. I would have used bigger wheels but I couldn't find anything bigger than 5". Initially I wanted to build a cart with large 15" rear cart wheels but the design proved to difficult for me to build
Pizza Ovens / Re: DIY Oven carts
« Last post by wotavidone on June 25, 2022, 07:36:36 PM »
Mate, would you consider those old fence slabs to be in good structural condition?
I ask because cross bracing proved absolutely necessary on my stand.
It wasn't the weight of the oven so much, though that is substantial, but rather the dynamic forces when the wheels were hitting the joins in my patio concrete slab.
If the timbers you used are good, then they are doing the bracing fine. Other wise consider some diagonal bracing inside.

P.S. looks really nice.
I've had plenty of pizza I deemed mediocre stuff your face at a football game greasy floppy disasters ( granted they would be what you'd expect from small town backwoods pizza)
Small town backwoods usually equates to good or even outstanding pizza here in South Oz.
One of the best bar snack pizzas I ever had was in Bute, South Australia. Population 268.

The publican was slinging pizzas into an electric oven on the bar. He said he was getting them par baked from the bakery at Port Broughton. Population 1034.

I had a memorable pizza in Yongala South Australia that I am still trying to replicate. Population 240.

Wallaroo has a population of 4000. Coopers Tavern has a full on wood fired Italian oven in the middle of the dining room, and a pizzaiola knocking out outstanding pizzas.

Wallaroo and Port Broughton are tourist towns I guess, but Bute is a little country town, and Yongala is middle of nowhere, welcome to the Outback.
Dough Clinic / Re: Substitute for All Trumps Bleached & Bromated
« Last post by RHawthorne on June 25, 2022, 06:59:58 PM »
Could you share your recipe for the Bob's RM Artisan? I'm also trying that. I have some of the Di Prim'Ordine and was not particularly impressed. I'm new here and don't know the protocol on sharing ingredients but I be happy to share some if you'd like.
I've used several different approaches with that flour. Lately, I've been returning my old methods I used to use in the past, where I mix it 50/50 with Italian "0" or "00" and knead the dough in the food processor, 58%-60% hydration, a few hours at RT, then a couple of days in the fridge. That method gets reliably good results. I've also done recipes with a poolish at 25% for 18 to 24 hours at RT, then mixing in the secondary ingredients (66% to 68% hydration) and throwing it straight in the fridge for 3 days. That method has probably gotten my best results, but I'm trying to work on cutting my fermentation time down a little bit.
General Pizza Making / Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Last post by wotavidone on June 25, 2022, 06:52:06 PM »
Well bugger me, the boffinatin' has spilled over into the daily picture thread. :-D
Shop Talk / Re: A snippet from our shop
« Last post by waltertore on June 25, 2022, 06:44:55 PM »
I take it Rafael is a regular?

Yes he is 2x's a week.  He is from NYC and loves his pizza.   About 80% of our customers are once a week regulars.  I can tell who it is on the phone and what they will order by the way Judy talks with them.  We have a cool thing going. 
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]