A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pasta Carbonara- A new rabbit hole  (Read 3963 times)

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pasta YouTube Video - A new rabbit hole for me
« Reply #120 on: May 15, 2022, 01:27:46 AM »
Most dies for the AEX5 are $95. The lasagna sheet die and teflon coated ones are more.

really? NICE!  When I see a catalog that has no prices it makes me think $$$$. Well damn, outside of the initial $1,800 for the actual extruder, the dies aren't too crazy.  Looks like I need to start saving

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #121 on: May 15, 2022, 01:32:26 AM »
really? NICE!  When I see a catalog that has no prices it makes me think $$$$. Well damn, outside of the initial $1,800 for the actual extruder, the dies aren't too crazy.  Looks like I need to start saving

To clarify, that was the price in February.

Offline barryvabeach

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #122 on: May 15, 2022, 08:37:57 PM »
Last question, what would be the word on a Phillips Avance with the adapter and these imported 40 euro dies?  Looking at pastidea.com the price includes shipping to the US.  Just a guess but these aren't going to be the same as the $180 ones I'm seeing here, but would be a huge step up from the plastic ones that come with the Phillips.

I have the adapter and a few of the dies,  they are pretty nice, and shipping is incredibly quick.  They run specials pretty often - around 10% off.  I don't have the $180 ones, so can't compare, but the Pastideas ones seem fine for home use. 
Current Ovens  -  BS, Halo Versa 16
Mixers .   Electrolux ( ANK ) ,  Bosch Compact, IM-5S
Mills - Retsel, Lee .

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #123 on: May 15, 2022, 08:57:05 PM »
Last question, what would be the word on a Phillips Avance with the adapter and these imported 40 euro dies?  Looking at pastidea.com the price includes shipping to the US.  Just a guess but these aren't going to be the same as the $180 ones I'm seeing here, but would be a huge step up from the plastic ones that come with the Phillips.

I have the adapter and a few of the dies,  they are pretty nice, and shipping is incredibly quick.  They run specials pretty often - around 10% off.  I don't have the $180 ones, so can't compare, but the Pastideas ones seem fine for home use.
Pastidea has 10% off today.   I ordered some a few weeks ago and had them in 3 or 4 days
Deb

Offline barryvabeach

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #124 on: May 17, 2022, 08:33:15 PM »
Deb,  would you agree that the dies are much nicer than the stock dies?  I found that the pasta was way too thick with the stock dies.   I don't know anything about the commercial dies, but assume they will handle a much larger volume in a shorter time.  Using the Pastaideas dies, I have to run a number of cycles to extrude all the dough.
Current Ovens  -  BS, Halo Versa 16
Mixers .   Electrolux ( ANK ) ,  Bosch Compact, IM-5S
Mills - Retsel, Lee .

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Pasta Carbonara - A new rabbit hole
« Reply #125 on: May 17, 2022, 08:59:25 PM »
I'm hoping to make Alex's carbonara recipe tomorrow using the guanciale I just finished curing. I extruded bucatini today and thought I'd share a close-up photo of it alongside some bronze-extruded bucatini made by Setaro, my favorite commercial brand. Obviously, the size is different - Arcobaleno makes 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, and 6mm. I have the 6mm. Most notable is the surface texture. I wonder whether Alex is going to continue the series with extruding his own pasta.

Full report tomorrow if my schedule remains open.

Top: Arcobaleno
Bottom: Setaro

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pasta Carbonara- A new rabbit hole
« Reply #126 on: May 17, 2022, 09:45:22 PM »
LOVE the texture on that!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #127 on: May 18, 2022, 07:12:11 AM »
Deb,  would you agree that the dies are much nicer than the stock dies?  I found that the pasta was way too thick with the stock dies.   I don't know anything about the commercial dies, but assume they will handle a much larger volume in a shorter time.  Using the Pastaideas dies, I have to run a number of cycles to extrude all the dough.

I have only had my machine for a few weeks and used it once so far.  After watching the facebook group that you told me about I decided to buy bronze dies at the same time and haven't even thought about using the stock ones.  I bought the Philips Viva over the Avance because the main difference seemed the size, since I am mostly cooking for two it seemed like it would be fine.  I figured, if I decided to upgrade my machine, the bronze dies made sense since they are able to used with several other machines with an adapter. 
Deb

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pasta Carbonara - A new rabbit hole
« Reply #128 on: May 18, 2022, 07:13:33 AM »
I'm hoping to make Alex's carbonara recipe tomorrow using the guanciale I just finished curing. I extruded bucatini today and thought I'd share a close-up photo of it alongside some bronze-extruded bucatini made by Setaro, my favorite commercial brand. Obviously, the size is different - Arcobaleno makes 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, and 6mm. I have the 6mm. Most notable is the surface texture. I wonder whether Alex is going to continue the series with extruding his own pasta.

Full report tomorrow if my schedule remains open.

Top: Arcobaleno
Bottom: Setaro

very cool, can't wait to see your carbonara
Deb

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #129 on: May 18, 2022, 03:37:56 PM »
Came out better than it looks. Definitely need work on my plating skills. Guanciale and bucatini were perfect. Sauce needs work. Order of operations needs a lot of practice so that pasta and sauce are done about the same time. The pasta was no longer hot and the sauce too thick by the time I took my first bite.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #130 on: May 18, 2022, 09:06:14 PM »
I figure you would appreciate this one!

https://www.facebook.com/reel/287000343634688?fs=e&s=cl
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #131 on: May 19, 2022, 11:29:20 PM »
LOVE the texture on that!!!

This times x10 I would love to extrude my own pasta like that. I know nothing about it though. :'(
I buy thick and hearty, seems to be the best store bought dried pasta. The elbow macaroni is great.

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #132 on: May 20, 2022, 12:44:40 AM »
I figure you would appreciate this one!

https://www.facebook.com/reel/287000343634688?fs=e&s=cl

INSANE skills, if I tried that there would be 37 eggs on the floor. I struggle using 3 or 4 eggs in a well and always end up with it busting open and egg running all over the counter.  That entire video would have to be CGI FX's if it was me doing it lol.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #133 on: May 20, 2022, 03:13:48 AM »
I bet she could beat MOST of us arm wrestling!!!💪
Jon

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #134 on: May 22, 2022, 07:07:22 AM »
The latest installment of Alex's quest in which he tries to extrude pasta:

Offline ButteredPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #135 on: May 24, 2022, 11:02:32 AM »
Awe man, he went big-guns route, I was hoping he'd find a solution for the less expensive stuff.  I have a Philips extruder, the auger isn't plastic, but it's probably my same issue with not enough pressure, in that my extrusions actually change color from yellow to white about half-way through the process. 

I went through what this french Alex did a couple years ago as far as drying - he's drying way too quick and to hot.  Needs to happen around 65F (17-18C), and humidity is also important, can't be too dry.  The folks at pastidea.com shared this with me and it helped out!  I used my fermenting fridge at that temp, took a week or so.  No splitting or drying explosions, it was great.  They also suggested I post questions to their facebook group, however, I don't do that so I'm left with talking to their support.  They have offered a few suggestions regarding my noodle color changes, but none have worked thus far.  I really don't want to buy one of those larger machines  :P

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: May 24, 2022, 11:56:31 AM »
Regarding drying: for home pasta makers, what is the benefit of drying? Is it necessary or better than leaving fresh? I don't think so. The pasta coming out of my extruder is really hot and the climate here is extremely dry. By the time I cut a strand off the die, the far end is almost entirely rigid. I simply extrude directly into a Ziploc bag and put what I'm not using right away in the fridge. I'm curious to see what Alex ends up doing.

Offline ButteredPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #137 on: May 24, 2022, 02:08:12 PM »
Benefit: I make lots of extra and I like to share.  Some of the dies can be a pain to clean, so, might as well make a bunch.  I haven't tested whether fresh or dried is better where I live, which is different from you: sea level elevation, coastal Mediterranean climate, moderate humidity.  His pasta breaks apart and shatters because he's drying it too hot and too quick (60C and 4 hours, with air).  If you want the pasta dried, you need to do so slowly, I don't know the science behind it, but it works.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #138 on: May 24, 2022, 02:36:42 PM »
Some of the dies can be a pain to clean, so, might as well make a bunch. 

I never clean the dies, per the recommendation of the manufacturer of my extruder. I keep them submerged in water in a tupperware in the fridge.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #139 on: May 24, 2022, 02:54:05 PM »
I never clean the dies, per the recommendation of the manufacturer of my extruder. I keep them submerged in water in a tupperware in the fridge.

I would think if one felt the need to cleen the dies a Waterpik would be a great choice!
Jon