A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Mobile operators storing dough  (Read 724 times)

Offline brix1

Mobile operators storing dough
« on: June 03, 2016, 11:37:34 PM »
Hello, been a lurker here for quite awhile.  I have a question regarding dough in the Southern temperatures.  How do mobile operators store dough?  When at fairs etc.  My mom tried to make bread down here once on one of her visits and had a time of it inside.  So it got me to wondering how they do it on the road.

Tia, Brix

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • In Memoriam
  • In Memoriam 12/2020
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Mobile operators storing dough
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 12:07:23 AM »
Tia;
Most small mobile operators don't have the luxury of electric or propane refrigeration so they use large ice chests. They scale and ball the dough, oil the dough balls with salad oil, place into individual plastic "food" bags, twist the open end into a pony tail and tuck under the dough ball as you place it in the cooler to cold ferment 18 to 24-hours (could be more if you want), after the cold ferment period place the dough balls into a freezer for about an hour to super cool them, then place a layer on the bottom of an ice chest, place a sheet of cardboard over the layer of dough balls, add another layer of dough balls, another sheet of cardboard and a few ounces of dry ice on the cardboard, some insulation over the dry ice and build up two more layers with more dry ice on the very top, close the chest and you're good to go. At the event, transfer bagged dough balls to a plastic dough box to warm up to 50F, then begin opening into skins as you need them. The dough balls in the dough box will be good to use for 2 to 3-hours once they reach 50F. To use the bagged dough just invert the dough ball while stripping the bag over the dough ball (bag will normally invert as the dough ball drops out). Let the dough ball drop into a bowl of flour and begin opening by your preferred method.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress