A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Apollonia's in LA  (Read 516 times)

Offline fiveanddime

• I Love Pizza!
Apollonia's in LA
« on: April 06, 2021, 10:50:29 AM »
I'm obsessed with the square pies that Justin DeLeon is making at Apollonia's in LA. I've been experimenting for a long time to try and my crumb to look like his and i always fall flat. Does anyone have any idea how he creates such a wide open crumb? On a pizzaquest video with Reinhart he says they parbake and use a preferment with a little spike of commercial yeast. His instagram is amazing and makes everyone drool.
Obviously the cheese crown is a thing of wonder but currently I'd be happy with getting an open crumb structure like his.

Does anyone have any ideas??

https://www.instagram.com/apolloniaspizza/

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Apollonia's in LA
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 03:07:50 PM »
Lots of water!   Check out teglia threads, good luck

Offline fiveanddime

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 08:13:59 PM »
Thanks Scott but he does says he's around 70% hydration so it's definitely not super high hydration. I've done up to 80% and have never had those results.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 09:10:07 PM »
Steam injection? Years ago I asked a local baker how they got that overly airy crumb and he told me it was the steam oven.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 09:20:01 PM »
around 70 means not 70 or he would have just said 70 lol (pizzeria owners are notoriously tricky).     I was originally going to say lots of water and high heat too.   I consider 75 percent to be lots of water.   This is absolutely achievable at that point.  Also, some flours will peform like this better than others in the low 70's.   

Offline fiveanddime

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 03:10:49 PM »
There was just a video released with Noel of Slowrise pizza where he interviews Justin of Apollonia's. In that video Justin said he's at 75-78% hydration. So my apologies to Scott R. Other times he has said "around 70" but Justin is notoriously deceptive. He uses 100% KAF high gluten with a starter and a "pinch" of yeast and his Montague ovens are at 550.

I'm hoping the oven temp is where I'm lacking. I hope to test it out in a real pizza oven one day!

Offline psedillo

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 03:16:14 PM »
There was just a video released with Noel of Slowrise pizza where he interviews Justin of Apollonia's. In that video Justin said he's at 75-78% hydration. So my apologies to Scott R. Other times he has said "around 70" but Justin is notoriously deceptive. He uses 100% KAF high gluten with a starter and a "pinch" of yeast and his Montague ovens are at 550.

I'm hoping the oven temp is where I'm lacking. I hope to test it out in a real pizza oven one day!

It's an excellent interview, I posted the link here:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=69167.msg667203#msg667203
Paul

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 03:20:32 PM »
I watched that live in 2020, Justin gives little to no real helpful info. Some operators share, some don't, it's all good.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 03:49:23 PM »
I watched that live in 2020, Justin gives little to no real helpful info. Some operators share, some don't, it's all good.
The one takeaway I got was that pizza makers should stick to traditional white tee shirts.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 10:49:03 PM »

No worries!   Temp and thermal mass of pro ovens help.  They can continue to dump heat in to a pie with their thicker stones better than most home setups.