A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Yeast to starter conversion  (Read 603 times)

Offline gdepozsgay

• I Love Pizza!
Yeast to starter conversion
« on: April 12, 2021, 11:48:13 AM »
What is the correct conversion of one gram IDY; ADY; and fresh yeast? My 100% biga recipe calls for 2 g. of fresh yeast. I'm using 8.67 g. of starter, instead. My neo. pizza dough appears to have gone south and I'm wondering if my starter quantity (quality is good) is the problem.
George

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
Re: Yeast to starter conversion
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 12:20:31 PM »
I found this chart, but it doesn't look like it has the exact amounts you are looking for.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 12:24:00 PM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline gdepozsgay

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 01:25:07 PM »
Thanks. Its a start anyway.
George

Offline loch

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 01:30:17 PM »
I'm basing this on Hamelman's "Bread" conversion information. Basically, to convert from fresh yeast to dry yeast it's 1 oz of fresh yeast equals .4 oz of dry. For instant dry yeast it's 1 oz of fresh yeast equals .33 oz of IDY.

So if you are using IDY you can divide by 3. So 2g / 3 = .66666g. See if that works for you, I think that's the correct math.

Dave
"As long as when she takes me out she buys me pizza and beer!"

Offline gdepozsgay

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 02:10:34 PM »
Thanks Dave but I'm looking to convert from baker's yeast to starter. I think there is a conversion table for IDY/ADY to starter but I have not been able to locate it. That's where I came up with the amount I'm using now. I just wonder if I misread or calculated.
George

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 02:15:21 PM »
What is the correct conversion of one gram IDY; ADY; and fresh yeast? My 100% biga recipe calls for 2 g. of fresh yeast. I'm using 8.67 g. of starter, instead. My neo. pizza dough appears to have gone south and I'm wondering if my starter quantity (quality is good) is the problem.

It appears you are asking about making a biga with your starter instead of a commercial yeast (Fresh, IDY or ADY) and all the responses you've received are converting various commercial yeasts to another form commercial yeast. 

If you want to use just a starter, instead of commercial yeast, for the biga maybe Craig's Sourdough Stater Model would be a good place to start. Here:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=22649.0

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2021, 02:21:10 PM »
............I think there is a conversion table for IDY/ADY to starter but I have not been able to locate it.

I don't think there is a direct conversion for IDY/ADY to starter. Your best bet is the link I showed above. Maybe use Craig's model to determine the amount of starter needed based on time/temp(based on your entire process) and include it all in the biga?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2021, 03:39:34 PM »
gdepozsgay,

The conversion issue you have raised comes up about once in a blue moon, but it has been addressed from time to time. You might want to check out the posts and links included in the thread at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=11808.msg109628#msg109628

Peter

Offline gdepozsgay

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2021, 05:32:09 PM »
gdepozsgay,

The conversion issue you have raised comes up about once in a blue moon, but it has been addressed from time to time. You might want to check out the posts and links included in the thread at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=11808.msg109628#msg109628

Peter
So, going by the 5% of total water formula I should have used 20 g. of starter and not the 8.67 I did use. that tells me why my dough did not rise after 20 hrs. of ref. ferment + 24 hr. room temp (72 deg.)
George

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2021, 08:22:08 PM »
So, going by the 5% of total water formula I should have used 20 g. of starter and not the 8.67 I did use. that tells me why my dough did not rise after 20 hrs. of ref. ferment + 24 hr. room temp (72 deg.)

You shouldn't base your amount of stater on some rule of thumb like 5% of total water. Use Craig's model I referenced above. It is based on time/temp. Like the Hokey Pokey, that's what it's all about.

I'll butt out now. Good luck.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 09:32:30 PM by parallei »

Offline gdepozsgay

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 08:06:42 AM »
Thanks for all the advice.
George

wordpress