A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Questions about oil/butter and hydration value  (Read 136 times)

Offline schibetta

• I Love Pizza!
Questions about oil/butter and hydration value
« on: April 18, 2021, 12:56:18 PM »
hi,

I recently tried butter instead of oil in my dough formulation.

I used the same percentage of butter as the oil (4%) adding 20% more butter (20% of the 4%) given butter is 20% water

I think my crust was a bit drier , and I know that sometimes we count oil as part of the hydration value so maybe using butter instead of oil (while keeping the others values inchanged) could result in a drier finished crust.

What do you think about this ?

I want to get a softer crust next time, if I keep the butter can I increase my percentage of water to get more softness in my crust ?

thanks

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
Re: Questions about oil/butter and hydration value
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 09:43:00 PM »
Salut,

As we often include oil in the hydration percent in France I once asked Tom about it, his reply was roughly that oil and water have different impacts on the dough/crust so they shouldn't be counted together, although it could be understandable as oil is also a liquid. But since then I've been counting them separately.

I don't know if your trouble is because of the butter. Above 30°C, butter melts and is merely any oil. Are you sure you didn't change any other factor? Are you sure baking time were exactly the same?
I know that the more I make tests, the more I understand differences can come from something I didn't expect  :-D
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress