A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Any tips for a 5-6 hr NY style dough? (Ive seen the emergency dough post)  (Read 448 times)

Offline umirza

• I Love Pizza!
Wondering if anyone is able to assist with a 5-6hr NY style dough, I've not been able to get them ready due to work yesterday.

I've seen the emergency dough post but those seem to be around 1-3 hrs and I can afford double that at the moment.
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8297.msg71576.html#msg49940

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Any tips for a 5-6 hr NY style dough? (Ive seen the emergency dough post)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 09:11:21 AM »
You could probably get away with following the formula as is, or use the fridge to slow the fermentation for a period time if the dough starts to overblow, which I don't think would be a problem anyway. 

The way I would approach this would be to measure everything as accurately as possible, especially the yeast amount, the final dough temperature, the storage temperature and the fermentation time, so that you have a point of reference for future bakes.  I also wouldn't go crazy over-mixing the dough and rounding the dough pieces to death, which would result in an overly-elastic gluten network that will make stretching the dough very difficult.

Rolls
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 09:17:59 AM by Rolls »
Parmigiano-Reggiano doesn't come in a green box!   - Chef Jean-Pierre

Offline umirza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 09:56:22 AM »
You could probably get away with following the formula as is, or use the fridge to slow the fermentation for a period time if the dough starts to overblow, which I don't think would be a problem anyway. 

The way I would approach this would be to measure everything as accurately as possible, especially the yeast amount, the final dough temperature, the storage temperature and the fermentation time, so that you have a point of reference for future bakes.  I also wouldn't go crazy over-mixing the dough and rounding the dough pieces to death, which would result in an overly-elastic gluten network that will make stretching the dough very difficult.

Rolls

Thanks for the tips, and great point using this as a reference for the future. I went with my regular formula but slightly upped the yeast and just didn't put it in the fridge. Let's hope I get some usable doughs for tonight. Also thanks for the tip around not over mixing or rounding....I tend to go overboard there sometimes.

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 10:47:28 AM »
^^  You're welcome.  I forgot to mention that it's probably best to skip any bulk fermentation and instead form the dough balls right after mixing, so that they'll have the maximum time to relax before stretching.  Let us know how it all works out.

Rolls
Parmigiano-Reggiano doesn't come in a green box!   - Chef Jean-Pierre

Offline umirza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2021, 11:44:20 AM »
^^  You're welcome.  I forgot to mention that it's probably best to skip any bulk fermentation and instead form the dough balls right after mixing, so that they'll have the maximum time to relax before stretching.  Let us know how it all works out.

Rolls

Ah yes, i definitely skipped the bulk fermentation part on account of only having around 5hrs left for it to rise. thanks again! Im looking forward to trying it out.

Offline drainaps

• Good pizza makes the world a happier place
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2021, 12:35:54 PM »
I sincerely don't think 5 hours will be substantially better /different from 3 hours for a straight dough except for the % of yeast.

PizzApp calculates a 5-hour 60% hydration straight dough (3% salt, 6 balls @ 250gr, 23 Celsius RT) as follows:

Flour 920 gr
Water 552 gr
Salt 28 gr
Instant dry yeast 2.8 gr

I'd ball straight after mixing. Needless to say that adequate temperature control is important in a straight dough if you don't want to end up with a mess.

I'm aware this post might come in late in your case but I hope it will help the next soul in search of a quick straight dough.

Offline Gene in Acadiana

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2021, 03:13:42 PM »
It's probably best to keep a couple balls of properly fermented dough frozen for those emergency situations rather than making it a few hours prior. Just like everything else, best to have a plan for emergencies!

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2021, 09:32:58 PM »
What is your normal recipe?? I am pretty sure we could make you something that would work by modyifying your existing recipe.  :D

wordpress