A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Cold Ferment help  (Read 615 times)

Offline mrs1986

• I Love Pizza!
Cold Ferment help
« on: December 03, 2021, 09:41:00 AM »
Hi all!

It's been a while, this year has been quite a ride for me, the pizza game has been slow, and the times I made some pizzas where not what I wanted... Soo, this weekend we are going to celebrate my girlfriends birthday and our upcoming baby (Facundo  ;D) and I decided to make some pizzas.

I made everything the same as always do only thing is I decided to CF them because is something that I usually don't do, the thing is, I used this app PizzApp and it did all the calculations for me, how great is that, the plan was to cook friday night and prepared the dough balls on wednesday evening, as I read a lot about over proofing because how long does it takes to get to temp on the fridge I decided to use cold water :( with my dough, this is the recipe:

-2150grs 00 flour
-58% water from the fridge
-3% salt
-3~4grs IDY (my scale is not that precise so is around that)

Ok, so after 38hours in the fridge now, the dough balls didn't rise anything, like no nothing... I was planning at first on baking friday night but I prefer to cook on saturday evening so what do you guys think?
Will it rise? Or I need to let it out in the room temperature from now on in order to it to grow because I used too little yeast? Is the yeast dead :(

I'm kinda sad :'( because I don't bake as much as I would like and I can't seem to adjust my yeast amounts right...

Offline kori

• Supporting Member
  • Let's make pizza today!
Re: Cold Ferment help
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 11:22:44 AM »
First thing you could do is if you have any yeast left you could test it to see if it's still good or not.

If you put the dough into the fridge immediately after it was mixed (no RT fermentation) with the combination of cold water from the fridge (39-43F) I don't think you'd see a rise, that's a pretty low percentage of yeast (0.13-0.18%).

If the yeast is good then the dough should still be good, I would think getting it on the counter for a long RT fermentation should get it to where you want, hopefully someone will chime in with more knowledge then me to help you out further.
I SMILE AND WAVE....

Offline mrs1986

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 12:00:05 PM »
First thing you could do is if you have any yeast left you could test it to see if it's still good or not.

If you put the dough into the fridge immediately after it was mixed (no RT fermentation) with the combination of cold water from the fridge (39-43F) I don't think you'd see a rise, that's a pretty low percentage of yeast (0.13-0.18%).

If the yeast is good then the dough should still be good, I would think getting it on the counter for a long RT fermentation should get it to where you want, hopefully someone will chime in with more knowledge then me to help you out further.
Thanks, I have some yeast left, I will test it, but it was a brand new package (11grz) I buy one each time I make pizza, because it happened to me before that the yeast was no longer good when I used it...

I will take it out of the fridge, I'm so exited to make some pizzas haha, I don't want to stretch disks with a hammer  :-D

Edit: The yeast is fine
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 04:12:05 PM by mrs1986 »

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 04:14:33 PM »
Thanks, I have some yeast left, I will test it, but it was a brand new package (11grz) I buy one each time I make pizza, because it happened to me before that the yeast was no longer good when I used it...

I will take it out of the fridge, I'm so exited to make some pizzas haha, I don't want to stretch disks with a hammer  :-D

Edit: The yeast is fine
I buy instant dry yeast in a 1 pound block for a few dollars.  I transfer it to a small mason jar that I keep in the freezer and it has been fine for over a year.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 04:29:49 PM »
I buy instant dry yeast in a 1 pound block for a few dollars.  I transfer it to a small mason jar that I keep in the freezer and it has been fine for over a year.

Ditto, I keep my IDY in freezer as well,  dried sourdough starter too.  Lasts a long time there,
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline mrs1986

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 07:15:11 AM »
Thanks for the answers!
I did tried the IDY in freezer thing, but I had had so many misses with IDY that I prefer to buy a new small package every time and make sure the pizzas are going to be fine.
BTW, pizzas came out great! but they were 38hs on the fridge and 34~36hs at room temp, I even got them outside because the day got kinda cold even it's almost summer in here, but great result!