A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizzeria Luigi in San Diego, CA  (Read 227009 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
Re: Pizzeria Luigi in San Diego, CA
« Reply #720 on: November 16, 2013, 08:02:22 PM »
Norma, did you take that picture? Did you go to San Diego for vacation and stop in to Luigi's?

James,

No, I did not go to Pizzeria Luigi and take that photo.  I copied that photo off of Pizzeria Luigi facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/pizzerialuigi

Norma

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #721 on: November 17, 2013, 11:47:25 AM »
James,

No, I did not go to Pizzeria Luigi and take that photo.  I copied that photo off of Pizzeria Luigi facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/pizzerialuigi

Norma

I see. I should visit their FB page but have not in a long time. Great pic. Thanks for posting.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #722 on: August 29, 2021, 11:58:51 PM »
I know this is a very old discussion but I went to San Diego today and went to Pizzeria Luigi. 

Now that I have been making pizza for over a decade and better at it I can tell you that I think that the hydration for pizza here is under 60.  I am thinking it's about 58, maybe even 57 but I would say 57 lowest, 58 tops. 

I got a Crime Scenes which is meatball, marinara sauce, and ricotta.  Two pepperoni and sausage, and a plain cheese.  I tell you that sometimes a plain cheese is better than ones with toppings.  Streamline it and just have cheese.  Basic and simple but if the pie is good then being plain showcases it.

Offline tntpizzasd

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #723 on: September 01, 2021, 11:53:15 AM »
I worked at Pizzeria Luigi from 2004 until this year; was the GM of all locations. 58% hydration, Pendleton power flour, 1.87% salt. 1/3 amount sugar to salt. No oil. Kind of a Joe's recipe with less sugar.

When it's on, its definitely one of the best in town.  I used to go to New York and and leave hungry for Luigis (this is before places like scarrs, best pizza, le industrie ect started popping up).  The problem is maintaining consistency with 20+ pizza makers making pizza at 4 different locations, tons of different people making the dough, ect. The current labor market hasn't helped the situation.

I left earlier this year to open my own place with a partner that will have sourdough Detroit, "Nu-York" style, and bar pies.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #724 on: September 01, 2021, 12:18:27 PM »
I worked at Pizzeria Luigi from 2004 until this year; was the GM of all locations. 58% hydration, Pendleton power flour, 1.87% salt. 1/3 amount sugar to salt. No oil. Kind of a Joe's recipe with less sugar.

When it's on, its definitely one of the best in town.  I used to go to New York and and leave hungry for Luigis (this is before places like scarrs, best pizza, le industrie ect started popping up).  The problem is maintaining consistency with 20+ pizza makers making pizza at 4 different locations, tons of different people making the dough, ect. The current labor market hasn't helped the situation.

I left earlier this year to open my own place with a partner that will have sourdough Detroit, "Nu-York" style, and bar pies.

Great info and good luck!

Given I'm a bit of a sauce guy, anything interesting about the sauce?

Matt

Offline tntpizzasd

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #725 on: September 01, 2021, 12:27:36 PM »
Great info and good luck!

Given I'm a bit of a sauce guy, anything interesting about the sauce?

Thanks! Can't give away his whole recipe, but 5 total cans, all Stanislaus product, one being an extra heavy puree. Thinned out with about a can of water. Pretty hefty doses of granulated garlic and parmesan.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #726 on: September 01, 2021, 10:47:39 PM »

Thank you very much for chiming in and breaking down the dough.  Glad I was right Luigi was 58% hydration.  I'm glad just because it means my pizza skills have improved over the years. Cool on 1.87% salt  because whenever I make dough even if I alter the hydration or use oil or don't use oil I use always 1.80% salt, close to Luigi.  I don't use sugar but I know Luigi does so I actually made a dough with .7% which would be close according to what you  say, so I am on track.  I used to not use oil but I do now, 1% because it makes for a better reheat slice the next day. 

Love Luigi's.  I don't go there much since I live in LA.  But when I get a chance I go!

Funny I never seen Luigi at his restaurant ever.  Of course I only been about 5 times over 10 years and he has multiple locations. 

I hear The Bronx is great but when in SD I can't go anywhere but Luigi since I love it so much.

Is your new place in SD?  If so please tell the name because next time in SD I wanna try your pizza.  I'll pry myself away from Luigi for a moment and try yours!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 11:02:55 PM by PizzaEater101 »

Offline tntpizzasd

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #727 on: September 02, 2021, 12:46:18 AM »

I hear The Bronx is great but when in SD I can't go anywhere but Luigi since I love it so much.

Is your new place in SD?  If so please tell the name because next time in SD I wanna try your pizza.  I'll pry myself away from Luigi for a moment and try yours!

Bronx is really good! Similar to Luigi's. Up around La Jolla there's a place right off of the 5 freeway called Regents Pizza; IMO opinion those 3 hold the top NY spots in town.

Our place is called TNT pizza and is on the corner of 14th and Market in downtown San Diego. We are shooting to open the first week of October. Would love to have ya in!

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #728 on: September 02, 2021, 10:46:28 AM »

Offline woodfiredandrew

• follow your passion!
« Reply #729 on: September 02, 2021, 03:58:24 PM »
where is it in San Diego? little Italy around that area? i lived in SD for couple of decades in my previous life and i dont remember it.   
People are unreasonable, illogical and self-centered, love them anyway. If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives, do good anyway. Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable, Be honest and frank anyway. If you are successful , you will win false friends and true enemies, succeed anyway.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #730 on: September 02, 2021, 08:28:50 PM »
where is it in San Diego? little Italy around that area? i lived in SD for couple of decades in my previous life and i dont remember it.

When I first went I think they had two locations but the guy who posted who managed them said there are four now.  I went to the first two.  The red building in a place called Golden Hill. Maybe near the zoo.  That one is my fave of the two I went to. The other one I don't know.  But none were near Little Italy.

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #731 on: September 02, 2021, 10:23:15 PM »
Bronx is really good! Similar to Luigi's. Up around La Jolla there's a place right off of the 5 freeway called Regents Pizza; IMO opinion those 3 hold the top NY spots in town.

Our place is called TNT pizza and is on the corner of 14th and Market in downtown San Diego. We are shooting to open the first week of October. Would love to have ya in!
I be doing an 8 day fishing trip leaving out of fishermans landing on October 17th.  But I'll be getting to San Diego early the 16th.  After checking into the hotel if you're open I'll come by for an early dinner

Looks like it's a 15 minute drive from the landing

Jerry

Offline woodfiredandrew

• follow your passion!
« Reply #732 on: September 07, 2021, 10:53:24 AM »
Good Luck TNT , make a dynamite pizza  ;D :drool:
People are unreasonable, illogical and self-centered, love them anyway. If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives, do good anyway. Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable, Be honest and frank anyway. If you are successful , you will win false friends and true enemies, succeed anyway.

Offline tntpizzasd

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #733 on: September 09, 2021, 12:11:58 AM »
Good Luck TNT , make a dynamite pizza  ;D :drool:

Good test rounds this week!

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #734 on: September 09, 2021, 12:21:03 AM »
Nice.  Keep us updated on opening day.  I'm going to try to be there oct 16

Jerry

Offline arabpizzalover

« Reply #735 on: July 20, 2022, 08:49:42 AM »

I checked out the Yelp page for TNT Pizza. All I can say is I wish I lived in San Diego to try it out. 5 stars on Yelp is extremely impressive and the pics of the pizza were impressive as well. Another reason why I wish I lived out there because the El Cajon area has amazing middle eastern food. Unfortunately NorCal (Roseville) has terrible pizza and the best Pizza out there are the ones that I make at home lol.  I hope your business thrives.

Offline tntpizzasd

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #736 on: August 01, 2022, 01:51:28 AM »
I checked out the Yelp page for TNT Pizza. All I can say is I wish I lived in San Diego to try it out. 5 stars on Yelp is extremely impressive and the pics of the pizza were impressive as well. Another reason why I wish I lived out there because the El Cajon area has amazing middle eastern food. Unfortunately NorCal (Roseville) has terrible pizza and the best Pizza out there are the ones that I make at home lol.  I hope your business thrives.

Thank you! 9 months in and still working out processes, our standard menu is pretty solidified but will be looking to add some offerings in the winter when we have more time to experiment. Really want to do bar pies as they turn out great, just hard to fit it in the mix.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #737 on: September 23, 2022, 12:35:05 AM »
Been following post, being from Boston and living in San Southern Cal for past 27 years first touch on Luigi's seeing the show on DDD. My wife and I went to give it a try,,, seeing nothing I have found has come close in Southern Cal to NYP...
First impression walking in,,, Place was not clean, it was a Sunday @ approx 1pm only 2 other people in place.
2 people working behind counter, working area behind counter again not clean,floor, working table,, boxes on it dough box next to it,, rags spread out. Pie's in display case trying to remember at least 6 or 7 to me all dried out, been sitting for awhile not appetizing at all. Per usual order Cheese. Bake time not timed,, but around 9 minutes from time they started on it to finish.. Wife's first impression she is originally from San Diego. She likes crispy but little moist throughout,,, her  thoughts,, crust very dry, up-shirt dry not that much flavor.. My impression  Crust very crispy rim very small and dry,,, up-skirt dry no flavor, try to fold just breaks in middle. To satisfy my curiosity I order a slice from display,, white pie ricotta,,, cheese very dry dough very dried out,,, seems as the pies where already cooked and than cooked again to heat up. Never went back...
Bronx Pizza......
We went another Sunday afternoon, around 1pm line outside of store,, waited to order about 5 minutes,,
pies in display all looking good seemed par baked, taken out few minutes before ready,except just a couple of cheese seemed to be there for a while,, strange for plain cheese, feel of back east with guy taking order and 5 guys behind him making pies,,ordered Cheese with basil.
Wife's impression, lots of cheese, flavor great,,, crust perfect,, just a little to droopy for her in center, but over all best she has had that she could remember since visiting NYC..
My impression,,, Place busy, people sitting all around in back, patio, taking out,, etc..
tables being wiped out and cleaned, actually guys who were making pies cleaning , actual time from order to receiving,, about 14 minutes.do not know bake time... Crust crisp with moist inside rim,, cheese very fresh tasting,, basil put on after pie was baked,,, just right amount of sauce, I don't care for alot wife does, perfect to fold over and eat. just a little to much salt for me,, as I do not add salt to anything so I can pick it up,, perfect for wife,,,
Overall to compare to Luigi's hand down Bronx is the winner,, again we all have different taste,
to compare the look of both pies,, you can literally see the different in just looking at both to see Bronx has that NY Pizza feel look,,, taste and atmosphere. Luigi's on scale 1-10  4 . Bronx 9.5 only thing missing is they did not shuffle the pie and yelled come it get it,, LOL... oven they use is Marsal,,,
We have gone there ever since,, always consistency with their pies, have not been there in few months just to busy lately.
I would say if there should be a clone for reverse engineering,, try Bronx.
As I said,, everyone has different taste,, this is my opinion.

I know this is a very old post but I am trying to get into making pizza again and Luigi is the perfect project for me since I started this thread and thoroughly love the place.  I never saw Luigi being dirty at all.  Everytime I have gone over the years it always was clean and neat.   Last time I went was on August 29, 2021 (I need to check my post to verify but I believe so) and I was with my girlfriend.  Both of us didn't get the impression it was messy or dirty.  The pizza was excellent as ever.  Maybe the poster went on a really bad day, but for me it always was good.  I didn't make it to SD this summer and I miss the place so definitely when I find the time I going back to SD and going to Luigi and trying the Bronx.

wordpress