A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza on Gabriola  (Read 143695 times)

Offline sk

• Belle Pizze!
Re: Pizza on Gabriola
« Reply #1840 on: August 27, 2022, 11:15:18 AM »
A new oven!  Very exciting!!
Pizza Party 70x70 WFO/Saputo Floor

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #1841 on: August 27, 2022, 11:43:42 AM »
Congratulations on your new oven! I must say, those pies looks awfully nice, especially being a first run.

Ditto!
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • Infinite Monkey Theorem at work
« Reply #1842 on: August 27, 2022, 11:51:14 AM »
Thank you so much Heine, Jon, Scott and Craig. It was pretty exciting night with out perhaps the most care and attention to the fire. Full bore is perhaps not the best way to approach a new oven experience, but that is basically what ensued. I turned on the gas and let it fly, perhaps a more cautious approach next time will see the oven thermometer not out of range . . . . Oh, and the pies a golden brown . . .

Thank you
Greg
A very patient wife! An Alfa Forni Brio for gas and wood.

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1843 on: August 27, 2022, 01:55:07 PM »
Golden brown indeed. Very pretty pies, just lovely.

Congratulations on your new oven. I guess fire season is a problem of the past.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #1844 on: August 27, 2022, 03:29:01 PM »
Full bore is perhaps not the best way to approach a new oven experience

Sure it is. There is no kill like overkill and the there is no bore like full bore! Especially with NP!  ;D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #1845 on: August 27, 2022, 03:30:39 PM »
Full bore or bust, I say!

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1846 on: August 27, 2022, 03:45:23 PM »
Thank You Arne, I searched for the setting for the picture below, but haven’t found it yet. More time will only improve we hope . .  .
Greg

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1847 on: August 27, 2022, 03:56:39 PM »
Craig, we have to wake the old guy up a bit then, he’s a bit slow at turning I think.
Greg

Offline soler

« Reply #1848 on: August 27, 2022, 04:22:47 PM »
Congratulations on your new oven!

Pizzas look fantastic! Have a lot of fan with the new set up  ;D

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1849 on: August 30, 2022, 12:15:31 PM »
Real Estate
Last night was the second bake for me in the new oven, and it struck me that I had much more room and choice of where to put the pie. I could turn it, move it closer or further away something that was not easily accomplished previously. Very nice as well was the startup . . .click!

This time I played a bit with distance from the flame, finding more of the characteristics and trying adjusting the temperature between bakes . . . It works!

A couple of good friends over so a chance to make 4! Pies in a session, the favorite was the Mortadella and Pea Pesto, it was wonderful. I am not sure why but as I look back I seem to make more white based pies than red, I will work on that.

I am still not happy with the coloring, that part seems not to have changed, missing are the golden hues I am chasing . . . Early days, lots of fun ahead.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 12:17:24 PM by Icelandr »
Greg

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1850 on: September 04, 2022, 10:17:36 AM »
Gurgle . .Gurgle . . .Pop . . .

New sounds that will strike fear in the heart of the Icelandr . .  .the sound of running out of propane just as the new pizza hits the deck! Mad panic ensued hooking up the new tank as the pizza sat in a cooling oven . . .a bit crisper, that one!

Family over so there was of course a survey as to how many and what kind of pizza should be on the list. 9 pizza was the desired amount, for 6 of us, 2 oldies, 1 teen, 1 pre-teen and 2 close to 50’s. Way off the mark! Only 6 pizza were consumed, so the planned duplicates of preferred pizza went first and the fun stuff was left for another day.

Another positive baking experience except for user error. I really like the fast heat up, the ability to modify the temperature and the amount of space for turning and modifying position during the brief bake. The errors in baking were mine, not due to the oven. Good fun! Though I have yet to find the “Golden Brown” setting, I was pleased with more consistency.

A couple of Margheritas, a plain pepperoni, an Italian sausage with mushrooms and Taleggio, missing was the favourite of the old folk, Mortadella with Pea Pesto, deemed not suitable for viewing due to “launch distortion”

Good fun, so good to have the family here
Greg

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1851 on: September 08, 2022, 04:56:06 PM »
Cool!  Leftovers!

I don’t think in the past 6 years I have ever kept a ball of dough in the freezer then thawed and make a pizza out of it! Not sure why. Today was the day. With dough left the other day I put into the fridge, it was already in the containers I am using, thinking I might try it. Today at lunch was the day. There was leftover tomatoes, Fior Di Latte, sausage, mushrooms so what the heck.
I have to say pushing the start button on the oven and having 750° F about 25 minutes later has been a huge change, for this one pizza bake I had to turn it down, then off after the only pie was cooked ~ less than 2 minutes, I don’t time.
Not particularly a prize winner, but tender dough, nice flavor and texture. I believe the cold dough could have had a bit more time in the sun as I see the small black bubbles suggesting to me cold dough.

What a hoot, quick bake leftovers!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 06:17:59 PM by Icelandr »
Greg

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #1852 on: September 12, 2022, 09:55:42 AM »
Nice!

Dough balls from the freezer works indeed like a charm. A solid excuse not to pig out! :P

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1853 on: September 12, 2022, 10:04:37 AM »
And how convenient that gas option sounds.

Time to double the weekly output it seems.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1854 on: September 12, 2022, 11:43:57 AM »
Looking at some pictures from the summer and our trip to Greece and came across some pictures of the gas oven in Cuore Rosso in Paros, a Neapolitan pizza restaurant that had to change their wood oven to gas because of the neighbors worry about fire and smoke.
Pretty sure they kept the oven from previous visits and modified it for gas. I thought of it with my recent experiences, little did I know then!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 01:18:55 PM by Icelandr »
Greg

Offline sk

• Belle Pizze!
« Reply #1855 on: September 13, 2022, 11:26:43 AM »
Will you ever go back to wood?
Pizza Party 70x70 WFO/Saputo Floor

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1856 on: September 13, 2022, 01:20:10 PM »
Hi Scott . . . .  Very soon I believe. I bought the hybrid oven so I could use both, the gas in summer and the wood when allowed. Have to say the convenience of gas is compelling but I haven’t determined the differences in crust and overall bake yet. While not recommended, I have seen video of both gas and wood being used at the same time, sounds scary!
Greg

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1857 on: September 15, 2022, 11:37:26 PM »
Seems busy times, but needed a pizza and some things to try.

Life outside of pizza sometimes gets in the way. Here, ferries (note the spelling) are often involved, this time 2 trips to a city we can easily see, but takes 5-7 hours to get to! Amongst that travel I have been building the new cart for the oven and, well, wow it took so much less time when I was younger apparently! Soon, I keep muttering!

Cast that aside and have a pizza . .  .with some embarrassment another frozen dough, it has I said, been busy!
  • A favorite look and feel from 50 Kalo and another attempt. Bechamel with Jalapeño and smoked Mozzarella, ham, spinach, mozzarella and a small explosion of chopped colored peppers, ground pepper to finish.
  • Another look at Pepe’s Ritrovata . . . I needed some cheese! 7/11 tomatoes, halved grape tomatoes, mozzarella, then chopped black olive, anchovy, olive oil and Basil post bake. Had it been fresh dough, well cooked it would have been wonderful!
Fun, a “bit” of wine and another try at the new oven!

Greg

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1858 on: September 22, 2022, 10:35:57 PM »
Not yet Pizza, but the cart for the new oven is coming along. Should be glued and painted this weekend, with pizza planned for Monday, with or without the new cart!
Greg

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1859 on: September 22, 2022, 11:42:47 PM »
Very nice!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

wordpress