Pages:
Actions
  • #581 by jkb on 05 May 2022
  • It was not par-baked. I really like this oven. When making only one, I'll probably use this oven exclusively for DS and bar pizza. The oven preheats in about five minutes and has many other functions. It can proof at 80, it works as an air fryer and dehydrator. I wish I'd bought one years ago.

8x10 in the Breville is the way to go.  Roast chicken - big mistake.
  • #582 by Santo on 05 May 2022
  • I never "stretch" my doughballs. After mixing, I let the doughball rest in the pan for about 30 minutes then press it into the pan. It take two "presses" over about 15 minutes. The first photo is after the second press, the second is after the rise. Hope that helps.

Can you please describe how you press the dough into the pan? i am using a 14x14 sicilian pan and my dough ball is 682g. it feels like i am battling with the dough at times. I try to let it relax but sometimes i let it relax so much that it overproofs i think.
  • #583 by Quebert on 05 May 2022
  • What do you guys put your pizzas in? I buy 12 & 14" boxes for my normal pizzas. I'd love to get some 10x14" boxes for the Detriot pan I'm ordering this weekend. But I'm only seeing 1 web site that sells them and it looks like they require a pretty big order. I know I could use a normal 14" box, but I'd love to have 10x14 boxes so they'd fit more snugly.
  • #584 by kiingspade on 16 Sep 2022
  • Can someone explain to me in the OP what CF and RTF mean? And LDMP from post 115?
  • #585 by Pete-zza on 16 Sep 2022
  • Can someone explain to me in the OP what CF and RTF mean? And LDMP from post 115?
    kingspade,

See https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=20056.msg196875#msg196875

Peter
  • #586 by HansB on 16 Sep 2022

CF= Cold ferment(refrigerator).  RTF= Room temperature ferment. LDMP= Low diastatic malt powder.
  • #587 by kiingspade on 16 Sep 2022
  • Thank you. Am going to try your method and see what happens
  • #588 by nikolausp on 19 Sep 2022
  • #589 by Santo on 20 Sep 2022
  • I have been loving making this pizza however I keep having a problem pressing it out in the pan to reach the corners.

Here is today's Pizza. I took pictures of my dough and resulting pizza so you can see what's going on with the corners.

I warm the water up to 100-105 degrees F. I knead this dough in my KA for 3 minutes or so at speed 1 then like 12 minutes at speed 6. I ball it up and cover it in my 14x14 Lloyd's Sicilian pan which i rubbed down with ghee and oiled with mild-moderate amount of olive oil.

I press the dough out at the 30 minute mark and then give 15 minute rests and go incrementally further with pressing it out to the edges and corners. I am usually fully finished pressing it out at around 1.5 hours - 2 hours.

This dough is always ready for me to bake at 3.5 - 3.75 hours total time since balling. This is the point at which it looks shiny, bubbly under the surface and lively. Any longer than that and it always begins to deflate, lose its shine and overproof.

In today's effort I even used 2% King Arthur do conditioner / improver which claims that it will help stretch those and have them not snap back. I feel like it didn't do anything at all. Any ideas?
    In the photos, notice the dough is barely into the corner. And the rest of the crust is pretty tall and looking just fine along the crust except for those corners.

Thanks the pizza is still great its just those dang corners and the pressing the dough out process just keeps stumping me. The corners taste good too but its just a big imperfection that bugs me.
  • #590 by Santo on 20 Sep 2022
  • and heres the bottom. nothing wrong with that...
  • #591 by HansB on 20 Sep 2022
  • I think it's the use of oil in the pan that is your problem. I use a very small amount of Crisco, it hold the dough in place. Give it a try and see if that helps.
  • #592 by Santo on 21 Sep 2022
  • I think it's the use of oil in the pan that is your problem. I use a very small amount of Crisco, it hold the dough in place. Give it a try and see if that helps.

I tried it last week with only Ghee as i don't have crisco on hand. It helped slightly i think but i still had the same problem. It also behaved differently than the oil and gave my bottom crust a little darker of a color than the olive oil/ghee combo does.

I realize ghee has a lower melting point than crisco so maybe it was a little more liquidy than crisco would have been.

Do you think its possible that the problem is that it is over-kneaded? How do you knead your dough? I am wondering if mine is just too elastic and snappy and is hard to press out for this reason.

My kneading process as i indicated above: I knead this dough in my KA for 3 minutes or so at speed 1 then like 12 minutes at speed 6.
  • #593 by HansB on 21 Sep 2022
  • I tried it last week with only Ghee as i don't have crisco on hand. It helped slightly i think but i still had the same problem. It also behaved differently than the oil and gave my bottom crust a little darker of a color than the olive oil/ghee combo does.

I realize ghee has a lower melting point than crisco so maybe it was a little more liquidy than crisco would have been.

Do you think its possible that the problem is that it is over-kneaded? How do you knead your dough? I am wondering if mine is just too elastic and snappy and is hard to press out for this reason.

My kneading process as i indicated above: I knead this dough in my KA for 3 minutes or so at speed 1 then like 12 minutes at speed 6.

I really think you should try the Crisco, it works. That said spread the dough in the pan, let it relax, spread again...

I only mix for about 1 minute in a food processor, let it rest for 15 minutes, then ball. 12 minutes @6 seems like a lot to me.
  • #594 by nikolausp on 22 Sep 2022
  • I do exactly what HansB said with the Crisco.  Light butter Flavored Crisco rub in the LLOYD 8x10 pan all over, making sure especially to get the corners well.

Around 1 minute in the KitchAid 3.5 cup food chopper, seems good.  I then put it on the counter for 15min and cover it with a towel.  I then slap fold it a few times in each direction, to get a little structure to the dough, and then I put it into the Lloyd 8x10 pan and press it out a little.  (I see no need to form this dough into a ball, it adds no benefit that I have observed in prior attempts.)  Then I come back a couple hours later and press it out in the pan more, and it easily spreads to all corners of the pan at that point, and just stays there. 

I'll post a pic of the dough from the last Detroit Pizza I made a few nights ago, right before adding the toppings and putting in Oven.  (525 degrees for 13-14 minutes seems good)   I always add a little extra oregano to the dough right before adding cheese and toppings... can't hurt!

• #595 by nikolausp on 22 Sep 2022
  • Here's a couple other photos of the pizza prep from the a couple nights ago, in case anybody wants to see the BEFORE along with the AFTER from the other day.  I use White Cheddar on the edges, and Muenster in the middle.  Boar's Head natural casing cupping pepperoni, hand sliced right before I put it on the pizza.

• #596 by nikolausp on 22 Sep 2022
  • @Santo  Here's another dough I just made today, for dinner tonight.  Here you can see it about 2 hours after I took it out of the 3.5 KitchenAid Food Chopper/Processor.  I just now pressed the dough out into all 4 corners and it stays right in place.  (I did my normal Butter Flavored Crisco in the pan again).

Pages:
Actions