A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: The next Chef's Table on Netflix...  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
Re: The next Chef's Table on Netflix...
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2022, 01:48:14 AM »
I agree...but it's the men rather than the film..I'd rather have a slice with Chris..plus with Bonci, we'd need another slice for the translator  :-D

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2022, 02:08:50 AM »
So really, how can you not love Bianco?

Online caymus

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2022, 02:23:15 AM »
The Chris Bianco episode was pretty good. But I couldn't get into the rest of them. I can't do the flowers on pizza and the rest of them were just not interesting to me in terms of pizza that I want to watch or know more about. Very disappointing because I've been looking forward to it.

I didn't know that "Baker's Lung" was a real issue.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2022, 09:34:38 AM »
I'm only two episodes in and both episodes were for chef's whose have places on my very loose bucket list of pizza places I want to visit. I was glad that the narrators/restaurant critics/writers in the Bianco episode were only in the Bianco episode. I thought they were the weak spot in that episode.

I understand leaving these two episodes with the feeling that Bianco is more fun to be around. But I left the the Bonci episode with a deep sadness for him. The bigger than life persona that he brought to life left him depressed, felling hollow and it sounded like with substance abuse problems. The photo Yael posted, there were a bunch of poses like that. Sometimes the smile was a little better, but it was a robotic pose. Get positioned, thumbs up, try to smile, click. I'm wondering if this is the first time the real Gabriele Bonci and not "Flour Monster" Bonci has made a major public appearance.

I've never been a big fan, but the Bonci episode made me wonder if Guy Fieri had similar feelings. Also notable is that children seemed to help both chefs. Not sure if those are Bonci's kids. He has managed to keep his personal life pretty quiet. Which makes sense because if that is how all the attention made him feel, keeping those you care about away from the spotlight would be a logical step.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2022, 02:20:04 AM »
Just watched Ann Kim episode. For me, this was a beautiful film.
These are top of the line documentaries. And her inventive  pizzas were great to see

Offline Yael

• Supporting Member
  • French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2022, 06:04:49 AM »
Just watched Ann Kim episode. For me, this was a beautiful film.
These are top of the line documentaries. And her inventive  pizzas were great to see

Saw this one yesterday and it seems we see less and less pizza  :-D
Yes it was a beautiful film, a film with some pizza in it. I remember an episode of the TV series Billions, they eat a Margherita, maybe we should put it in Chef's table?
I'm being sarcastic, but you know what I mean... They could at least give a tip or two, like "the secret to my chicken is..." or whatever. I didn't even understand which toppings Ann Kim was using on some of the pizzas  :(

About Bonci, IDK... I have mixed feelings. "Fame was too hard to handle"?... A national cooking TV show?..
Having said so, his pizzas in teglia look amazing. Because of him I just custom made two 'teglia' baking pans  ;D
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2022, 10:57:54 AM »
I think as pizzamakers, we're an infinitesimal part of the audience. I'm living these films not as a pizza amateur but as a viewer and human. If I see pizza, even better  :)

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2022, 11:36:52 AM »
I think as pizzamakers, we're an infinitesimal part of the audience. I'm living these films not as a pizza amateur but as a viewer and human. If I see pizza, even better  :)

I agree Bill. I think that they are well done, I enjoyed each episode. There are plenty of pizza making videos on YouTube.
Instagram @hans_michigan.

"The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings." -Brian Spangler

"Ultimately, pizza is a variety of condiments on top of bread. If I wanted to evolve, I figured out that I had to understand bread and first make the best bread I possibly could. Only then could my pizza evolve as well." Dan Richer

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2022, 10:55:49 PM »
I agree Bill. I think that they are well done, I enjoyed each episode. There are plenty of pizza making videos on YouTube.
Well said. We have watched the first two episodes. I’m seeing them as I believe they were meant to be portrayed: more artist than artisan with compelling stories about deeply flawed people (like so many artists) doing pizza exceptionally well; unable, perhaps, to do anything else well or as well. I can’t imagine Mick Jagger as a barber, or Elvis as a waiter, or van Gogh as nurse.

The industry and especially its customers have benefitted from their innovation and earnest hard work. If they weren’t the first to do their thing, so be it. They managed to get the press, the awards, and attention. They hung in there very publicly, often at great personal cost. I go into these things expecting a degree of BS. Fiction and non-fiction require it to rise anove the vast array of things people will never see. So far, they have been inspiring and well produced. I’d bet that for every minute we got to see that ten more minutes were left on the cutting room floor. I would think that would be quite difficult for any biographical subject. Definitely looking forward to seeing the others, expecting some will interest me more than others and that there is something to be learned in each episode.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 10:58:49 PM by foreplease »
-Tony