Pages:
Actions
  • #18761 by Pete-zza on 06 Jun 2021
  • GB Bread Flour and LDM were taken straight from the freezer.  So, I used water warmed to 90F.  I mixed in the salt and let it dissolve for 1 minute, then I added the yeast, stirred and let ti sit for 2 minutes.  30 seconds in the food processor at which point I slowly poured in the oil.  Mixing completed at 45 seconds. Finished dough temp was precisely 80F (tiny bit higher than I'd like, but it was fine).  I formed it into a ball and put it on an plate and lightly oiled the ball, covered with plastic wrap.   My room temp was 70F, four hours. 

I dusted the ball with semolina and hand stretched to fill the oiled pan (about 3TB oil in a 16 inch pan).  I oiled the skin, grated the pecorino, added the motz, salami, olives, peperoncis, sauce on top in a checkered pattern.  Baked at 520F for 11 minutes, broiler on for an additional 2 minutes.  Parm, basil, oregano and oil added post bake.

The texture was remarkably good IMO.
    Jonas,

Thank you very much. The reason I asked was to post the details of your pizza in the emergency dough collection at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=8297.msg71576#msg71576

Peter

• #18762 by jsaras on 06 Jun 2021
  • Jonas,

Thank you very much. The reason I asked was to post the details of your pizza in the emergency dough collection at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=8297.msg71576#msg71576

Peter
    Now I feel like I’ve left my mark on the world
  • #18763 by nickyr on 06 Jun 2021
  • Had people over for pizza for the second night in a row...fun but I ate way too much and had too much to clean!

Sourdough Detroits with beyond meat Italian sausage. One with peppers and spring onions, one with broccoli rabe and garlic. Used the leftover sauce from my Bellucci Sicilian and used Andrew’s partaking method here as well, both of which worked well.

Then two white pizzas with 10% freshly milled rye and 33% biga. One with kale, Calabrian chiles, kalamata olives, and honey. One with mushrooms, spring onions, lemon zest, fontina, and taleggio.

Then a New Haven style with deep fried eggplant.

Doing that many pizzas in that many different styles in one evening takes a while...need to make more massive pizzas to cut down on number of pizzas.
  • #18764 by NYSS on 06 Jun 2021
  • Silician two ways.

The one on the right is https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=69420.0

The one on the left is

Both delicious!

But I think I give the edge to Andrew’s!
  • #18765 by Monkeyboy on 07 Jun 2021
  • Caputo 00 flour, 68% hydration, 200g dough ball, 3 day cold ferment
    Carbon oven @750-800 floor temp

#1 Salami, shredded mozz, hot honey

#2 Ground Beef precooked with soy sauce, fish sauce, brown sugar.  Cheddar + shredded Mozz cheese. Onions, mint, Peruvian teardrop peppers, dots of red chili sauce
  • #18766 by TurkeyOnRye on 07 Jun 2021
  • 12-hour RT ferment. 77% hydration. BBQ chicken pizza. Provolone, WMLM mozzarella, garlic-marinated chicken, hickory bacon, diced sweet onion, Sweet Baby Ray's, and diced chives from the garden.

I've been very curious to try Red Star's Instant Sourdough culture after Jsaras showed off some pies he made with it here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26286.msg672548#msg672548

My impression is that it does make a noticeable difference, and that I might as well use it in recipes calling for commercial yeast.
  • #18767 by billg on 07 Jun 2021
  • 12-hour RT ferment. 77% hydration. BBQ chicken pizza. Provolone, WMLM mozzarella, garlic-marinated chicken, hickory bacon, diced sweet onion, Sweet Baby Ray's, and diced chives from the garden.

I've been very curious to try Red Star's Instant Sourdough culture after Jsaras showed off some pies he made with it here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26286.msg672548#msg672548

My impression is that it does make a noticeable difference, and that I might as well use it in recipes calling for commercial yeast.

How do you use this yeast as compared to regular IDY.  If said recipe called for .5% Idy, how much of the Red Star Sough dough would you use?  BTW, your pie looks delicious!!!!!!
  • #18768 by TurkeyOnRye on 07 Jun 2021
  • How do you use this yeast as compared to regular IDY.  If said recipe called for .5% Idy, how much of the Red Star Sough dough would you use?  BTW, your pie looks delicious!!!!!!

Thanks for the compliment! According to the directions, one packet (18g) may be substituted for 1/4 oz (7g) of yeast in any recipe. So you will need approximately 2.54 times as much Red Star Instant Sourdough culture as pure yeast. Therefore, simply multiply 2.54 by the percent yeast required. A recipe that calls for 0.5% pure yeast would be converted to 1.27% Red Star Instant Sourdough. Using this conversion, I can confirm that I get pretty comparable rise to my yeast-only doughs.
  • #18769 by billg on 07 Jun 2021
  • Thanks for the compliment! According to the directions, one packet (18g) may be substituted for 1/4 oz (7g) of yeast in any recipe. So you will need approximately 2.54 times as much Red Star Instant Sourdough culture as pure yeast. Therefore, simply multiply 2.54 by the percent yeast required. A recipe that calls for 0.5% pure yeast would be converted to 1.27% Red Star Instant Sourdough. Using this conversion, I can confirm that I get pretty comparable rise to my yeast-only doughs.

Awesome.  Thank you!!!!!!
  • #18770 by TurkeyOnRye on 08 Jun 2021
  • 12-hour RT ferment. 77% hydration.
  • #18771 by billg on 08 Jun 2021
  • That looks Great!!!!!! :drool:
  • #18772 by TurkeyOnRye on 09 Jun 2021
  • That looks Great!!!!!! :drool:

Thank you for the kind words.  :)
  • #18773 by CheeseMcSauceface on 09 Jun 2021
  • Difara's square attempt...minus the basil.
  • #18774 by Monkeyboy on 10 Jun 2021
  • Used leftover ingredients from a previous pizza cook.

About a 220g dough ball for a 12" Deep Dish Pan
    RT bulk ferment for about 10 hours
    CF for 24 hours
    Took out of fridge at 10am for a 5:30pm cook

Garlic, Parm, Sauce, Sausage, Peppercorn Salami, Calabrians, Onions, Mozzarella, Fontina, Cheddar
    500 degrees on steel, bottom rack, about 12 minutes.  Removed from pan, then back in for a few on parchment paper.

• #18775 by vincentoc13 on 10 Jun 2021
  • Last pie of the night, ran out of pep on this one.  Baked on steel for 7 min.
  • #18776 by Papa T on 11 Jun 2021
  • I made a South Shore bar pizza for lunch yesterday, 10 inches. It's of a Lynwood style with laced edges. It's a lower hydration type of pizza, and a bit higher on the fat content than what is typically used for pizza dough.

When I make these, I typically don't use a stand mixer if I'm making 4 or fewer pizzas. This kind of dough benefits from not over-kneading. I don't know how they do it in a commercial setting making hundreds of dough balls, but I'd bet they use minimal mixing for their batches, only until is just comes together. Over kneading this dough will make it tough. I used Gold Medal AP flour. Bread flour can be used, but this type of dough recipe is for a crust that lands somewhere between cracker and bread land. You don't really want gluten formation.

The dough, when ready, isn't stretched as is done for higher hydration doughs. It's pressed into place, somewhat like a pie crust. The dough also doesn't really rise while fermenting like higher hydration doughs. It just gets a bit puffy. Because of the lower hydration, handling it is really easy and it presses into the pan well. Just let it set 5-10 minutes between pressings and it will fill the pan after a couple rests. 

I made a 200 gram dough ball and let it rise in the fridge for 24 hours. That way I could leave it there another day or two if I didn't get around to making it the next day for lunch. If I needed it the same day, I'd have used 120F water and 3.5 grams of yeast so it would be ready in a few hours.

On pizza day, I took the dough out to set at room temperature for a couple hours. After an hour had passed, I preheated my oven with a stone on the bottom rack to 500F. After about another hour, I spread the dough in a 10 inch Lloyd pan that had a bit less than 2 teaspoons of corn oil in it that I spread with my fingers to ensure coverage on the bottom and rim. You could use more corn oil in the pan if you wanted to basically deep fry the crust. That's good too if that's your mood that day.

Since the dough will pull back when first pressed out, I let it set for about 10 minutes to relax, then spread it again, letting it set for about another 10 minutes to relax. It nearly stayed put, but there was no rush, so I let it set a bit, then spread it again and it stayed in place. I topped it with about 4 ounces of sauce, 6 ounces of a 50/50 mix of LMPS mozzarella and yellow sharp cheddar, that I finely grated (called a fancy shred) from a blocks. Topping were pepperoni and fresh white mushrooms that I sliced.

Then pan went into the 500F preheated oven on the stone on the bottom rack for 12 minutes, turning it 180 at the 6 minute mark at which time I also check for bubbles to pop if needed. I checked the bottom and it was good at 12 minutes, so I removed it from the pan to a cooling rack then cut it after a couple minutes. Generally, wetter toppings and the more you use, will require another minute or two for baking. Less is more when using more than one veggie. If the bottom isn't brown enough for your liking but the top is close to being done, remove the pizza from the pan and put it bare-bottom on the stone for about a minute or so, and that should do it.

Dough recipe for one, 200 gram dough ball.

120 grams all purpose flour, 100%
    61 grams water at 100-105F, 51%
    2-3, gram salt, your call. I use 2 grams 2 - 2.5%
    1.75 grams granulated sugar, 1.5%
    14 grams oil/butter. I used 7 grams of corn oil and 7 grams of melted unsalted butter, 12% total
    1.75 grams of IDY (or ADY). I use SAF Red IDY, 1.5%

Directions:

Whisk the dry ingredients to combine. Add the liquid ingredients. I mixed it all for about 2 minutes with a silicone spatula until there was not any particulate matter remaining. Then I used my hands to fold and knead it in the bowl, until the dough was mostly consistent in color and texture, about 2 minutes. I then removed it from the bowl and kneaded on my board by folding and pushing for about another minute until everything was looking consistent and pasty. This is a fairly dry dough, so it's easy to work with. I then made the dough into a hockey puck shape, and put it into a lightly oiled lidded bowl, and into the fridge until ready to use the next day.
  • #18777 by Peter B on 11 Jun 2021
  • Removed from pan, then back in for a few on parchment paper.

I never thought of this.  Did it work?  I really want to nail down a good bar pie style.  I have tried a few things (Star Tavern style pan then stone, Kinchley's style which appears to be just a regular bake but rolled out, Tonda Romana which seemed tough to me) and I think the pan then stone version gave me the best results but it was making my stone black which I don't like.  But if I can use parchment paper, that seems like a problem solver.

On a related note - you know those boxes of paper that you might find at a self serve bakery in the grocery store (where you take a sheet and then use that sheet to grab the donut or muffin or whatever)?  That is not parchment paper, right?  Assuming it is not, do they sell boxes of individual sheets of parchment paper at a GFS type of store?
  • #18778 by Peter B on 11 Jun 2021
  • I finally got some freezer space to be able to get a bag of pre-shredded Grande 50-50 from GFS (need the freezer space so I can portion out the bag, as there's no way we'd use 5 pounds fast enough).  So this was the maiden bake.  I used the thin crust recipe from this post (https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=69808.msg671940#msg671940), so a 24 hr CF with All Trumps but a 58% hydration.  I also used some Dietz and Watson pepp that I found in sticks at GFS. 

I thought the Grande was good.  Not game changing, but good.  I had been using Trader Joe's WMLM (2 parts) and their provolone (1 part).  The only real taste difference was the Grande had a more toothsome texture that I liked.  But the real benefit was the convenience of using the pre-shredded and the price - maybe not half the price of the TJ's equivalent, but in that ballpark.  I liked the pepp also, as it is more of a meaty texture that other pepp.  It didn't really crisp up, but I didn't mind.

I also did some panuozzi, but I'll post that in the flat bread challenge thread.
  • #18779 by Monkeyboy on 11 Jun 2021
  • I never thought of this.  Did it work?  I really want to nail down a good bar pie style.  I have tried a few things (Star Tavern style pan then stone, Kinchley's style which appears to be just a regular bake but rolled out, Tonda Romana which seemed tough to me) and I think the pan then stone version gave me the best results but it was making my stone black which I don't like.  But if I can use parchment paper, that seems like a problem solver.

On a related note - you know those boxes of paper that you might find at a self serve bakery in the grocery store (where you take a sheet and then use that sheet to grab the donut or muffin or whatever)?  That is not parchment paper, right?  Assuming it is not, do they sell boxes of individual sheets of parchment paper at a GFS type of store?

Yea, I saw that coming where oily dough directly on my stone would equal smoke and a mess.  Did the parchment paper work?  Meh - don't think so...not enough. 

Funny, I grew up in NJ and we went to Kinchleys a few times!  I remember it being more on the thin and crunchy style.

The dough I make for bar style is more in line with a thin Foccacia (high hydration, maybe 71%).  So a bit spongy, with a bit of crispiness on the bottom - I'd like more crispiness.  I reheated the remaining bar pizza for lunch today.  Hot pan, slices on the pan, cover with foil.  End result was what I was looking for!  Very crispy bottom.   I think next time I may bake the bar pie in advance, let it sit for an hour, then throw it either in the oven/steel to reheat or directly on a big pan to crisp up the bottom - then cut.  Might even bake the day before, then refrigerate the whole pie - reheat the next day...not sure if it will heat all the way thru without getting overdone though.

More to come.
  • #18780 by Peter B on 12 Jun 2021
  • Yea, I saw that coming where oily dough directly on my stone would equal smoke and a mess.  Did the parchment paper work?  Meh - don't think so...not enough. 

Funny, I grew up in NJ and we went to Kinchleys a few times!  I remember it being more on the thin and crunchy style.

The dough I make for bar style is more in line with a thin Foccacia (high hydration, maybe 71%).  So a bit spongy, with a bit of crispiness on the bottom - I'd like more crispiness.  I reheated the remaining bar pizza for lunch today.  Hot pan, slices on the pan, cover with foil.  End result was what I was looking for!  Very crispy bottom.   I think next time I may bake the bar pie in advance, let it sit for an hour, then throw it either in the oven/steel to reheat or directly on a big pan to crisp up the bottom - then cut.  Might even bake the day before, then refrigerate the whole pie - reheat the next day...not sure if it will heat all the way thru without getting overdone though.

More to come.

Interesting - never heard of a focaccia style for a bar pie.  Can you point me to a formulation and a baking process?

My BIL said that he went to Kinchley's a bunch at lunchtime at an old job.  I never realized that there was anything different about pizza there when I was a kid.  It was all just pizza, and when I would visit Columbus in the summer, I just knew that their pizza was weird.  Where did you grow up?  I grew up in Glen Rock.  My sis still lives in Oradell, so I want to hit a few of these places I never knew about in NJ next time we go.  Patsy's in Paterson, maybe Kinchley's and/or Star Tavern, and I am hoping to talk my BIL into driving out to Yonkers to go to Frank Pepe's.
Pages:
Actions