A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Pan and Heat  (Read 281 times)

Offline nlavon

• I Love Pizza!
Pizza Pan and Heat
« on: April 15, 2021, 07:11:14 PM »
The instructions that came with my 14-inch cast iron pizza pan I bought say not to put the cold pan into a hot oven. I followed up with the manufacturer who said they really didn't know what would happen if I put the cold cast iron pan into a 500-degree oven. They recommended not to do it.

So, what's the effect of putting room temperature dough into an oiled hot 14-inch pan and stretching it out? Then, dressing and baking? Or how about stretching and dressing, and then sliding the pizza into the pan and making final adjustments?

Thanks for any help. I go back and forth between the two.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Re: Pizza Pan and Heat
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 07:31:06 PM »
I had a 14-inch Lodge pizza pan (1/4" thick).  There are no issues putting it into a 500F oven from a cold state.  Cast iron begins to melt at about 1260F, so you're well within spec.  500F won't warp it. 

You bring up an important practical issue. It takes a fair bit of time to heat that cold pan with a dressed pizza in the pan and the bake may not be optimal.   I guess you could preheat the pan in the oven (leave it inside) and launch an 11-inch pizza (or smaller) onto it, using it like a pizza steel.

If you have two or more burners on your stovetop, you could try stretching, dressing and cooking the bottom with full flames, and then move it into the oven for some broiler time to get the top color, (or vice-versa).
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline nlavon

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza Pan and Heat
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 10:07:38 AM »
Thanks for this. And I have to say I have really enjoyed reading your various posts over the years, particularly your formula to determine the correct water temperature for mixing dough.

The response I got from the manufacturer of the cast iron pan on this was they "...I don't think it would crack as it is cast iron, but I'm not 100% sure, so you may not want to go from cold to a 500 degree oven."

I have also read that the danger of cracking exists mainly when taking a cast iron skillet from a refrigerator and placing it into a hot oven, or plunging a hot cast iron skillet into cold water. Putting a cast iron skillet at room temperature into a hot oven should be fine, or maybe just heating it up on the burners as you suggested. So, I think next time, I'll try heating the pan up on the burners for a time and then moving it into the oven.

Thanks!

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress