Pages:
Actions
  • #41 by ARenko on 26 May 2021
  • Can You Imagine ME or YOU at a foodie gathering? It would not end well. :chef:

That said, the other guy could'nt even get my name right, so there's that. lol
    There I was agreeing with you and you call me out for a "typo." :(
  • #42 by Whisky on 27 May 2021
  • I can't even believe this is a debate. Velveeta or American for grilled cheese.
  • #43 by texmex on 27 May 2021
  • I can't believe this is not the processed cheese grilled s.o.s. thread.

• #44 by bregent on 08 Jun 2021
  • >>I can't believe this is not the processed cheese grilled s.o.s. thread.

Can't we all just get along ;D

How about a compromise.  Homemade processed cheese made from 70% Sharp cheddar / 30% Gruyere

I also followed the tip about lightly pre-toasting the bread - it really helped me get a good even color. 

• #45 by FeCheF on 08 Jun 2021

How about a compromise.  Homemade processed cheese made from 70% Sharp cheddar / 30% Gruyere

I also followed the tip about lightly pre-toasting the bread - it really helped me get a good even color.

No complaints here! I never looked into making my own processed cheese. Care to explain how its made? Looks deliciously gooey!
  • #46 by bregent on 09 Jun 2021
  • No complaints here! I never looked into making my own processed cheese. Care to explain how its made? Looks deliciously gooey!

I use the formula from the ChefSteps site:  https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/melty-cheese-slices
    I originally was making it Sous Vide, but I've found it's easier and comes out just as good by heating on low on the stovetop in a heavy sauce pan. I use a silicone mold for shaping.

Once you have melting salts, nacho cheese sauce made from cheddar and other cheese is wonderful:  https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/cheddar-cheese-sauce
    This sauce is also great for making mac and cheese that doesn't break - and you can make it with just about any cheese you like.

Some folks make it without the SHMP and use a bit more sodium citrate and say it turns out good.
  • #47 by Pizza_Not_War on 09 Jun 2021
  • Extra sharp white cheddar.
  • #48 by texmex on 09 Jun 2021

Okay, that's interesting.  I'd pour it on broccoli. Looks legit.  ;D
    Still, I'd rather slap sliced gruyere and cheddar on the bread. 
    Processed cheese is for spicy nacho cheese dip. No party is missing that Velveeta goodness, and when it congeals in the fridge, I definitely have eaten it cold on crackers. Every time I think of processed cheese I am reminded of that oddly gritty brown box delicacy (government cheese).
    Brings back odd feelings  and bias from growing up in the 60's / 70's. 
  • #49 by FeCheF on 10 Jun 2021
  • I use the formula from the ChefSteps site:  https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/melty-cheese-slices
    I originally was making it Sous Vide, but I've found it's easier and comes out just as good by heating on low on the stovetop in a heavy sauce pan. I use a silicone mold for shaping.

Once you have melting salts, nacho cheese sauce made from cheddar and other cheese is wonderful:  https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/cheddar-cheese-sauce
    This sauce is also great for making mac and cheese that doesn't break - and you can make it with just about any cheese you like.

Some folks make it without the SHMP and use a bit more sodium citrate and say it turns out good.

Thanks. I have used the sodium citrate method for making cheese sauce for mac n cheese, but never thought it could be adapted to make a solid processed cheese.

I have a big tub of sodium citrate but i just ordered some SHMP to try it.

I have some ideas for a really mild cheese for cheesesteaks using provolone and colby. One of the hardest things to make for me is a cheesesteak that never compares to a few regional cheesteaks in my area. They claim to use american cheese, but finding the perfect meat to cheese/bread ratio is not as easy as it sounds. But then again, i live smack dab in the middle of cheesesteak country between the philly and the lehigh valley. Both area's will tell you they hate the others cheesesteaks. lol
  • #50 by bregent on 11 Jun 2021
  • One of the hardest things to make for me is a cheesesteak that never compares to a few regional cheesteaks in my area.

The biggest obstacle for me is the roll. Nothing I have made myself has yet come close, and you can't buy Amororo's unless you order a big quantity. I'm still searching.
  • #51 by 02ebz06 on 11 Jun 2021
  • The biggest obstacle for me is the roll. Nothing I have made myself has yet come close, and you can't buy Amororo's unless you order a big quantity. I'm still searching.

I'm with you on that. WebstaurantStore sells them, but 48 in a case of 10" rolls and 60 in a case of 7" rolls.
    SYSCO sells them locally, but I have not contacted them to see if they sell to individuals.
    Tried to buy some from a Diner here that serves them, but they wouldn't sell them.
  • #52 by FeCheF on 11 Jun 2021
  • The biggest obstacle for me is the roll. Nothing I have made myself has yet come close, and you can't buy Amororo's unless you order a big quantity. I'm still searching.

Amoroso sells them locally in my area. You can buy them in a bag of 6 pre sliced, and also some grocery stores have a amoroso truck deliver fresh rolls every few days that you can buy single that are not pre sliced.

But nothing compares to the Amoroso rolls local steak shops get. They come par baked and frozen. They bake them before serving. You just can't compare to them. And ive tried to order case but you have to go through a company called US foods in my area as they are the only supplier that carries them. I have yet to get a hold anyone from that company as all my attempts lead to a voice mail.

What sucks is the reason i know about this is i was told by the cook at a local diner that makes amazing cheesesteaks. But covid put them out of business so i can't even ask them to order me a case. :'(
  • #53 by Jackitup on 11 Jun 2021
  • I don't mind a good banh mi baguette for cheese steaks! Love the texture.
  • #54 by bregent on 12 Jun 2021
  • I don't mind a good banh mi baguette for cheese steaks! Love the texture.

I agree. So far rolls made based on Jackie's Vietnamese Baguette formula have been the best I've made for cheesesteaks. I've recently tried several cheesesteak roll recipes from the interwebs and have been disappointed. None have the right crumb or chew.
  • #55 by Jackitup on 12 Jun 2021
  • I agree. So far rolls made based on Jackie's Vietnamese Baguette formula have been the best I've made for cheesesteaks. I've recently tried several cheesesteak roll recipes from the interwebs and have been disappointed. None have the right crumb or chew.

A great technique and recipe! I had my doubts with that rolling flat thing, but it works! Haven't made that in awhile! And they come out crackling!!!
  • #56 by FeCheF on 12 Jun 2021
  • btw, RD sells frozen par baked 10 inch "hero" rolls. They are in my opinion better then the presliced amoroso ones you buy in the grocery store chains. My only complaint is they are a little more "par baked" then i would like. I just let them thaw and use as is. Its definitely better then a few days old amoroso rolls in a bag. And my other complaint is the box is HUGE, and if you remove them from the box, they can get freezer burned pretty quickly. But honestly, even if you give 1/2 of them away and put into a smaller freezer box, for $15 bucks im not complaining. I throw away so many fresh rolls ($3.99/6 per bag) by not freezing them sometimes.

Found this interesting........

https://www.grubstreet.com/2012/04/what-is-really-in-steak-umms.html
Pages:
Actions