A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Perforated peel for large NY style pies?  (Read 979 times)

Offline pizzaguy24601

• Supporting Member
  • Owner of Eliyahu's Yardley Pizza!
    • My professional pizza page on FB
Perforated peel for large NY style pies?
« on: September 20, 2020, 04:12:14 PM »
Has anyone ever used perforated peels like Gimetal for large NY style pies? I saw that Gimetal sells larger peels. But I've never seen a pizzeria use them and am trying to figure out why! Thoughts?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • In Memoriam
  • In Memoriam 12/2020
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Perforated peel for large NY style pies?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 10:14:58 PM »
It seems to be a love/hate relationship, some people love them, others hate them. My own personal preference is for a good wood peel.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline pizzaguy24601

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 10:30:13 PM »
It seems to be a love/hate relationship, some people love them, others hate them. My own personal preference is for a good wood peel.

Thank you for the response Tom!
I was originally trained with Neapolitan pizza so I love them! Have you had success using them with the larger pies and just prefer the wooden ones or do the perforated peels not work well for larger NY style pies?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • In Memoriam
  • In Memoriam 12/2020
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 01:14:17 PM »
When you say "larger" I don't know how large you mean but I've made pizzas up to 20" in diameter on my wood peels, that was also the largest diameter wood peel we had at the time, if we had a larger one I'd have used it too.

Offline pizzaguy24601

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 01:17:17 PM »
Sorry. I wasn't clear. I'm speaking about using the perforated peels on an 18 inch pizza. I've used the wooden peels for pizzas that size. But I've never tried using a perforated peel on a pizza that size.

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci Pizza
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 11:15:48 PM »
I used a Gimetal peel on 18" pies on a gig in Bangkok. It wasn't my idea and I didn't think it would work.  But it worked great.  Opened my eyes to an entirely different workflow method that is more efficient than using wooden peels.

If the shop is set up right, you can have 4 doughs stretched and topped on the table, then open the oven door, put all 4 in a the same time, and set up the next 4. You wind up turning all the pies at the same time as well.  You've got to work fast and we used a 50/50 mix of semolina and flour for a bench dusting. You open the oven doors really minimally this way, so your heat remains very consistent. 

I'm setting up a shop now and I may use this system.  Or maybe the wooden peels.  I'll try both ways and make a decision...

Offline SonVolt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 11:20:18 AM »
I used a Gimetal peel on 18" pies on a gig in Bangkok. It wasn't my idea and I didn't think it would work.  But it worked great.  Opened my eyes to an entirely different workflow method that is more efficient than using wooden peels.

If the shop is set up right, you can have 4 doughs stretched and topped on the table, then open the oven door, put all 4 in a the same time, and set up the next 4. You wind up turning all the pies at the same time as well.  You've got to work fast and we used a 50/50 mix of semolina and flour for a bench dusting. You open the oven doors really minimally this way, so your heat remains very consistent. 

I'm setting up a shop now and I may use this system.  Or maybe the wooden peels.  I'll try both ways and make a decision...

Which peel did you decide to go with in your new shop?

wordpress