A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Famag  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Reefkeep

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Famag
« on: November 28, 2020, 05:08:11 PM »
Just got my new mixer FAMAG IM 5, it seems to work but when I turn it off or reverse the spin it blows my GFI.  Anyone else have this problem?

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
Re: Famag
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 05:15:31 PM »
Just got my new mixer FAMAG IM 5, it seems to work but when I turn it off or reverse the spin it blows my GFI.  Anyone else have this problem?

Have you tried different outlets?
GFCI outlets can go bad.
Try a non-GFCI outlet to see if everything you were doing works OK.
Some devices with motors just don't play nice with GFCI outlets.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 05:21:50 PM »
I have gfci in my kitchen and that mixer has never blown it for me

Offline Reefkeep

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 05:01:46 PM »
Iím going to replace it today and see what happens. 

Offline Reefkeep

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 02:16:53 PM »
I replaced the GFI outlet with a new one, (Leviton 20 amp), now it actually trips the second I turn it on.   :(

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 03:08:45 PM »
I replaced the GFI outlet with a new one, (Leviton 20 amp), now it actually trips the second I turn it on.   :(

A 20 amp GFCI is not good if it is a 15 amp circuit. Check the circuit breaker.
Also, try a NON-GFCI outlet to see if it works.

Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline ira

• I try to cook Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 03:06:22 AM »
If the GFI trips, call the seller if it's new, otherwise look inside and see if the problem is obvious. It sounds like it's a wire that's barely touching something. And all a 20 amp GFI means if it should have one is you can plug a device with a 20 amp plug in. It's wrong but will work fine as long as you don't use it as a 20 amp plug.

Ira

Offline markpenacho

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 11:08:55 AM »
Don't know if this is still an issue, but it is likely not a grounding issue, and more the nature of the Famag speed controller.  If the Famag uses a VFD to control the speed, these are known to not work well with GFCI outlets.  So you probably don't have a grounding issue, you're just using an appliance in an outlet that isn't suited for it.  A quick google search for 'VFD GFCI' will bring up numerous pages.

If the GFI trips, call the seller if it's new, otherwise look inside and see if the problem is obvious. It sounds like it's a wire that's barely touching something. And all a 20 amp GFI means if it should have one is you can plug a device with a 20 amp plug in. It's wrong but will work fine as long as you don't use it as a 20 amp plug.

Ira

Offline atitlan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2021, 04:33:57 PM »
Not exactly related to the original post, but this seemed like an OK addition in case anyone searches for Famag mixer problems in the future.

I recently had an electrical component of a Famag I-5 mixer stop working. Plenty of blinking lights on the circuit board inside, but the bowl itself would not spin. Going through a process of elimination with the Famag factory people in Sicily (via email) got us to the point where they determined that the inverter was not working. The factory then sent the replacement part to Pleasant Hill Grain, where I purchased the machine, and they in turn forwarded it on to me. The inverter is part of a single circuit board in the machine, and it was simple to swap it out when the part showed up. Everyone along the line was great to work with and my mixer is working again.