A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Wegman's Cupping Pepperoni ?  (Read 694 times)

Offline NepaBill

Wegman's Cupping Pepperoni ?
« on: February 12, 2021, 07:08:40 AM »
Can anyone confirm /deny the brand of Wegman's cupping pepperoni?  I have contacted them, and as I guessed, they said it's Wegman's brand.  LOL.. I found a company called Battistoni that makes a cupping pepperoni..  The company supplies Wegman's.  Just looking for someone with inside info to confirm or deny it is Battistoni brand..

Offline Zing

Re: Wegman's Cupping Pepperoni ?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 01:11:00 PM »
I am assuming the cupping pepperoni you are referring to is packed in the stores in a plastic tub (random weights) and is sold in a refrigerated case with all sorts of pizza making supplies such as sauce, cheese, crusts, etc.

I have been buying those pizza making products for the last 20 years, though less so lately because Wegmans is getting more like every other supermarket chain out there and dropping some of the products they only made or carried. I have found that they changed suppliers very often on these loose pizza products.

I am not sure how much Wegmans is buying from Battistoni of Buffalo, NY right now. If you put Battistoni into their search box right now, it auto-completes a long list of products that Battistoni makes, but none of them are available right now in the half dozen Wegmans market areas I tried. Battistoni makes many charcuterie items that Wegmans may have sold at one time.

The products are packed by the pizza counterman. I did once mange to get the man on duty to tell me the name of the regular pepperoni he was selling. I could see the pepperoni came in one of those familiar foodservice type boxes. I suggest a little social engineering at the store level. Wegmans has traditionally bought these meat products from the smaller processed meat suppliers in the New York/Pennsylvania/Massachusetts areas.

Offline marsupilami

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 10:46:46 PM »
Hi Guys :)

I feel your pain. I'm in Wisconsin and a great cupping pepperoni locally is called Margherita and is darn tasty on any pizza.
If you guys can't find anything acceptable by you I would be happy to pick some up locally and ship it to you for the cost of the product and actual shipping.
It comes in 2 tied sticks about 10" long and the cost is around 10.00. It's sold by the pound so it varies.
Let me know your thoughts.

Tim

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 07:51:51 AM »
Somewhere on the package there will be a USDA Est. #. It may be in a little round white shield or simply printed on the package someplace. Find it, and you can look up the plant that made it.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline piesofsatan

• regular slice not too hot boss
    • Three Slice Joints on Instagram
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 03:31:25 PM »
I've used the Wegman's cupping pepperoni and it was good. I also was very curious as to where it comes from.

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 10:33:32 PM »
Seems like Wegmans stick and Boars head stick all burn on the edges.
Wanted to like them buttttt I will pass on putting them on my pizza.
Buttttt I like my Hormel (different from the small bags you buy at the supermarkets}that I get to buy the Large bag at ResturantDepot for around $15...JT
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 10:35:20 PM by johnnytuinals »

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • marty, whatever happens, don't go to 2020!
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 12:03:01 AM »
we were at wegmans in ithaca last week and i noticed the cupping pepperoni. we’ll be back for my d’s graduation in a couple of weeks and will pick some up to try. i got to talking to the wegman’s pizza guy, he said they use  a two day dough fermentation process. i didnt try a slice but it looked pretty good, maybe a little bready. i can confirm their donuts are wonderful.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 12:08:15 AM by quietdesperation »
jeff

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2021, 02:31:00 PM »
we were at wegmans in ithaca last week and i noticed the cupping pepperoni. we’ll be back for my d’s graduation in a couple of weeks and will pick some up to try. i got to talking to the wegman’s pizza guy, he said they use  a two day dough fermentation process. i didnt try a slice but it looked pretty good, maybe a little bready. i can confirm their donuts are wonderful.
Their pizza is pretty good. Many locations have Marra ovens with rotating decks. They seem to have invested quite a bit in a pretty high level of quality and consistency. They also do things like ripening their own cheese in a dedicated “cave” setup in Rochester. Their customer loyalty borders on fanatical  :pizza:

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • marty, whatever happens, don't go to 2020!
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2021, 02:59:34 PM »
Their pizza is pretty good. Many locations have Marra ovens with rotating decks. They seem to have invested quite a bit in a pretty high level of quality and consistency. They also do things like ripening their own cheese in a dedicated “cave” setup in Rochester. Their customer loyalty borders on fanatical  :pizza:

I picked up a pre-packaged piece of their cave ripened cheese to examine, my wife land I  agreed it looked wonderful and she asked me how much it was. I looked at the price and said "forget it, it's $40/lb" My wife looked at it and said "yes, but it's only $10 for that piece, let's get it".

would be interested to hear people's thoughts on the two different ways of looking at the purchase. Would you have purchased the cheese?
jeff

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2021, 03:20:30 PM »
I picked up a pre-packaged piece of their cave ripened cheese to examine, my wife land I  agreed it looked wonderful and she asked me how much it was. I looked at the price and said "forget it, it's $40/lb" My wife looked at it and said "yes, but it's only $10 for that piece, let's get it".

would be interested to hear people's thoughts on the two different ways of looking at the purchase. Would you have purchased the cheese?
I would purchase it- in fact, I do so fairly regularly knowing that i pay a premium for choosing a small quantity. I feel the same about occasionally purchasing small bags of Caputo knowing that I’m paying a lot more per pound.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 03:24:35 PM by corkd »

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2021, 03:33:35 PM »

Probably not, if I were alone and didn't have a specific need for it.  Now, if hubby were with me, I would be the one telling him it is $40 a pound. So, if he says let's try it (improbable, but not impossible) I would for sure buy it.
Risa sin camisa, sinvergüenza.

Online Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2021, 03:51:45 PM »

Sure, try it. 750 ml is like a pound and a half. So $60-$65 for a bottle of Scotch or bourbon or wine is similar price/pound range.

This was like 5 years ago, but I found myself alone in Rochester on a work trip, so I set out on a pizza tour. One place recommended to me was Amore which turned out to be a nice little Italian restaurant inside a Wegman's. It was a pretty nice restaurant and on the other side of the wall, people were pushing carts around the supermarket.

Pizza wasn't amazing, but you could definitely do worse.

Edit: messed up a photo
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 03:54:32 PM by Jon in Albany »

Offline psedillo

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2021, 04:23:13 PM »
Sure, try it. 750 ml is like a pound and a half. So $60-$65 for a bottle of Scotch or bourbon or wine is similar price/pound range.

This was exactly my thought. We are here because share a passion for pizza and I would venture to bet most of us have a deep affinity for food in general.

Life is to short not to enjoy good food and spirits.
Paul

Offline Pizza Shark

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2021, 07:57:56 PM »
We've been around Wegman's for years and, in my opinion, their spicey cupping pepperoni is way to smokey and salty and lacks any traditional pepperoni flavor.  It performs as advertised but on a pizza it tastes like you're eating sliced heavily smoked salty sausage.  I can't describe it any other way... it just tastes bad. 

However, my wife just flew back from Buffalo NY fro a visit with her mom and on every trip she brings back a haul of good cup and char roni from a local Italian Market called Pellicano's Marketplace located at 3338 Niagara Falls Blvd, North Tonawanda, NY 14120. 

She brought back 5 lbs of it.  Notice how low the fat content is in the slices.  This is NOT the Margherita brand we are all familiar with in the grocery stores.  It is awesome so anyone up in that area who can access this place is golden.  This is on par with Ezzo pepperoni on both performance and flavor.   

Please excuse the crust on the pizza as I had an "accident".  I put the container of frozen pizza sauce on top of my cold proof tupperwear in the fridge to thaw that has a tiny hole drilled through the center so it doesn't blow the top aff when rising and the frozen container caused lots of cendensation that ran right into the ferment container through that little hole and my dough was swimming in it for 2 days.  I managed to salvage the top dough with lotsa flour dumped all over it while the other went into the trash and managed to get this dough off the peel and into the oven.  It was hit or miss if it would leave the peel but it did and that was the result.               
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 08:05:39 PM by Pizza Shark »