A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Favorite EVOO for Neapolitan style?  (Read 712 times)

Offline DoouBall

• Supporting Member
Favorite EVOO for Neapolitan style?
« on: February 24, 2021, 08:03:28 PM »
What's everyone's favorite EVOO either pre-bake or post bake?

I've recently did a double-blind tasting test at home between

Dell Orto Classic
Corram Estate 100% California
Desantis
Trader Joe's 100% Greek Kalamata.

Amazingly, everyone preferred bread dipped in Trader Joe's Kalamata oil which is by far the cheapest of the bunch.

I'm planning on testing this oil against Partanna and Corto as well when I get a chance, but I was curious what everyone else is using, especially for Neapolitan style post bake.
Alex

Outdoor Oven: Blackstone. Indoor Oven: Gaggenau.

Offline Sapp

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Favorite EVOO for Neapolitan style?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 09:19:09 PM »
I have tried all my fancy single estate olive oils and I can’t tell the difference. A decent generic or Italian olive oil that isn’t from the “cheaters club” is just as good. The exception is very light non tomato based pies for example a pea purée with ricotta and asparagus. Then I prefer the Ligurian olive oil which is very delicate. It is second from the left in my sample inventory. I am an Italian snob though

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 10:11:46 PM »
Da Michele uses sunflower oil and the end result is fantastic.  I think it allows the flavor of the tomato shine more.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 11:47:15 PM »
What's everyone's favorite EVOO either pre-bake or post bake?

I've recently did a double-blind tasting test at home between

Dell Orto Classic
Corram Estate 100% California
Desantis
Trader Joe's 100% Greek Kalamata.

Amazingly, everyone preferred bread dipped in Trader Joe's Kalamata oil which is by far the cheapest of the bunch.

I'm planning on testing this oil against Partanna and Corto as well when I get a chance, but I was curious what everyone else is using, especially for Neapolitan style post bake.
I think the higher end oils are liked more by aficionados' than the average consumer. Personally I just buy Organic oil from "reputable" sources. I'm not very discerning on it. For my focaccia which gets the most oil I've been using the Organic Costco oil and it is just fine.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 01:10:08 AM »
I like both California Olive Ranch and Costco's.
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline stevenfstein

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 07:39:40 AM »
I have been using Partanna and I've seen this used in several videos of various top pizza restaurants.

Best... Steve

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 07:55:42 AM »
I have been using Partanna and I've seen this used in several videos of various top pizza restaurants.

Best... Steve

^^^   It's easy to find locally and has great flavor.

I'll have to give sunflower oil a try too.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 08:34:18 AM »
I'm not wealthy enough to be picky on the EVOO  :-D :-D ;D
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Online Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 08:51:55 AM »
I like both California Olive Ranch and Costco's.

Jon's think alike. I keep a bottle of California Olive Ranch that I use pretty much only on pizza. I pour it into a little squirt bottle for post bake drizzling.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 10:37:57 AM »
Many years ago (in 2005) I engaged in a discussion with a couple of our members, Marco Parente (pizzanapoletana) and Settebello, about the oils used in Naples for the Neapolitan style of pizza. Many of our members are familiar with Marco but Settebello was a member of the forum for only a brief time. His real name was Brad Otton. He was best known as a former quarterback for USC and a Rose Bowl standout who decided to start a pizzeria specializing in the Neapolitan style. And part of his education took place when he visited Naples and tested a lot of the pizzas there. What Marco and Brad and I discussed on the matter of oils used in Naples ended up in a thread at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=656.msg11509#msg11509

As an aside, Brad went on to successfully start his pizzeria, in Nevada, and later added several other locations, for a total of five.

https://www.settebello.net/

I have no idea as to what oil Brad uses on his pizzas ;D. But it is true that many of the Naples pizzerias do not use olive oil.

Peter

Offline DoouBall

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2021, 11:47:56 AM »
Da Michele uses sunflower oil and the end result is fantastic.  I think it allows the flavor of the tomato shine more.

Wow, good tip! I knew that Da Michele used some seed oil, but I did not know it was sunflower oil. I might pick up one and give it a shot.

On a similar note, when I was at Seirinkan in Tokyo (one of the top 3 pizza places I've ever tried), the owner told me he uses a pure olive oil, not extra virgin. I tried this, using Costco's Extra Light olive oil, and it works very well. Also, this oil is perfect for making pesto in a Vitamix because it never turns bitter unlike EVOO. It's like a cheap alternative to the extra light tasting Ligurian EVOO.

Best... Steve
^^^   It's easy to find locally and has great flavor.

I'll have to give sunflower oil a try too.

Good to know others also like Partanna. I used California Olive Ranch before as well, but I think Partanna tastes just a bit better. I also recently tried this one. It was decent and very mild tasting, but I wasn't blown away:

https://www.eataly.com/us_en/olive-oil-for-pizza-16-9oz

Many years ago (in 2005) I engaged in a discussion with a couple of our members, Marco Parente (pizzanapoletana) and Settebello, about the oils used in Naples for the Neapolitan style of pizza. Many of our members are familiar with Marco but Settebello was a member of the forum for only a brief time. His real name was Brad Otton. He was best known as a former quarterback for USC and a Rose Bowl standout who decided to start a pizzeria specializing in the Neapolitan style. And part of his education took place when he visited Naples and tested a lot of the pizzas there. What Marco and Brad and I discussed on the matter of oils used in Naples ended up in a thread at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=656.msg11509#msg11509

As an aside, Brad went on to successfully start his pizzeria, in Nevada, and later added several other locations, for a total of five.

https://www.settebello.net/

I have no idea as to what oil Brad uses on his pizzas ;D. But it is true that many of the Naples pizzerias do not use olive oil.

Peter

Thanks Pete, I did actually read that particular thread when I was trying to figure out what oils to try next. I do remember that Marco said at the time, Da Michele was using soy oil due to its mildness and price. He did also recommend "De Santis" brand olive oil, and I found it here, at a reasonable price including shipping. It tastes pretty good, but does have a bit of a bitter finish, so I think there are probably better oils out there. I was especially surprised that the Trader Joe's oil beat out this one and other fancy oils. I used the Desantis for focaccia and the results were excellent.

https://bottegadellanonna.com/products/extra-virgin-olive-oil-from-puglia-100-italian-olives-1-liter

On a separate note, I went to Greece several years ago and bougth a bunch of really good olive oils in the airport. At the time, I was convinced that Greek olive oils are far superior to Italian ones, but I have to admit they have a stronger grassy taste and this may not be ideal for pizza. I would love to know what others think about this. This was the best oil that I remember from that batch:

https://www.instacart.com/landing?product_id=19785020&retailer_id=9&region_id=7836873356&mrid=890694673&utm_medium=sem_shopping&utm_source=instacart_google&utm_campaign=ad_demand_shopping_all_ca_sfb_desktop&utm_content=accountid-8145171519_campaignid-10035589159_adgroupid-101118132436_device-c&gclid=Cj0KCQiAst2BBhDJARIsAGo2ldW5dbWeSE3zihI9hgBDfpfYaxtDMUSERgoSGypeeFW-bOy9diCRBb4aAsqWEALw_wcB
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 12:13:20 PM by DoouBall »
Alex

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2021, 12:42:25 PM »
Alhema de Queiles Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Rolls
Parmigiano-Reggiano doesn't come in a green box!   - Chef Jean-Pierre

Offline DoouBall

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2021, 02:52:59 PM »
Alhema de Queiles Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Rolls

Where are you buying this, Rolls? Thanks!
Alex

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2021, 04:46:08 PM »
Where are you buying this, Rolls? Thanks!

I buy it locally (Toronto) from the importer: https://pasqualebros.com/

If you can't find this brand in particular, look for an oil made with the Arbequina varietal.

Rolls
Parmigiano-Reggiano doesn't come in a green box!   - Chef Jean-Pierre

Offline DoouBall

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2021, 05:06:05 PM »
I buy it locally (Toronto) from the importer: https://pasqualebros.com/

If you can't find this brand in particular, look for an oil made with the Arbequina varietal.

Rolls

Yeah, they don't seem to sell this one in the US from what I can see. I sometimes used this one in the past with good results:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L5ZYKLG/?tag=pmak-20
Alex