A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Jalapenos and Other Pepper Recommendations?  (Read 524 times)

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Jalapenos and Other Pepper Recommendations?
« on: March 03, 2021, 07:11:57 PM »
I like jalapenos and other peppers (hot or not) on pizza but as far as jalapenos specifically go, I've always just used either fresh or whatever the basic jarred offering is at the grocery. Recently, a Bi-Lo grocery near us was being changed over to a Lowe's foods and they had an entire aisle of mark down products, the Italica Jalapenos pictured below being one of the 50% off items so I picked up a couple of jars. I'd never had them before and they were really good I thought - something different about them? Not sure as I don't have jar anymore and I can't find a pic showing the ingredients to see if there were added spices or what?? I guess it just got me thinking that maybe all jarred jalapenos aren't the same?

Do you have any favorite brands that I should look out for? Other than the three pictured below, I don't have any others that would stand out as anything I would bother to post a picture of. Even the cherry peppers are questionable because while good, I doubt they are much different than other brands. I just buy them because the jar is bigger than most.
Carl

Online jsaras

• Supporting Member
Re: Jalapenos and Other Pepper Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 10:44:39 PM »
Cherry peppers work well in large-ish pieces (quartered).  They get lost if they’re finely chopped. 

Calabrian chiles are my go-to.  The easiest version for me to source is Trader Joe’s Bomba Sauce (fermented Calabrian chiles). 

The peppers that haunt me are Jimmy Nardellos (Italian sweet frying peppers).  It’s a seasonal topping at Pizzeria Mozza served with smoked scamorza cheese and sausage.  They appear at my local farmers market, but they’re never ripe like they are at Mozza. 
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 10:51:26 PM »
Cherry peppers work well in large-ish pieces (quartered).  They get lost if they’re finely chopped. 

Calabrian chiles are my go-to.  The easiest version for me to source is Trader Joe’s Bomba Sauce (fermented Calabrian chiles). 

The peppers that haunt me are Jimmy Nardellos (Italian sweet frying peppers).  It’s a seasonal topping at Pizzeria Mozza served with smoked scamorza cheese and sausage.  They appear at my local farmers market, but they’re never ripe like they are at Mozza.

Thanks for the tips, we have a TJ's close so I'll check out the Bomba sauce, hadn't heard of that one. I'll have to research the Jimmy Nardellos, seems like an odd name for a pepper!
Carl

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 10:55:44 PM »
Carl

Offline Monkeyboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 03:53:41 PM »
I find Calabrian Chilies out of this world on pizza, unique flavor.  Great in pasta dishes as well.
I get mine on Amazon, crushed
Tutto Calabria.

Tried growing some Calabrian peppers one year - that was a waste of 7 months of effort...pretty sure the seeds were not Calabrians

Offline Hanglow

• The next one will be better
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 04:11:03 PM »
Biquinho chillis are excellent on a pizza too, I imagine you should be able to find them

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 08:32:30 AM »
I forget the football players name, but he was on a radio show I listen to promoting something for pizza hut. His favorite combo was no sauce, cheese, sausage, pepperoni and banana peppers. I like to add a drizzle of hot honey post bake, but I really like the combination.

Offline ChrisBJC

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 05:46:25 PM »
I love fresh jalapenos , sliced, seeds left in, on top of the pizza and under the flame to get them charred a bit. TJ's Bomba also, though wifey not a big fan, so need to apply accordingly to only half... :)

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2021, 11:58:51 AM »
Hatch Green Chilies and good too.
You find them on the menu as an option in most burger and pizza joints here in NM.
Check the frozen food section to see if you can find them.
I don't recommend the canned one. Don't taste the same with all the preservatives.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 12:00:28 PM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

wordpress