A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Dough Prices May Rise as Dryness Imperils U.S. Wheat  (Read 372 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pizza Dough Prices May Rise as Dryness Imperils U.S. Wheat
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 01:08:11 PM »
That's not good.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
  • # 1 RATED PIZZERIA IN USA ON YELP
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 02:17:36 PM »
The changing weather patterns have been affecting food prices for a long time.  Lettuce is always going up and down due to drought, contamination, and flood.  I have seen a case go as  high as $120 when it is normally around $20(48 count of romaine).  Mushrooms have steadily gone up in price and down in days they stay usable.  A couple years ago a  case was $17. Now it goes between $28-30.  Basil is the hardest thing to find  that will stay fresh for a few days once cut.  The leaves tend to be weak and droopy instead of stout.  My produce man tells me all this is due to climate changes.   Cheese went crazy during the beginning of the pandemic but is back down to near normal.  It seems something(s) are always going up with our food costs and when they come back down they rarely go back to the pre spike prices.    We priced our pies to figure for swings/increases in market prices but  added $1 to all our pies when we reopen next week because insane swings/increases are becoming the norm.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 02:31:55 PM by waltertore »
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 04:18:43 PM »
Walter,

It looks like many parts of the country may be experiencing drought conditions. That includes where I live in Texas. In my case, I can water my lawn only on Wednesdays and Sundays. And I can't water between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. from April 1 through Oct. 31. The city has even created materials for use by its residents on the most effective way to conduct watering activities.

Other parts of the world are also having water shortage problems. For example, Taiwan has a company, called Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company that is the major fabricator of semiconductor components used by companies all around the world. And Taiwan has been really struggling with water problems, to the point where the government has intervened. And, according to an article at the New York Times, here are some of the measures being taken:

In recent months, the government has:

flown planes and burned chemicals to seed the clouds above reservoirs.

built a seawater desalination plant in Hsinchu, home to TSMC’s headquarters, and a pipeline connecting the city with the rainier north.

rationed water, reduced nighttime water pressure and ordered industries to cut use. Some companies, including TSMC, have hauled in truckloads of water from other areas.

But the most sweeping measure has been the halt on irrigation, which affects 183,000 acres of farmland, around a fifth of Taiwan’s irrigated land.

(Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/04/08/gm-manufacturing-chip-shortage/{

As a result of the semiconductor shortages, companies like GM and Ford have had to close certain ones of their manufacturing facilities until the shortages are corrected:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/04/08/gm-manufacturing-chip-shortage/

One of the impacts of the chip shortages at the automobile manufacturing companies is that prices for their automobiles have risen quite a bit. And because of the reduced number of new automobiles, used car prices have risen dramatically:

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/will-used-car-prices-rise-due-to-a-lack-of-inventory/

Hopefully, in your case, consumers who have received checks from the Treasury or who have increased their savings through the pandemic will be buying goods and services again and, in due course, the supply chain will get back to normal. In the meantime, some inflation can be expected.

Peter

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress