A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Question about using spinach and sausage in a stuffed Chicago pizza  (Read 155 times)

Offline macnmotion

• I Love Pizza!
Hi. I'm going to make a Giordano's style stuffed pizza. I made one once, with cheese, caramelized onions and mushrooms. This time we want to use sausage and spinach instead. I'll be cooking in a cast iron pan, no stone/steel, in a regular oven. My questions:

1) Spinach - how do I prepare the spinach? I assume fresh spinach, washed and dried? Do I use whole leaves, or chop? Do I cook it first or put it in raw? I want to make sure I don't bring in a ton of moisture from it. Do I put under the cheese layer or mix together with the cheese?

2) Sausage - My plan is to pre-coook the sausage, drain all of the grease, and put under the cheese layer. I have read that some restaurants put in raw sausage, but I'm worried that it won't cook in my oven/pan, and that there would be too much fat rendering and making the bottom crust soggy. Pre-cooking would alleviate that, right?

Thanks for any input.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
Re: Question about using spinach and sausage in a stuffed Chicago pizza
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 01:14:54 PM »
I've never made a pie like that, but we quite often make a spanish dish called empanada.  For that we just fry the spinach whole (and some chopped garlic) in olive oil.  On Neapolitan I add it fresh on top of the pizza, but that's just a 60 second bake and not covered.
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T